Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Let a buddy drive my 2SS 1LE... thoughts as a passenger

Holy shit that torque!!! Being the driver and anticipating the movements of what you are about to do very much lessens the effects.

Being a passenger, the LT1 pulls hard and with a lot of torque. This car feels at least 30% faster as a passenger.

You get so spoiled and take this car for granted as the driver. You forget how capable this car is. From the passenger seat it feels like a welled damped race car, which it is.

On a side note, I took my buddy around a on ramp and he was amazed at how flat it cornered and the lateral G's it generated. I am on worn tires too, I told him I can get another .15 G's out of it when the tires are new and fresh. I am able to get about 1 G right now near the wear bars, but routinely saw 1.15 G's when the car was new and even before the track alignment. Can't wait to get new tires on this car with the track alignment I have now.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Holy shit that torque!!! Being the driver and anticipating the movements of what you are about to do very much lessens the effects.

Being a passenger, the LT1 pulls hard and with a lot of torque. This car feels at least 30% faster as a passenger.

You get so spoiled and take this car for granted as the driver. You forget how capable this car is. From the passenger seat it feels like a welled damped race car, which it is.

On a side note, I took my buddy around a on ramp and he was amazed at how flat it cornered and the lateral G's it generated. I am on worn tires too, I told him I can get another .15 G's out of it when the tires are new and fresh. I am able to get about 1 G right now near the wear bars, but routinely saw 1.15 G's when the car was new and even before the track alignment. Can't wait to get new tires on this car with the track alignment I have now.
This is so true, I’ve only been in the passenger seat of my car a couple times but they have all been at Autocross events when I had a very fast driver co-driving with me and I have to admit it was a little scary haha it’s insane how much faster it feels from the passenger seat.

The few people that I’ve had ride along at the track were absolutely amazed by the mechanical grip of the 1LE.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Makes sense. I believe it’s recommend to sit passenger when buing a car also.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
I only have 400 miles in ours, but I couldn’t agree more. Every car feels faster as a passenger, but when it’s a really fast car it can be eye opening. I am constantly amazed at how much of a race car this thing is, and also shocked that 1) it’s legal to sell something this potent to the general public and 2) you don’t see MORE cars and coffee crashes when dumb owners disable TC and floor it.
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
I only have 400 miles in ours, but I couldn’t agree more. Every car feels faster as a passenger, but when it’s a really fast car it can be eye opening. I am constantly amazed at how much of a race car this thing is, and also shocked that 1) it’s legal to sell something this potent to the general public and 2) you don’t see MORE cars and coffee crashes when dumb owners disable TC and floor it.
I turn tc/all nannies off and floor it all the time, I know what to expect and how to control it, but I agree that I could result in a lot more mishaps from inexperienced drivers. Kind of a good thing they made the all nannies off mode sort of a hidden Easter egg.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
........I am constantly amazed at how much of a race car this thing is, and also shocked that 1) it’s legal to sell something this potent to the general public .......
Yet there is an even more potent model out there in the ZL1. I often think about trading my 1LE on a new ZL1. But when I am out driving it, can't imagine where I would use the extra 200 HP. This 1LE goes through the same back roads as fast as my highly modified C5 used to.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
Gasoline_Farts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Yet there is an even more potent model out there in the ZL1. I often think about trading my 1LE on a new ZL1. But when I am out driving it, can't imagine where I would use the extra 200 HP. This 1LE goes through the same back roads as fast as my highly modified C5 used to.
that thought has crossed my mind too, the ZL1 is simply overkill. As it stands the 1LE is faster than some SERIOUS machines (Car and Driver lightning lap board from VIR), then add another 200hp? Insanity.

The same goes for the guys on here modding the shit out of their Lt1's, i just don't see how it would ever be necessary (and this coming from someone who lives and breathes cars, worked in racing, etc)...
Old 12-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
In a world where factory cars are often over 600hp or more, 455hp doesn't do it for many people.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 AM   #9
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
It's all about having a balanced package and feeling the car's dynamics (accelerations of all kinds), not really outright speed. If that were true, then cruising in an airliner at 500+ mph would be exciting..
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
It's all about having a balanced package and feeling the car's dynamics (accelerations of all kinds), not really outright speed. If that were true, then cruising in an airliner at 500+ mph would be exciting..
SO TRUE!!! A love balanced cars where everything just comes together and compliments each other. The SS 1LE DOES that.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
The motor trend figure 8 shows the real strength of this car, unbelievable where it sits on that list. I think it's all 3rd gear too. To me the SS 1LE about all of 3rd gear and that shift into 4th. Now your going fast enough, shoot better slow down!

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/motortrend-figure-8
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
Gasoline_Farts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
SO TRUE!!! A love balanced cars where everything just comes together and compliments each other. The SS 1LE DOES that.
this soo much.

i've had a bunch of different cars (e36 m3, 240sx modded to the sky, s2000). Also worked at Porsche and drove a bunch of 911's (mostly 997, i left before the 991 launched) and Caymans. Also worked in touring car racing, so you could say i know my way around a fast car.

A well balanced car > power any day of the week and i was astounded at just how good the 1LE is. It can be hard to explain why its so good, but that figure 8 lap time board certainly does a decent job!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #13
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Similarly, we really don’t know what our cars sound like to others as we’re always hearing it from the driver’s seat. Find someone you trust and have them do a flyby.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
Similarly, we really don’t know what our cars sound like to others as we’re always hearing it from the driver’s seat. Find someone you trust and have them do a flyby.
I'm available most weekends.