Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Questions about Procharger application

Apparently Procharger is applying for a CARB certification for 6th Gen LT1 applications in the near future. This is tempting since I prefer centri superchargers to P/D due to the heat soak problems and weight.

I was looking on Procharger's website the other day and I followed a link to a magazine article covering the installation of the kit. The article made it appear that an individual with a box of tools could install the kit in an afternoon (lets just call it a long Saturday).

Is this true and realistic. The article made it appear that most of the work involved unbolting and bolting things back up. It looked like the front faring just came right off with hand tools. Can I assume it will go right back on without problems?

My second question regards the inlet to the supercharger. It is set in the engine bay and would receive hot air from engine heat. Has anyone seen ill effect for street driving or spirited canyon carving?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
I’m a tech of about 20 years now, and I can install one of these kits in about 5 hours give or take. That’s having everything prepared before I begin. It is mainly just removing parts and installing some new ones. Yes, the front clip comes off with hand tools and bolts back up in the same place without issues.

The intake inlet is fine where it is. When these cars are moving more than about 5mph it sucks the engine heat right out. I have posted some logs showing how low my IAT’s are, even at wide open throttle at 11+PSI. They are lower than any PD setup I’ve seen posted, usually by a decent amount.

That all being said, you really can’t go wrong with a PD kit either. The weight is comparable and all of these kits make great efficient power. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my procharger setup, but I think I would be just as happy with a Maggie/whipple. However since I let my wife use the car also, I’m more comfortable sending her away in a procharged car that feels exactly the same way it did when we got it, unless you’re heavy on the throttle.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
Mister Will

Thanks, it does.

I used to go on High Speed Mountain Runs with a corvette group, hence the motor in my avatar. Several others had maggies. I remember hearing a number of comments about heat soak related issues. One of the more knowledgeable guys was even considering replacing his Maggie with a centri. For this reason I would prefer a centri supercharger.

Then again, how hard is it to install a Maggie or other PD supercharger?
Old 09-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Those were older generation PD blowers. Alot has come along way far as efficiency in just the last year and it's only getting better in the near future. Magnuson is releasing a 2300x that flows another 150cfm at the same boost level...Whipple has also made some improvements over the last year. The gap in efficiency between Centri and PD has narrowed significantly. For primarily a track car I still give the edge to Procharger, but on the street it's hard to beat that instant power and you still get much improved efficiency for consistent top end pull.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Apparently Procharger is applying for a CARB certification for 6th Gen LT1 applications in the near future. This is tempting since I prefer centri superchargers to P/D due to the heat soak problems and weight.

I was looking on Procharger's website the other day and I followed a link to a magazine article covering the installation of the kit. The article made it appear that an individual with a box of tools could install the kit in an afternoon (lets just call it a long Saturday).

Is this true and realistic. The article made it appear that most of the work involved unbolting and bolting things back up. It looked like the front faring just came right off with hand tools. Can I assume it will go right back on without problems?

My second question regards the inlet to the supercharger. It is set in the engine bay and would receive hot air from engine heat. Has anyone seen ill effect for street driving or spirited canyon carving?

Thanks for the replies in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
I’m a tech of about 20 years now, and I can install one of these kits in about 5 hours give or take. That’s having everything prepared before I begin. It is mainly just removing parts and installing some new ones. Yes, the front clip comes off with hand tools and bolts back up in the same place without issues.

The intake inlet is fine where it is. When these cars are moving more than about 5mph it sucks the engine heat right out. I have posted some logs showing how low my IAT’s are, even at wide open throttle at 11+PSI. They are lower than any PD setup I’ve seen posted, usually by a decent amount.

That all being said, you really can’t go wrong with a PD kit either. The weight is comparable and all of these kits make great efficient power. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my procharger setup, but I think I would be just as happy with a Maggie/whipple. However since I let my wife use the car also, I’m more comfortable sending her away in a procharged car that feels exactly the same way it did when we got it, unless you’re heavy on the throttle.

Hope that helps a little.
Hello Mister Will, JRE is a Procharger Dealer and we worked with many of the members here with Prochargers and custom tuning Like Eyefixstuff.

I would be happy to speak with you about your project and your goals and get you headed in the right direction with a turn key package.

Feel free to call or email, 203-753-7223 tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello Mister Will, JRE is a Procharger Dealer and we worked with many of the members here with Prochargers and custom tuning Like Eyefixstuff.

I would be happy to speak with you about your project and your goals and get you headed in the right direction with a turn key package.

Ted.
^ He is a wizard!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.
Thank you for responding. But since I live in California, and Procharger hasn't obtained a CARB cert for their 2018 Camaro kits. Until then, this is just hypothetical, and should probably be kept to the forums.

Again, I appreciate your input.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Thank you for responding. But since I live in California, and Procharger hasn't obtained a CARB cert for their 2018 Camaro kits. Until then, this is just hypothetical, and should probably be kept to the forums.

Again, I appreciate your input.
We can always put you in to a Magnuson kit with CARB cert.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote