Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-07-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
Post Did any of you come from a Ricer / Euro / 4 banger?

I haven't picked up a Camaro yet, but I plan on it. Honestly, I really had my sights on the new Civic Type-R. Unfortunately, the wife was not on board with it. She said I was 'too old' (48 years old) for it and she wouldn't be seen in it. I even told her I would compromise with her and keep it the stock color instead of painting it fluorescent lime green with white rims that I had planned . She still didn't bite.

Thinking she was out of her mind (and still believing I was getting the Type-R), I casually started researching other cars a 'mature' person would drive. Euro was out of the question, I wasn't paying for the high price of servicing and repairs that was typical for something like a Porsche or sporty Audi. Japanese imports was really where my heart was because I liked their looks, high revving nature, and great gas mileage. Only issue for me was the lack of power, I would need to throw in an aftermarket turbo in just about anything I decided to go with.

Then I started watching a few videos on the 6 Gen SS because I thought it looked pretty cool. The more research I did and videos watched made me realize that this car was pretty bad ass! While I still think the Type-R looks really cool, my apatite for it started to shrink, being replaced by the Camaro. Going with the Camaro just made more sense. Reasonably priced, parts readily available and reasonably priced, tons of power and potential to upgrade, still reasonable gas mileage if driven sensibly, etc...

Anyway, this was a whole thought process that required me to step out and away from what I thought I wanted and to research something that I didn't think was an option. And in the process, realizing that this is what I've really wanted all along. I'd love to hear how others made the transition over to the Camaro as well.

I've already built up my dream 2SS 1LE on the website. Unfortunately I won't be pulling the trigger for at least another year (kids/college/'nuff said). And while I think SHOCK looks pretty awesome, I'll be taming it down a bit and going with white.
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
I came from a 2017 civic sport touring. The civic is a fantastic car, and the sport touring trim is EXTREMELY nice. Everything about the car just feels like it was well engineered (because it is), from the seats, to the entertainment system, to the ride control. It feels like a much more expensive car than what it is.

When I started looking at replacements, my first choice was the Golf GTI, but just like you, the little lady said she wouldn't be caught dead in it

My LT1 has almost NONE of the creature comforts that my civic had, but I don't really miss them. The only two things that I really miss are the blind spot camera, and the leather seats, and I've already ordered some very nice custom leather seat covers. As for the blind spot camera, well, my neck muscles just get a little more of a workout.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Not exactly "come from" because I have other cars as well, but I did have a couple of SIs as daily drivers. The most recent was a 2015 orange fire Pearl. That was a fun car for sporting around town. Unlike you however, after waiting patiently for them to bring a Type R over here, I thought it was absolutely hideous and look like a child's toy. Picked up my first SS in 2016, and I am now on my second with a 2019. From a performance standard, they're not even comparable. I will say however , that Honda build an amazing car. Nearly perfect quality, extremely smart with tons of storage and very practical little gadgets that make driving at the joy. In that regard, Chevy could learn a lot but the Driving Experience of the V8 and all that it comes with it's hard to beat.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Previous car was a 2004 Volvo S60R, not many folks know about them and their estate twin the V70R but they were 300hp AWD turbo 5 cylinders and available as an M6 mine had an atacama leather interior thar was so much nicer than the Camaro leather that there was really no comparison. They were only made through 2007 so there were not a ton of them on the roads.

The maintenance and repair cost were brutal though
Attached Images

Last edited by Jsreo; 06-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
Good to hear I'm not the only one in this boat! I hear you about the Civic. They're just so well put together. One of the main reasons I'm going for the 2SS is the blind spot detection to offset how bad it is in this car. Well, that and the cooled seats since it's so hot here year round. Hope the leather seat covers work out.
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
A friend bough a Type R, I tried to talk him out of it, it's ridiculous, and every vent is fake, even the giant Saturn 11 boosters in the back don't even provide cooling, such a dumb looking car. They may be well reliable, but good fit/finish/reliability are becoming pretty standard and a civic has nothing on a Camaro
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Just for reference, my girlfriend recently got a 2019 Honda Accord Sport. I'll be flat out honest, it is a better overall built car than the 6th gen Camaro. Not only that, but it handles as good as well. The new Accords and Civics are quite impressive for the money. Of course they don't have the presence and overall fun factor of the Camaro, but for what they are they are a great value. Plus if you're getting a V8 then there really is no comparison, and you could get a LT1 for the same price as that type r
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybub View Post
Good to hear I'm not the only one in this boat! I hear you about the Civic. They're just so well put together. One of the main reasons I'm going for the 2SS is the blind spot detection to offset how bad it is in this car. Well, that and the cooled seats since it's so hot here year round. Hope the leather seat covers work out.
You'll love the Camaro, cooled seats or not, that low end torque is precious and handling is sublime

I have the 2SS, and visibility issues, while undeniable, are way overblown, it's like switching to a widescreen monitor from an old style 4:3 one, unsettling at first but easy to adapt to and not meaningfully worse 99% of the time (I don't need to see half the sky in my windows and the windshield). I set my side mirrors correctly and only use blind spot monitoring as a failsafe, plus you can have the rear view camera mirror for full rear visibility.

The only tricky situation is when you have to merge or turn left into traffic at an obtuse angle, the C pillar being wide and the rear window tiny, but that's very rare over here and one can move around a bit and triple-check.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 06-07-2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
OP, a few things to consider. If you have not done so already, I highly suggest you and the wife go check out a used 2ss camaro at a dealer. Don't just drive it, sit in it for a while and tinker inside and ask each other if you can live with it (pros and cons, etc ). Although the power is intoxicating (and it is) the camaro is far from perfect and has several shortcomings compared to the other vehicles you are considering. I've been a muscles/sports car junkie for 20 years and owned several examples from 90's through today as well as light duty pick ups and econoboxes. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but I have a feeling it may not be so apparent to you. I suggest you make a shortlist of at least 5 models you are considering and go drive a used example of all of them at the dealer before making a purchase, just my 2 cents.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
twinschief

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I came from a 2017 Audi A4 with full bolt ons. It's was a blast with the AWD. The intake noise was intoxicating once I had everything freed up. Sounded pretty good with my exhaust but I always knew I wanted a true manual sports car. I was torn at first between a few different ones but I always came back to the Camaro SS 1LE. I don't regret my decision at all. Yes interior quality is very bad coming from a recent Audi but I knew the trade offs I was making going into this. Just pull the trigger. The V8 exhaust note with the NPP is magical.
twinschief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybub View Post
The seats are not cooled, they are ventilated, and the fans are not very powerful, so don't expect much. The cooling effect is there, but minimal.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I had a 2107 Turbo-4 Mustang Premium Vert.

My Ventilated seats work great here in NC on my 2020 2SS.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i drive a 2015 camaro RS,recently bought a civic coupe for the wife.the camaro feels like you are slow at 75-80 while the civic feels like you are moving right along.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I had a 2107 Turbo-4 Mustang Premium Vert.
Wow a back to the future Mustang! Did it have a flux capacitor too? Aren't typos fun.

On topic- back in the 80's I had an Audi coupe with a 5 cylinder. It was quirky but fun and then in the 2000's I had an Infiniti G35 coupe - also a fun ride with a stout for its time 280 HP V6. All my other sporty/performance cars have been American iron (even though my 2010 Camaro was assembled in Canada).

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote