#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #127
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I believe Y is the code for Corvette, so this could be for the big wing car we see being tested.
You are correct. Corvette is Y book code.

6.2L DOHC is going to be an animal. You'd expect it to be huge but if it fits the C7 it will fit in a Z/28.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 12-22-2016 at 10:28 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #128
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Odd. The Camaro is 'F' code, but there isn't a single F coded engine listed. It should be in with the LTG, LGX, LT1, and LT4. At first I thought that the Camaro was lumped in with the ATS & CTS under 'A', since they're all on the Alpha platform. But Camaros are still F-bodys, technically, and yet according to that list ... they don't get any engines.

Oh also ... looks like either the CT6 or some new Omega based car is getting the LT4 next year (code 'K')
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #129
hotlap

Camaro is Book A

LT4: A, Y, K
LT1: A, Y
LT5: Y
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #130
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Camaro is Book A

LT4: A, Y, K
LT1: A, Y
LT5: Y
Ah ... did not notice 'book A'. Just saw the F in the VIN code, and the string of F's for the models. Now it makes sense.

Well, LT4 for 'K' (Omega) cars is still interesting.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #131
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Another thought could be this. Since the rumor has ran around for some time over the Corvette "Zora", the possibility is that the production code for the next gen Vette that the LT5 will go in has not been decided as of yet.

Also, during the testing phase for the Z/28 nothing has to be public knowledge while they are under the testing mules. The powertrain certifications can be done in mules as well since GM will only need to certify the powertrain for production.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #132
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ah ... did not notice 'book A'. Just saw the F in the VIN code, and the string of F's for the models. Now it makes sense.

Well, LT4 for 'K' (Omega) cars is still interesting.
Hmmm. That is interesting. CTS is also book A

Ronald Reagan -
Old 12-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #133
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
For a DOHC engine 6.2L is fairly large displacement. If build with the titanium components of the LF4 this LT5 could be quite a thoroughbred.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lf4/
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #134
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Before anyone gets excited I remember some time ago we got a look at this list and there were things wrong with it, I believe it showed the LT1 engine as being DOHC as well..... and we all know that isn't what happened.

With that said I honestly expect the recently shown off 535/470 engine shown off in crate form as being the engine in the Z/28 Camaro.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #135
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
If I had to guess, I would say this LT5 engine would be in the next Vette, C8. Doubt it will debut in the middle of the 6th gen Camaro. 7th gen Camaro will probably get this engine in the SS, just a guess of course.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #136
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Before anyone gets excited I remember some time ago we got a look at this list and there were things wrong with it, I believe it showed the LT1 engine as being DOHC as well..... and we all know that isn't what happened.

With that said I honestly expect the recently shown off 535/470 engine shown off in crate form as being the engine in the Z/28 Camaro.
If it doesn't meet OEM emission standards in all 50 states, the chances are approximately 0 for that engine being used for the Z/28. Only hope would be as an 'off-road use only', non-registerable track car like the COPOs

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #137
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
A 6.2 DOHC is going to be massive and heavy. Let's hope GM can keep the weight in check.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #138
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've chewed on this since I read it earlier today....

Why "LTx"...if it's DOHC? That requires an entirely new block, heads, valvetrain, etc....it's NOT a Gen V V8....it's something new, different why maintain the same naming structure? It would be the first GM engine to deviate from the "family naming convention" in a long time. I think Doc might be on to something...
Old 12-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #139
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Why "LTx"...if it's DOHC? That requires an entirely new block, heads, valvetrain, etc....it's NOT a Gen V V8....it's something new, different why maintain the same naming structure? It would be the first GM engine to deviate from the "family naming convention" in a long time. I think Doc might be on to something...
They might just be doing what they did with the original LT5. That wasn't based on the small block at the time either.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #140
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

It would be consistent with the original 1990 LT5 used in the ZR1. Other than the bore spacing, it had nothing in common with the LT1.

Ronald Reagan -