Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Aggrsve_ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
Wink 2017 ss A8 track, sport steering control issue

What’s up guys, have any of you experienced the steering wheel soften when driving it even in track or sport mode? I feel like the steering isn’t as stiff as it should be in both modes. Feels like I’m in tour mode. Any reasons ?
Aggrsve_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Are you feeling this while experiencing understeer or just while driving around? My steering gets lighter when the car starts to understeer but that’s because the front wheels are sliding at that point. Day to day driving my steering is always set to sport mode and is very consistent
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Aggrsve_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Are you feeling this while experiencing understeer or just while driving around? My steering gets lighter when the car starts to understeer but that’s because the front wheels are sliding at that point. Day to day driving my steering is always set to sport mode and is very consistent
It’s more so when I’m just driving and I’m moving the steering wheel left to right just to get a feel for the steering wheel stiffness
Old 01-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
It should get heavier in track, lighter in tour and in between in sport

Did you maybe mess around with the custom settings so steering is no longer tied to performance mode?
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrsve_ss View Post
It’s more so when I’m just driving and I’m moving the steering wheel left to right just to get a feel for the steering wheel stiffness
If you just feel it when rotating the wheel back in forth on center then you’re probably just feeling the ‘numb’ spot before the wheels really start to grip in a turn. If you get a good alignment you can cut down the amount of rotation it takes to really feel the tires gripping in the turn through the wheel. I’d recommend going to test drive another camaro and seeing if it feels the same - if so it’s probably normal

The 5th gens had a terrible dead spot in steering feel when on center - the 6th gens are better but it’s still there and you can notice it if you are specifically looking for it which it sounds like what you are doing.
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Aggrsve_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsreo View Post
It should get heavier in track, lighter in tour and in between in sport

Did you maybe mess around with the custom settings so steering is no longer tied to performance mode?
Nope, it feels loose in sport so much that I custom setting the steering wheel to track so it can feel like how it felt before when it was on sport. If that makes any sense lol tbh I think it’s when I put different tires on or maybe the stabiltrak system is tweaking lol
Old 01-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
Aggrsve_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
If you just feel it when rotating the wheel back in forth on center then you’re probably just feeling the ‘numb’ spot before the wheels really start to grip in a turn. If you get a good alignment you can cut down the amount of rotation it takes to really feel the tires gripping in the turn through the wheel. I’d recommend going to test drive another camaro and seeing if it feels the same - if so it’s probably normal

The 5th gens had a terrible dead spot in steering feel when on center - the 6th gens are better but it’s still there and you can notice it if you are specifically looking for it which it sounds like what you are doing.
Maybe could be that, but when I do a pull in a straight line and it’s on track, doesn’t feel as stiff as it once was to me. Idk maybe I’m reading to much into it
Old 02-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
Amayes22

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 2ss
Steering Stiffness

Hey man, I just switched out the Eagle F1s for the ExtremContacts and I’ve noticed that the track suspension and steering doesn’t feel the same. I use to have to switch out of track mode to tour when parking because the steering was so stiff, but now it doesn’t feel as stiff when parking. So I’m not sure if the tires had something to do with it or not?
Amayes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amayes22 View Post
Hey man, I just switched out the Eagle F1s for the ExtremContacts and I’ve noticed that the track suspension and steering doesn’t feel the same. I use to have to switch out of track mode to tour when parking because the steering was so stiff, but now it doesn’t feel as stiff when parking. So I’m not sure if the tires had something to do with it or not?
I also have the Conti ExtremeContact tires. I do switch from Track to Sport when parking due to the significant difference in stiffness of the steering.

Not much (if any) difference for me from the stock run-flats (2SS).

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote