#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
ZL1 1LE Rotors again!?

Hello,

My ZL1 1LE has about 5K miles (that's all) but it's nearly all track miles - I rarely drive it unless it's to get to the track. About 2K miles ago, I drove home from the track and it rained - hard. I parked it in my garage and didn't think about it for a few weeks and had nasty rust spots where the calipers were. I couldn't resolve it and ended up buying new OEM Rotors.

Somehow, now, again, I'm getting a horrible shake when braking hard or basically anywhere on-track. I didn't do anything wrong this time. I had a pro at the track drive it and he confirmed it's warped rotors!

I've always been satisfied with the stock brake performance (though to be honest, I've never driven a car or this car with performance brakes so I don't know if there is better out there) however I can't keep replacing OEM rotors when they are not truly worn out but just having some kind of issue.

Anyone have any feedback or advice?
Have any of you replaced the OEM rotors with something more performance oriented and how did that work out?
Last question, on this set, I gotta say I didn't do anything bad, any chance they can be warranty replaced? How would that conversation go with a Chevy dealer?

Thanks guys...

DM
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Rotors are a wear item. As fast and heavy as your car is, every 'x' hours on track, front rotors will need replacing. The more aggressive your pads are, driving style, pace, and race track layout all are big contributors to rotor degradation.

I have ZL1 brakes on my SS 1LE. Front rotors warp for me sometime in the 30-40 track hour range. Just another consumeable on a fast heavy car. The rears will last way longer especially if not relying on too PTM too much.

There are non-stock rings and complete rotors available, but, none are going to keep you from having to change rotors on a regular basis on your track toy.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Rotors are a wear item....
There are non-stock rings and complete rotors available, but, none are going to keep you from having to change rotors on a regular basis on your track toy.
Hey thanks for the reply and the advice. I very much agree with everything you wrote. My problem here is I backed the math a little (I keep a log of track days) and I'm at about half your normal wear on rotors...I just feel like these were duds.

Anyway, I'm just looking to see if there is something either better (from a performance perspective) or more durable that OEM. If I'm spending $1000, what's another few hundo's.

Thanks!

DM
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What did you do with the ole set of rotors??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Another possibility, what can give you that warped rotors feel when braking can be uneven pad deposits. Find a good shop that can resurface rotors (per the service manual) to remove pad build up (or do it yourself). Then install and re-bed new pads per the manual. On track days make sure have the pad & rotors bedded in and you're doing a good cool down lap and maybe even drive around the paddock some. After you stop, move the car some after about a half hour. Same thing has happened to me.

This is one of many articles about this topic
https://alconkits.com/support/brake-...d-brake-rotors
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote