Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Haoie

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS
What brand of coolant should I use?

I've noticed the amount of coolant I have is empty before the first startup of the day then after a bit of driving is way below the line. Does anyone use a different brand of coolant that isn't shown on autozone?
Haoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
It takes dexcool. Don't use anything else as they are not compatible. This is what was in it from the factory.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Dexcool from Walmart or whatever auto store in the area. I mixed mine to a 60-40 ratio cuz Texas.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Use only coolant with the copywrited Dexcool/GM logo on it.

You may want to check it again after filling your overfill tank after a couple days. If it keeps going down and you don’t see any leaks check around your intake manifold. It may be leaking through and then just evaporating from the heat when the engine gets hot.

Either way, your overflow tank should never be lower than the cool line if there’s no leaks. It’s a sealed, pressurized system.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Haoie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

You may want to check it again after filling your overfill tank after a couple days. If it keeps going down and you don’t see any leaks check around your intake manifold. It may be leaking through and then just evaporating from the heat when the engine gets hot.

Either way, your overflow tank should never be lower than the cool line if there’s no leaks. It’s a sealed, pressurized system.
I found prestone dexcool, i’m worried the colors will be different though will it still be useable despite it being different colors? Where do I locate the cool line? I do notice the bottom tank is empty as well
Old 04-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
I found prestone dexcool, i’m worried the colors will be different though will it still be useable despite it being different colors? Where do I locate the cool line? I do notice the bottom tank is empty as well
The manual really does a good job of showing with a diagram and explaining how to add coolant. Note: the Camaro is opposite of most - the top tank is the pressurized tank and the bottom one is the overflow/recovery tank. Thus the top tank should always be full and the bottom tank has a fill line that is a little hard to see (its about halfway up the tank). Again the diagram in the manual is a good graphic for reference.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Prestone dexcool will work in your Camaro. I fill the lower reservoir about half full and the top full when the engine has been sitting overnight. Check your owners manual as it shows how much to add to both coolant tanks. If you are losing coolant you should get your cooling system checked.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the color, the factory pink stuff is unobtainium, orange dexcool will be perfectly fine (I've been running that since the supercharger install in late 2018, zero issues).

The "cool line" or fill line is on the side of the bottom overflow tank. When the engine is cold, the top reservoir needs to be full and the bottom (overflow) tank filled to this line.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Prestone dexcool will work in your Camaro. I fill the lower reservoir about half full and the top full when the engine has been sitting overnight. Check your owners manual as it shows how much to add to both coolant tanks. If you are losing coolant you should get your cooling system checked.
I believe Prestone dexcool is the only dexcool officially approved by GM (other than original ACDelco, of course).
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
Haoie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

I just did a remote cold start for 2 minutes then checked the coolant tanks. I filled the top tank until it got to the line so it wasn't exactly full and the bottom tank to the line as well and right after the cold start the top is completely full and the bottom tank went down a little. There weren't any leaks on the ground. Is this normal?
Old 04-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hard to say but could be normal. Take the car in and get it checked out is my advice and you won’t have any more concerns.��
Old 04-28-2020, 12:34 PM   #12
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
I just did a remote cold start for 2 minutes then checked the coolant tanks. I filled the top tank until it got to the line so it wasn't exactly full and the bottom tank to the line as well and right after the cold start the top is completely full and the bottom tank went down a little. There weren't any leaks on the ground. Is this normal?
It’s hard to tell from just a couple minutes of running the engine. Check it after a day or two of normal driving with a few complete heat/cool cycles. If the level keeps going down then there’s a problem.

Like LT4 said your best bet is to take it in.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
orange koolaid
Old 04-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
check the price on AC Delco. last time i bought it it was $13 for a gal 50/50 pink stuff.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote