Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Can anyone with an A8 Datalog 5th gear for me?

Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue when going WOT on my 2017 SS. Basically, when I'm and at WOT and the car shifts from 4th into 5th, I get an extended 2 seconds of time where Torque Management Advance pulls up to 10 degrees of timing. I also notice the tach does not snap back to a lower RPM like all other gears. It sorta drags down like if the converter is having trouble locking up.There is a noticeable decrease in power and then it goes away and the car starts pulling hard again.

I'm going to schedule to take it to the dealer but I was hoping someone possibly had a data log on a 2016-2017 A8 car and could monitor Torque Management Advance and make a pull from 4th into 5th gear. I know its a log shot because it is a 100mph+ datalog.

Thanks
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue when going WOT on my 2017 SS. Basically, when I'm and at WOT and the car shifts from 4th into 5th, I get an extended 2 seconds of time where Torque Management Advance pulls up to 10 degrees of timing. I also notice the tach does not snap back to a lower RPM like all other gears. It sorta drags down like if the converter is having trouble locking up.There is a noticeable decrease in power and then it goes away and the car starts pulling hard again.

I'm going to schedule to take it to the dealer but I was hoping someone possibly had a data log on a 2016-2017 A8 car and could monitor Torque Management Advance and make a pull from 4th into 5th gear. I know its a log shot because it is a 100mph+ datalog.

Thanks
There are dealer bulletins regarding torque converter problems that can be cured by a 3 X fluid change if it is not too late.

If it fails to be corrected by the fluid change they replace the converter and rebuild the trans from what I have heard through the grapevine.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #3
Immoralus

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS A8
I have the same issues and have noticed it on many A8 videos. I have had my torque converter replaced and it's still an issue. I just chalked it up to the gearing in the car. It definitely cause the car to lose mph.
Immoralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have noticed this as well it seems like the car is under extra labor when the 4 to 5 shift is first executed. More so than any of the prior shifts almost as if the jump in gearing from 4 to 5 is alot more than any of the prior shifts.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
There are dealer bulletins regarding torque converter problems that can be cured by a 3 X fluid change if it is not too late.

If it fails to be corrected by the fluid change they replace the converter and rebuild the trans from what I have heard through the grapevine.

Ted.
I've had the 3 flushes done when the car was at 2000 miles. The Dealer said any more issues and they would replace the torque converter for me. It's only 4-5th gear that I notice this and what has me questioning is the fact that I see "Torque Management Advance" kicking in like normal on the shift, but then it stays active for a second after the shift. On the shift it pulls the normal 20ish degrees, but then 4-5 it falls back down to 7-10 degrees of Torque Management Advance and I can feel the power loss in the start of 5th.

I'm going to end up taking it in to the dealer soon just to have the converter replaced. But I still wanted to see if this TMA thing was normal or not. I assume the ECU is activating it past the shift point due to the laggy shift.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
Immoralus

How does one describe this to the dealer? It's gonna be hard to convince them to do a 4th to 5th wot pull. Lol
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immoralus View Post
How does one describe this to the dealer? It's gonna be hard to convince them to do a 4th to 5th wot pull. Lol
My thoughts exactly LOL!

I do have a great dealer though. My service advisor told me they would cover the warranty on my car if I modified it up to intake/headers/tune. I asked, but tuning the car is a big no no?? He said if the car is done right and taken care of it is not a problem. The dealer doesn't have to tell GM anything. However, he did say if I ran E85 they would not cover the engine and advised that I do not do it.

Anyhow, since I had transmission issues before, my dealer said if I report any more troubles they will just replace the converter immediately. The only thing that is stopping me is that I want to see someone's datalog from 4th-5th to see if the the Torque Management Advance is behaving the same. It's either normal and more noticeable from the extra power I have, or the converter is having trouble locking up and causing the ECU to see a problem and is continuing to pull timing via TMA beyond the shift point.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mines been doing the same shit for months(violent shift from 4th to 5th at WOT). 3 trips to the dealer and they've done nothing. I'm at a loss on what to do.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Immoralus

This is the main reason why I haven't tuned the car... First time buying a new car and been in the shop more times than my 335. Lol
Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
Mines been doing the same shit for months(violent shift from 4th to 5th at WOT). 3 trips to the dealer and they've done nothing. I'm at a loss on what to do.
I definitely do not have a violent shift in 4-5. My canr only shifts hard in 1-2 and then every other gear is perfect. Except for 4-5 where it shifts fast but that stupid TMA hanging around making it feel sluggish.

I will say that once I had the triple flush and TCM reprogram at dealer, the random harsh shifting was gone. And I took it in for the "rumble strip" vibrations.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I have seen the torque management pull some timing in the beginning of 5th on occasion. After the shift to 5th, timing came up from negative during the shift to about 10~15 degrees retarded briefly, then came up to normal afterward. This is not what it normally does, but has happened.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #12
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I have seen the torque management pull some timing in the beginning of 5th on occasion. After the shift to 5th, timing came up from negative during the shift to about 10~15 degrees retarded briefly, then came up to normal afterward. This is not what it normally does, but has happened.
I see this on every 4-5 shift. I wonder what causes it and why it happens to me on every 4-5 shift.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
Immoralus

Same here... swear I lose races because of it lol. I noticed a 2-3mph drop when it used to happen randomly.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #14
Immoralus

So while I was perched on my porcelain throne a thought scampered through my
Mind.. What if Chevy implemented a major TQM program from 4th to 5th gear to ensure that the corevette will always dominate top end?