Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #1
iupui1299

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS Convertible Indy 500
Consider LT1 over SS??

Hey everyone! I know this is a topic that has been beat to death several times. I’ve searched and read through several of those threads. I have a 2SS 1LE Camaro on order. Stuck at 1100 so who knows when that will move forward. I was at the dealer the other day looking at what was on their lot. They had several LT1s. I had never really paid much attention to the LT1 or even considered one. I was surprised by how I actually felt about the looks of it in person. In pictures I was never too sure but seeing one on the showroom floor I was pleasantly surprised. So I started to look into them and stumbled upon one that caught my eye at a dealer not too far from me. They are asking $40k which is about $13,000 less than the 2SS. I qualify for GMS fyi. This particular LT1 is pretty loaded for that type of model. It also has just over 1,000 miles and is a certified pre owned (not even sure what that means lol). I keep going back and forth. I really like the looks of this LT1. The redline package and the white and black really go well together. I think my biggest hang ups are it doesn’t have heated or cooled seats. I love heated seats and can see that being something I might miss. It also is an automatic and I was really wanting a manual this time around. I will never race the car. Probably never even do a burnout. Just in that season in life where looks of a car, sound of exhaust and acceleration up to the speed limit are really what does it for me. I keep going back and forth. The price difference sure seems substantial and I think I can get them down lower in the car. I was going to offer $38 and go from there. Anyone out there plan on getting an SS but went with an LT1 instead? I would be curious if your thoughts on your decision. I have pic of window sticker below.
Attached Images

iupui1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by iupui1299 View Post
Hey everyone! I know this is a topic that has been beat to death several times. I’ve searched and read through several of those threads. I have a 2SS 1LE Camaro on order. Stuck at 1100 so who knows when that will move forward. I was at the dealer the other day looking at what was on their lot. They had several LT1s. I had never really paid much attention to the LT1 or even considered one. I was surprised by how I actually felt about the looks of it in person. In pictures I was never too sure but seeing one on the showroom floor I was pleasantly surprised. So I started to look into them and stumbled upon one that caught my eye at a dealer not too far from me. They are asking $40k which is about $13,000 less than the 2SS. I qualify for GMS fyi. This particular LT1 is pretty loaded for that type of model. It also has just over 1,000 miles and is a certified pre owned (not even sure what that means lol). I keep going back and forth. I really like the looks of this LT1. The redline package and the white and black really go well together. I think my biggest hang ups are it doesn’t have heated or cooled seats. I love heated seats and can see that being something I might miss. It also is an automatic and I was really wanting a manual this time around. I will never race the car. Probably never even do a burnout. Just in that season in life where looks of a car, sound of exhaust and acceleration up to the speed limit are really what does it for me. I keep going back and forth. The price difference sure seems substantial and I think I can get them down lower in the car. I was going to offer $38 and go from there. Anyone out there plan on getting an SS but went with an LT1 instead? I would be curious if your thoughts on your decision. I have pic of window sticker below.
Thats getting right up there with a well equipped (non-1LE) 2SS... I'd go for the 2SS if you want heated seats, it gives you a ton of other stuff over the LT1... (Rear Brembos for one, I feel the LT1 looks funny with painted Brembos up front and basic brakes in the rear)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
I sold my LT1 and ordered a 2ss
LT1 is good but it overall it was lacking for me.
Hope I don't regret not ordering the ZL1

seeing loaded LT1's is blasphemy and poor money mgt IMO

it defeats the purpose of a budget racer
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #4
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
For me, the main reason I upgraded from my 1994 Camaro to a 2020 2SS was because I wanted all the comfort features. If the comfort & convenience features don't really mean much to you, then maybe the LT1 will work for you. I wouldn't have been very happy with it. I'll have to say, this white car with Redline really looks great. I don't like white cars but I'd almost consider this one.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #5
iupui1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
For me, the main reason I upgraded from my 1994 Camaro to a 2020 2SS was because I wanted all the comfort features. If the comfort & convenience features don't really mean much to you, then maybe the LT1 will work for you. I wouldn't have been very happy with it. I'll have to say, this white car with Redline really looks great. I don't like white cars but I'd almost consider this one.
Yeah it’s the looks and the price that keep me going back and forth with it. I think I’ll sneak over to the dealer sometime after hours and take a look at it in person.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
iupui1299, you can do much better than that for the price. My advice is to find a brand new, zero mile 6 speed manual LT1 with no options. You might not get the heated seats, but I bet you will find one for msrp $35K-$36K. I bought a brand new 2020 LT1 with zero options and landed a great deal moments before the pandemic. I have been very happy with my bare LT1, and I am more than sure you will be as well if you choose one.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:17 PM   #7
grgus73

Drives: 2024 Silverado 2500, 2018 Trax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
I sold my LT1 and ordered a 2ss
LT1 is good but it overall it was lacking for me.
Hope I don't regret not ordering the ZL1

seeing loaded LT1's is blasphemy and poor money mgt IMO

it defeats the purpose of a budget racer
I know the feeling on the ZL1, then I go to the dealer website and they are asking $85k for the ZL1 convertible, and got my SS for $35k+ cheaper.

Last edited by grgus73; 01-01-2023 at 09:42 PM.
grgus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:36 PM   #8
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
If you’re stuck at 1100 for months then you need a new dealer who has/can get the allocation for your car. If you ordered a 2SS/1LE you most definitely will not be happy with an LT1. You would be happier finding a used 1LE or a new 1LE on a dealers lot somewhere. Don’t settle.

1100 - 3/23/2023
2000 - 3/27/2023
3000 - 3/28/2023
3400 - 4/12/2023 — 4/24 TPW
3800 - 4/28/2023
5000 - 5/30/2023
6000 - 6/03/2023

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Black
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:37 PM   #9
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Everything shy of the ZL1 has for you the same Performance, and now tracking the car , understand, but you got to find a secluded road and do a burnout now and again . I'm a Drag Racer, and doa short hase BO . But if all you are missing on the LT1 is heated seats , and Manual, is that worth going the Xtra 10 plus k for the SS , all the Xtra you get with the 2SS 1LE, you haven't mentioned being a deal breaker. And your still at 1100 status, don't cut you self short , if you want a 2SS 1LE , look for one on Chevrolet.com , you can make a deal and ship it home .
Good luck an Happy Motoring soon
Old 01-01-2023, 09:33 PM   #10
eCkO

Drives: '23 Sharkskin Gray LT1 RS "JAWZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iupui1299 View Post
I think I’ll sneak over to the dealer sometime after hours and take a look at it in person.
Glad I am not the only one who does this. I hate being bothered when I am shopping for anything. I'm in the same boat as you in a way. Been stuck at 1100 but have been talking to another dealership about allocation. In the meantime, I am going back and forth between trims and colors. Can't go wrong with either as they are both V8's. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.
eCkO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 10:09 PM   #11
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Sounds like your heart is set on a SS 1LE manual and you’re trying to convince yourself that you would be happy with an LT1. When you’re spending that kind of money on a car, I would get what you want.
Best of luck with your decision.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:13 PM   #12
iupui1299

Great advice from all……thanks for the input. Much appreciated!
Old 01-01-2023, 11:51 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’ve gone through a couple Camaros since 2016. In 2022, I sold one with the intent of buying a 1SS (which I had on order and not moving past 1100). Like you, I saw a LT1 for sale (new). I liked it’s looks better than I thought and ended up buying it on the spot.I think the SS nose is a bit better looking than the LT1, but prefer the lines of the LT1 for ease of cleaning. While I can afford any of the Camaro line up, it just came down to personal preference.The LT1 works for my needs.

Soooo, you really need to see and drive the LT1 automatic, just so you can make an educated decision regarding what you’re NOT willing to give up. If you really want a stick, I’d imagine there’s not much negotiation around that. The LT1 wheels and tires are good looking, but pretty skinny. The fat 1LE wheels and tires look and handle so much better. As was noted, the optional LT1 brake calipers may look a little off being huge bright red in the front with the standard small gray in the back. Personally, I’d paint the back red to match the fronts. On the 1LE, the brakes look good all around.

If the white LT1 you’re looking at could be had for 38K (assuming it’s a 2022) and came with an extended warranty ( “certified preowned”), I’d say that’s a good deal. Then upgrade the wheels and tires and you’re at ~42K. Really not too shabby…, for a nice looking car with some decent options.

But again, it really comes down to preferences.

Good luck!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:10 AM   #14
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Nothing wrong with an LT1! Having said that, will you be satisfied with an automatic? Willing to pay a new car price for a used car?

Setting aside the 1LE package part, I would not be willing to give up a manual for an auto, it’s a completely different driving experience. I say that having owned a 1SS auto and now a manual.

I definitely wouldn’t pay $40K for a used Camaro.

Not that they aren’t good cars, it’s just not a good deal.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote