Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #113
p_tr57

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I got mine a month after. I paid for it when it was still in R&D and there was already a line. I ordered it from a random vendor online that was a bit cheaper than well-known vendor (about $100 off). I love the way it looks and sound (CF TIPS are the main reason i bought them)
p_tr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #114
vtwin996

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I waited 5 months and got a really good discount from Phastek... The reason i waited so long was partly for the discount, but also because Borla has a really good reputation and i didn't think anything could compete with the looks of the CF tips (some people hate them)..

I got them today and i can honestly say it was worth the wait based off the looks and quality alone.. I won't be installing them yet as I am going to take them to a custom muffler shop to see about welding in my OEM valves so I can keep NPP..

The size of the Borla is bigger than i expected tho, its about 7/16 bigger than the stock pipe at the exit of the muffler. I know it will be a restriction by putting in the valves but i really wanted to keep the NPP on a budget, got the axle back for $938 + tax.

vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #115
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Horribly gaudy with the inner tip detail... Is it offered in just a plain CF setup?
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #116
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Horribly gaudy with the inner tip detail... Is it offered in just a plain CF setup?
You can get the inner tip in black or steel, i like the black better, it blends in better.
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #117
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin996 View Post
I waited 5 months and got a really good discount from Phastek... The reason i waited so long was partly for the discount, but also because Borla has a really good reputation and i didn't think anything could compete with the looks of the CF tips (some people hate them)..

I got them today and i can honestly say it was worth the wait based off the looks and quality alone.. I won't be installing them yet as I am going to take them to a custom muffler shop to see about welding in my OEM valves so I can keep NPP..

The size of the Borla is bigger than i expected tho, its about 7/16 bigger than the stock pipe at the exit of the muffler. I know it will be a restriction by putting in the valves but i really wanted to keep the NPP on a budget, got the axle back for $938 + tax.

Looks awesome. Can't wait to reorder mine! Let us know what you think of the sound! Is that the Atak or S-Type?
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #118
vtwin996

I had the OEM GM valves welded in at a local shop and it turned out pretty good, the GM valve is slightly smaller diameter than the Borla outer tip, but close enough. It saved me some money at least.

While i was waiting those 5 months I kept wondering if the Borla S-Type was going to be loud enough... thinking about Borla X-Pipe and possibly headers, but after a initial startup I think this will be loud enough... its a pretty big difference between stock..

I have not driven it yet, but will get it out tonight..

Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #119
jw0287

Drives: 2016 1SS NPP Black on Black
I dont like the inside look, if it had that carbon look all over id like them, also, I dont like the screws on the outside.

Will these clean as easy as SS? Stock SS cleans with whatever metal polish and water is on sale at the store.
jw0287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #120
vtwin996

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0287 View Post
I dont like the inside look, if it had that carbon look all over id like them, also, I dont like the screws on the outside.

Will these clean as easy as SS? Stock SS cleans with whatever metal polish and water is on sale at the store.
I'm hoping not to clean them at all, that is why i got the black inserts i.s.o. the silver.. we'll see how it goes..

I got the CF tips because i wanted something different, not something you'll see everyday... some will love it and some will hate it, i can accept that..

I did a test drive tonight and the Borla S-type is the perfect exhaust ... plenty of cabin noise, but no drone... Its way louder than any video i've ever watched. I definitely will not be doing x-pipe or headers, the axle back is already way louder than I expected.

I have the mild2wild so i can have completely open and turn on the NPP to quiet things down when needed...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #121
samwisemueller

Drives: 2015 Z06, 2017 1LE (possibly)
Is the internal construction of these mufflers the same as the ones with NPP already built in? From watching the promo videos on this, the NPP version is chambered differently than the non NPP version which means adding valves would just restrict the flow to one tip instead of two, not actually change the exhaust tone as in the NPP version.

If it works, sounds like you got a hell of deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin996 View Post
I had the OEM GM valves welded in at a local shop and it turned out pretty good, the GM valve is slightly smaller diameter than the Borla outer tip, but close enough. It saved me some money at least.

While i was waiting those 5 months I kept wondering if the Borla S-Type was going to be loud enough... thinking about Borla X-Pipe and possibly headers, but after a initial startup I think this will be loud enough... its a pretty big difference between stock..

I have not driven it yet, but will get it out tonight..

Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #122
vtwin996

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwisemueller View Post
Is the internal construction of these mufflers the same as the ones with NPP already built in? From watching the promo videos on this, the NPP version is chambered differently than the non NPP version which means adding valves would just restrict the flow to one tip instead of two, not actually change the exhaust tone as in the NPP version.

If it works, sounds like you got a hell of deal.
I tried to look for any information about the internals before I decided to swap my factory valves in, but did not find anything. They do have the option on non-CF tips to add NPP functionality to their non-NPP axle-backs so I assumed they are the same.

With my GM valves welded in on this non-npp borla s-type it acts just like the stock setup, it changes the sound a decent amount, but not as quiet as stock in stealth. I can even tell a difference with fuse pull (i have the mild2wild)..

UPDATE ON SOUND LEVEL: When I first installed this system I though it was loud and no need for x-pipe or headers.. not sure if i was just excited to hear the new exhaust or not, but after driving for the last few days I would say it could be louder... so now I'm looking into x-pipe (not sure if I'm going to do secondary cat delete or not), but not headers at this time.

This axle back sounds great with spirited driving, but still a little too quiet during daily driving, seems the interior of these cars keeps things to quiet as well because other people tell me it sounds great cruising through the neigborhood.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #123
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Hey, OP...was there any reason you didn't go with the s-type from Borla that already had the NPP valves?

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...11924cfba.html

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #124
vtwin996

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Hey, OP...was there any reason you didn't go with the s-type from Borla that already had the NPP valves?

https://www.borla.com/products/camar...11924cfba.html
I got a deal I couldn't pass up from Phastek for the 11920CFBA, $938 + tax, and i had already been thinking of saving money by swapping the GM valves into the aftermarket exhausts... why pay for something I already have..

Now I'm planning on doing the same with the Borla X-Pipe and having my GM AFM valves swapped over i.s.o. paying the extra $500 minus the cost of the exhaust shop to swap the valves in..
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #125
Luis071789

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
Totally understand your skepticism but I'm not sure if you're aware that you can find Borla axle-backs for less than $800 here - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-11923

We offer many different configurations for the Camaro 6 at a broad spectrum of prices starting at under $800.

NPP is a $900 option from General Motors because dual path mufflers, with valves, add significant complexity and cost to an exhaust system.

As you might imagine, the NPP option adds a similar cost to our systems which include this function.

Add 4 carbon fiber tips to the NPP option and the systems become costly.

Anyhow, as I mentioned you can find Borla axle-backs for less than $800.

You won't find a no drone axle-back with NPP (dual mode, valves), carbon fiber tips, made in The USA from T-304 stainless steel (not 400 series), with a million mile warranty at a more affordable price.

And as I mentioned above - We offer many different configurations at a broad spectrum of prices starting at under $800.
Is buying these carbon fiber tips alone to throw on my factory NPP exhasut system an option!?!?!?
Luis071789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 AM   #126
G Fo12ce

Drives: '16 2SS
Lisa, on the Borla exhausts with the NPP valves, in the closed circuit, do they meet the 95 DB limit outlines in the California vehicle code? Just asking because they have that new revision with stupid fines and stuff.

My understanding is that both the S type and Attak have the same closed circuit. Thanks!
• 4/19/16 2000 Accepted with 5ZU
• 4/23/16 3000 TPW:5/16/16
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/13/16 3400 Broadcast Sheet
• 5/24/16 3800 Vehicle Produced
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 5/27/16 4300 Intermediate Delivery
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
G Fo12ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, borla exhaust, camaro, carbon fiber, exhaust