Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #43
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Question is why is there air coming from the defroster when you have it off? This is truly annoying. Is it just poor design?
Yeap theres a service bulletin for this, the car is allowing too much cool air some people have gone in for the fix but still have the problem afterward, unless like mentioned above you have the heat on
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #44
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Keep your AC between 72 and 75deg and there should be no issue.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #45
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
You guys talking about turning the A/C temp up til it doesn't happen, don't live where it's really hot and humid. To do that here in Houston, I'd have to turn the A/C to abt 85-90 - ain't happening. None of these issues with any of the other 10+ vehicles my wife and I have owned while living here.

On a side note, I had the "fix" done since the had to take the windshield out to replace the faulty headline ... no improvement whatsoever.

Been in the 90s the last few days here. Put my AC on about 73, no issue.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Very humid in N Ms this time of year. My son and I were driving back from the Mississippi State football game from 11 PM to 1:15 AM last night in my 02 Impala (bought new daily driver), as he doesn't want to put miles on his 17 RS (3600 miles after 1 year of ownership!). It was about 72 outside and our AC was cooler. The Impala windshield fogged just like the 17 Camaro. This is nothing new.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #47
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG Garnet Red View Post
Very humid in N Ms this time of year. My son and I were driving back from the Mississippi State football game from 11 PM to 1:15 AM last night in my 02 Impala (bought new daily driver), as he doesn't want to put miles on his 17 RS (3600 miles after 1 year of ownership!). It was about 72 outside and our AC was cooler. The Impala windshield fogged just like the 17 Camaro. This is nothing new.
My dad had an 03 Impala and that never happened regardless of how cold you set the AC.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #48
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
While that is a possibility I would think it would evaporate off the bottom. In any event my windshield completely fogged up and by the grace of god I did not have an accident before coming to a stop so any other events are inconsequential. For me that was a very scary event and the car was only 2 months old. I made a rubber cover that covers half of the vent so air can still come out if I ever need a defroster.
Maybe we're having a different issue. While it is annoying, all I have to do is turn on my wipers and I can see just fine.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #49
BigDaddy986

Drives: 2017 RED 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
Yeap theres a service bulletin for this, the car is allowing too much cool air some people have gone in for the fix but still have the problem afterward, unless like mentioned above you have the heat on
Had mine in for her first free oil change today. Had this discussion with the service manager who I've known for some time. He pulled the bulletin and was not impressed that it would work. I have to admit it sounded sketchy. We went over the bulletin and for those who haven't heard of it here is the Paul Harvey version.

It calls for the dealer to make a tool. Using a scope to see with attach a coat hanger and a claw grip tool. Like a reach tool. Snake it in the duct work there are 2 foam pads on the door to close off the defrost duct. Use the claw to pull off the pads and remove them.

I am going to attempt to make a cover and wait to see if Chevy comes up with a better solution. Anyone have a good pattern they could share? Crafting a pattern wont be my strong suit
BigDaddy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #50
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
While that is a possibility I would think it would evaporate off the bottom. In any event my windshield completely fogged up and by the grace of god I did not have an accident before coming to a stop so any other events are inconsequential. For me that was a very scary event and the car was only 2 months old. I made a rubber cover that covers half of the vent so air can still come out if I ever need a defroster.
If it happens again, turn on the wipers so you can see....
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:57 AM   #51
Jeffok

Drives: 2017 SS Camaro
I used the thick gaming mouse pad.

I used a thick gaming mouse pad and cut it to size. The sticky part of the bottom helps is stay in place. I’ve read so many different ways of doing this, but this is the way that works out best for me here in Louisiana where you need it a lot. So sad that $50,000 car needs a five dollar mouse pad to fix this issue. Live and learn!
Jeffok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #52
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
I had an issue with the windshield fogging when the AC was on in the summer on recirculate too. But the real issue that prompted me to make a cover for the vent was in the colder weather this windshield gets condensation and even ice on the inside. One night last winter it got down really cold and I had ice form on the interior windshield, no exaggeration.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 02:07 PM   #53
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT6Speed View Post
I had an issue with the windshield fogging when the AC was on in the summer on recirculate too. But the real issue that prompted me to make a cover for the vent was in the colder weather this windshield gets condensation and even ice on the inside. One night last winter it got down really cold and I had ice form on the interior windshield, no exaggeration.
With recirc on, you have moisture in your breath that will build-up and condense on the windshield. The A/C will remove moisture but heater-only will not. Further, when recirc is on, you are blowing moist air on the windshield which speeds condensation.

It gets down to -20 deg F. (or colder) every winter here and will stay below zero for weeks. I haven't had any issue, but I know how to use wipers and I also know how to change the HVAC mode to vent/floor.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #54
JT6Speed

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
With recirc on, you have moisture in your breath that will build-up and condense on the windshield. The A/C will remove moisture but heater-only will not. Further, when recirc is on, you are blowing moist air on the windshield which speeds condensation.

It gets down to -20 deg F. (or colder) every winter here and will stay below zero for weeks. I haven't had any issue, but I know how to use wipers and I also know how to change the HVAC mode to vent/floor.
I've had many other cars that I could leave recirculate on for extended periods of time and never had an issue.

And as for the cold, changing the vent to floor does nothing when the car is off. I've tried that already. I'm talking when my car is sitting outside in 5 degree weather. With out the vent cover I made the whole inside window will actually get ice on it, not the outside. Again, never had this happen with any car I had sitting out in my driveway.

Ordered: April 2022-----Built: July 2022-----Delivered: September 2022

-Dual-Mode Exhaust (NPP)
-Red Painted Calipers (J6F)
-5 Split Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels (56W)
-Chrome Camaro Logo Fender Badge
-Second Generation Front Splitter in Satin Black
JT6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, cover, defrost, vent