Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The launch control "trick" seems to be the best way to launch these manuals. Works well, and isn't too hard on the car...it has been discussed in the fast list thread. Most who have tried it picked up a tenth or so...
Old 11-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The launch control "trick" seems to be the best way to launch these manuals. Works well, and isn't too hard on the car...it has been discussed in the fast list thread. Most who have tried it picked up a tenth or so...
that's exactly why I never tried having the engine pull me out but, 6 passes with no traction, and 3 with a decently sticky prepped surface, can't cut under a 2.25. it's just not working for me in my car
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
What is the trick?
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
What is the trick?
Go into competitive mode and floor it and the rpm should go to 4K but if you don't dump the clutch hard and somewhat slow it won't initiate all of launch control

Basically you want to use only the 2step part of launch control
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #19
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Go into competitive mode and floor it and the rpm should go to 4K but if you don't dump the clutch hard and somewhat slow it won't initiate all of launch control

I tried launch control and was not impressed:
If u launch and feather from that rpm the clutch gets cooked
I always do best with 0 wheel spin
That is just way too high of a rpm to launch at imo.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
So what is the advantage of launch control over coompetitive mode revving to 4K on the tach? I am confused about that.

I think my best 60' on the runflats was like 1.93 something. On my 20" NT555Rs with more power I am all over the place.

OP I goy my best 60's stock launching just like you said. Me trying to launch my car now at 4K is a disaster. I guess every time we make changes with an M6 we need to practice, practice, practice. Next time I go back to the track I will go back to what is basically a street start. But without descent track prep I have to pedal after the launch, or I just blow off the tires in first.

I Know what you are going to say, get better DRs. Right now the NT555Rs are my every day street tire. I did get down to a few 1.7s on my 5th gen 1LE with these tires, but I agree the good MTs are stickier.

On the runflats now 1st gear is useless and second is sketchy. The NT555Rs solve that on the street. If finances look good in the spring maybe I will spring for 17" Welds and MTs for fun at the track.

On a side question, how stout is the stock M6 SS clutch? It seems like a pretty good clutch to me, but I wonder how long it will be before I have to replace it. I T&T often.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #21
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
I tried launch control and was not impressed:
If u launch and feather from that rpm the clutch gets cooked
I always do best with 0 wheel spin
That is just way too high of a rpm to launch at imo.
Trying launch control, and not doing it as specified is not the same thing. Pretty sure the top two guys on the fast list, and the two quickest bolt on manual guys use this trick...

If you do it right the clutch doesn't get cooked, and the launch rpm with the car holding it is just right...you floor it, let the car hold the 4000 rpm, and then let the clutch up smoothly, and progressively, yet not too fast and it will not activate launch controls timing cut. The car controls the rpms until you come off the clutch. It works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So what is the advantage of launch control over coompetitive mode revving to 4K on the tach? I am confused about that.
Have you ever used a two step? It works very much the same. It holds the desired rpm (in this case 4000 rpm) but allows you to keep the throttle floored. When the clutch is fully released it allows the car to go wide open. It just makes it easier and more consistent. Trying to hold the rpm's at exactly 4000, then modulating the clutch, and when the time is just right having to floor it is more involved and has a higher chance of error and a delay in holding the throttle to flooring it...
Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #22
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
I've tried launching a bunch of different ways, all in competition mode. First was at 2500rpm, nearly every time it would bog down then go. I usually averaged 4.6-4.8 with this method. Next tried 3200rpm, here I was battling the spin too much and it was too inconsistent. I finally worked up the nerve to actually floor the gas with the clutch in in order to try launch control. Doing this eliminated any bog, spun a little, and took off, I usually got 4.3-4.6 doing this. Finally I read about the launch control "trick". I started trying this, I still let out the clutch relatively quick, but I certainly don't dump the clutch. I noticed an immediate difference. There is still a little bit of wheel spin, but the car launches hard and just takes the F off. I've now done this numerous times and it's very consistent. I've gotten a few 3.8's but mostly 3.9's and 4.0's. My car still has the run flats on and the only thing done to it is custom 3" exhaust. Since the weather has cooled off on the mid-Atlantic coast, I get no traction at 100% throttle in 1st gear now, and a hard 1-2 shit is sketchy. So I guess it will all have to wait until next spring.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:12 AM   #23
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by My87z28 View Post
I've tried launching a bunch of different ways, all in competition mode. First was at 2500rpm, nearly every time it would bog down then go. I usually averaged 4.6-4.8 with this method. Next tried 3200rpm, here I was battling the spin too much and it was too inconsistent. I finally worked up the nerve to actually floor the gas with the clutch in in order to try launch control. Doing this eliminated any bog, spun a little, and took off, I usually got 4.3-4.6 doing this. Finally I read about the launch control "trick". I started trying this, I still let out the clutch relatively quick, but I certainly don't dump the clutch. I noticed an immediate difference. There is still a little bit of wheel spin, but the car launches hard and just takes the F off. I've now done this numerous times and it's very consistent. I've gotten a few 3.8's but mostly 3.9's and 4.0's. My car still has the run flats on and the only thing done to it is custom 3" exhaust. Since the weather has cooled off on the mid-Atlantic coast, I get no traction at 100% throttle in 1st gear now, and a hard 1-2 shit is sketchy. So I guess it will all have to wait until next spring.

There's a launch control and launch control trick? I thought everyone is talking bout the same thing essentially
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
ender2664
Account Suspended

I've never used launch control without this "trick", I figured that is just how everyone did it. Dropping the clutch at 4.5 just seems ridiculous to me. When I used the trick on my stock tires it yielded the same or worse results than without and baked the clutch.
I cannot imagine, but of course could be wrong, that the clutch enjoys 4.5k.
I am talking about launching on the street and it seems we have drifted to launching on the strip. I don't have experience at the strip so I cannot really speak to the effectiveness of any techniques there.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #25
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
I've never used launch control without this "trick", I figured that is just how everyone did it. Dropping the clutch at 4.5 just seems ridiculous to me. When I used the trick on my stock tires it yielded the same or worse results than without and baked the clutch.
I cannot imagine, but of course could be wrong, that the clutch enjoys 4.5k.
I am talking about launching on the street and it seems we have drifted to launching on the strip. I don't have experience at the strip so I cannot really speak to the effectiveness of any techniques there.
You have not done the trick correctly if you are dropping the clutch and/or baked your clutch. The manual basically says to drop the clutch yes, but that is not the trick...you seem to be confused as to what is what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
There's a launch control and launch control trick? I thought everyone is talking bout the same thing essentially
Using launch control as instructed by the manual only works well on a crappy surface. The trick is a nice way to launch better when you have at least decent traction. Using the launch control as instructed in the manual cuts timing to keep wheel spin in check. The tricks different clutch technique doesn't let that happen if done right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My87z28 View Post
Finally I read about the launch control "trick". I started trying this, I still let out the clutch relatively quick, but I certainly don't dump the clutch. I noticed an immediate difference. There is still a little bit of wheel spin, but the car launches hard and just takes the F off. I've now done this numerous times and it's very consistent.
Sounds like you got it.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #26
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Interesting, all I ever tried was launch control from the computer and I got a bit of wheel spin. Never new there was a launch control trick! Since the computer sets the RPM to 4.5k, I tried releasing the clutch slowly, a bit faster but nothing else really. Not dragging the car anytime soon so never really messed with it.

Is the "trick" just using launch control and releasing the clutch faster (but not dumping it)?

SS 1LE, what is the trick man, do share! lol
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
ender2664
Account Suspended

"You have not done the trick correctly if you are dropping the clutch and/or baked your clutch. The manual basically says to drop the clutch yes, but that is not the trick...you seem to be confused as to what is what."

Didn't say I dropped the clutch I said dropping the clutch seems ridiculous which is why I always used this trick without thinking it was a trick at all and figured that is how everyone did it.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #28
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
When I mentioned testing many different launch methods and then getting my best results from the "trick", none of this was done on the track. It has all been done on a old asphalt country back road. Also, I know full well what frying the clutch smells like, none of my launches ever produced this smell. There are tons of people launching 5.0 coyotes off the limiter with tons of passes on their crappy stock MT82. I'm pretty sure the gen6's stronger clutch and TR6060 is capable of handling a fair bit of abuse.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote