Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 05-15-2022, 12:50 PM   #477
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I just want to point out that there is a difference between being opposed to EVs, I'm not, and being opposed to bastardizing the names of iconic American cars, I am.

I don't give a rip whether GM or Ford wants to build a zillion EVs, but it's just wrong to stain the legacy of a vehicle like the Mustang by sticking the badge on whatever that SUV electric thing it is they've made.

Here's the problem that GM faces. Creating a motor for the EV Corvette to produce ___ HP, it can't just create a bit heavier Camaro while using the same motor and expect people to pay $10K+ more for a Vette over a Camaro. They would need to create two different sized motors, which isn't economical for EV application. GM needs to distinguish its Camaro and Corvette brands or else it risks losing its Corvette customers. Making the Camaro a subset of the Corvette that doesn't bite into Corvette sales but can still carry the nameplate is going to be quite a challenge for GM.

One thing I'm all too familiar with is GM management's less than respectful treatment of popular GM nameplates. Hell, I heard all sorts of crap when I owned an 06 GTO. I'd get the "That's not a real GTO!" all the time. My response would be, "I think you meant to say that it's not a real Tempest". And hell, GM put the "SS" badge on a few FWD turds and an SUV for crying out loud. Hell, my prior "toy" was just an "SS". GM management could just as well make the Camaro a U.S. version of a Panamera and not bat an eye. One could argue that the current version of the Camaro isn't true to its pony car roots. I'd like to think that GM would want to preserve the Camaro's heritage, but I doubt they'll do so if it's at the expense of the Corvette's, for what I mentioned above.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #478
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Then let it die with dignity. If I’m going to drive an electric car with four doors it won’t have the nameplate from a former 2 door ICE car on it. That just rewards the automaker for fing up the nameplate. Heck, I refuse to buy a four door Charger. I don’t care how many horses they cram under the hood.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:17 PM   #479
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
I just want to point out that there is a difference between being opposed to EVs, I'm not, and being opposed to bastardizing the names of iconic American cars, I am.

I don't give a rip whether GM or Ford wants to build a zillion EVs, but it's just wrong to stain the legacy of a vehicle like the Mustang by sticking the badge on whatever that SUV electric thing it is they've made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
GM still makes the Cruze, CT6 and LaCrosse in China, along with a minivan.

True. Different markets have demand for different types of vehicles. For the US, sedans are no longer in favor. Coupes died a long time ago except for sports cars like Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, 4-Series. And they have a very limited market appeal (us) when compared to any crossover or SUV you want to offer up.

Ford’s strategy with Mustang is not one that traditional Mustang customers would know or care about and quite frankly, Ford really doesn’t care if they agree with it or not. They are setting up Mustang, Bronco, and F150 as “sub-brands”. Each sub-brand will come in multiple configurations. Bronco has a FWD Bronco Sport, a larger RWD Bronco, a Bronco Raptor, and a Bronco EV (coming soon). F150 has F150, Raptor, and Lightning. Mustang has the coupe (soon to be hybrid), the Mach E, and soon an EV sedan. Since current Mustang Coupe buyers are not the target customer for Mach E, Ford could care less that they don’t like it, as long as they continue to buy Mustang Coupes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
They did bring the CT6 hybrid over and for a while the Buick Envision but GM has not shown much interest in importing from their China plants.
Doesn’t the Buick Envision still come from China? Really nice looking vehicle now. Especially the Avenir trim.

I know a guy who has a CT6 V. Says it is one of 250. Told him he’d better hang on to that one.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #480
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
True. Different markets have demand for different types of vehicles. For the US, sedans are no longer in favor. Coupes died a long time ago except for sports cars like Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, 4-Series. And they have a very limited market appeal (us) when compared to any crossover or SUV you want to offer up.

Ford’s strategy with Mustang is not one that traditional Mustang customers would know or care about and quite frankly, Ford really doesn’t care if they agree with it or not. They are setting up Mustang, Bronco, and F150 as “sub-brands”. Each sub-brand will come in multiple configurations. Bronco has a FWD Bronco Sport, a larger RWD Bronco, a Bronco Raptor, and a Bronco EV (coming soon). F150 has F150, Raptor, and Lightning. Mustang has the coupe (soon to be hybrid), the Mach E, and soon an EV sedan. Since current Mustang Coupe buyers are not the target customer for Mach E, Ford could care less that they don’t like it, as long as they continue to buy Mustang Coupes.

Doesn’t the Buick Envision still come from China? Really nice looking vehicle now. Especially the Avenir trim.

I know a guy who has a CT6 V. Says it is one of 250. Told him he’d better hang on to that one.
This is where GM may have missed the bus. If they drop the Coupe ICE and/or hybrid option for a Camaro will that portion of their customer base swap over to the Corvette? For me the answer is no. I have no problem with the Vette, but it doesn't have enough space for my needs. At that point I probably end up in my current car for a long time, or in a Challenger or Mustang Coupe.

IMHO GM should target the Corvette against supercars and have a hybrid Camaro Coupe to compete against the Mustang and Challenger.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #481
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
This is where GM may have missed the bus. If they drop the Coupe ICE and/or hybrid option for a Camaro will that portion of their customer base swap over to the Corvette? For me the answer is no. I have no problem with the Vette, but it doesn't have enough space for my needs. At that point I probably end up in my current car for a long time, or in a Challenger or Mustang Coupe.

IMHO GM should target the Corvette against supercars and have a hybrid Camaro Coupe to compete against the Mustang and Challenger.
Under different circumstances they may have, but there are two things that work against that idea.
  1. Camaro can currently be produced at the price points it’s at because it shares the Alpha architecture and an assembly plant with Cadillac. Once Cadillac goes all electric, no more Alpha. Camaro cannot afford to hold a unique architecture and an assembly plant all to itself. Corvette can, but then Corvette is priced differently.
  2. GM very definitively slammed the door on hybrids (except in China) 2 or 3 years ago. The only reason Corvette is getting a hybrid is that the applications were too far along in development when GM decided to drop-kick anything that smelled like a hybrid.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-15-2022, 05:22 PM   #482
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
That's a shame. That fact alone will probably put me in an S650 Mustang at some point.
be careful leaving cars and coffee
Old 05-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #483
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
So when should we get more news on the future of this car? summer? fall?
Old 05-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #484
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Under different circumstances they may have, but there are two things that work against that idea.
  1. Camaro can currently be produced at the price points it’s at because it shares the Alpha architecture and an assembly plant with Cadillac. Once Cadillac goes all electric, no more Alpha. Camaro cannot afford to hold a unique architecture and an assembly plant all to itself. Corvette can, but then Corvette is priced differently.
  2. GM very definitively slammed the door on hybrids (except in China) 2 or 3 years ago. The only reason Corvette is getting a hybrid is that the applications were too far along in development when GM decided to drop-kick anything that smelled like a hybrid.
1. Ford seems to be able to make it work profitably with the Mustang. Why can’t GM do the same thing with the Camaro? If they sold more Camaros they could cover the fixed cost of the plant. Rather than address the sales issue, they’re giving up on the product.
2. That’s not a reason not to build a hybrid, that’s just a ‘we’re not going to build hybrids’ statement.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #485
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
So when should we get more news on the future of this car? summer? fall?
GM will keep it a secret for as long as they can, would be my bet. Once they announce the new model, it might affect the price of the outgoing model. I would guess that it might increase the price of the ICE Camaro (especially if GM's announcement is a radical departure from the current Camaro), but that's going to depend on what the new Camaro is like. I would guess the 4th quarter of this year might be when they announce it, kind of like they did with the Hummer with a Super Bowl ad.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #486
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Is Al Oppenheimer still involved with GM's EV division?
Old 05-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #487
TacticalByte
GM Employee

Drives: 2022 LT1 w/ RS+Tech
I'm very late to conversation...

But I can almost guarantee GM isn't going to convert nor offer a 4 door version of the EV Camaro like Ford did to the Mustang, personally Ford should have given that car a name of it's own, I vomit just about every time I pull up next to one.

Anyways, if you didn't catch the news, there's already a fully EV Corvette coming as early as 2023, I may or may not have seen it camouflaged recently. It's actually faster off the line than it's current propulsion setup. The reason for this is two things:
  • Instant Power instead of built up power
  • Power going to all four wheels

Keep this in mind as Camaro would most likely follow a similar setup. So what you'll end up with is a really cool looking car faster than it's predecessors.

Try and keep an open mind, don't have an immediate distaste for an EV Camaro based on Prius or Mach-E designs.

The EV Corvette - couldn't tell yea it was an EV just by looking at it, looked very similar to it's previous generations.

09/01/2021: 1100 | 09/24/2021: 2000
09/29/2021: 3000 | 10/05/2021: 3100 | 10/11/2021: 3400 | 10/26/2021: 3800 (TPW 10/25/2021)
JCT - Picked and Paired: 11/04/2021 | Dispatched: 11/05/2021 | Delivered: 11/08/2021
Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #488
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalByte View Post
I'm very late to conversation...

But I can almost guarantee GM isn't going to convert nor offer a 4 door version of the EV Camaro like Ford did to the Mustang, personally Ford should have given that car a name of it's own, I vomit just about every time I pull up next to one.

Anyways, if you didn't catch the news, there's already a fully EV Corvette coming as early as 2023, I may or may not have seen it camouflaged recently. It's actually faster off the line than it's current propulsion setup. The reason for this is two things:
  • Instant Power instead of built up power
  • Power going to all four wheels

Keep this in mind as Camaro would most likely follow a similar setup. So what you'll end up with is a really cool looking car faster than it's predecessors.

Try and keep an open mind, don't have an immediate distaste for an EV Camaro based on Prius or Mach-E designs.

The EV Corvette - couldn't tell yea it was an EV just by looking at it, looked very similar to it's previous generations.
Electrified Corvette in 2023. Fully electric sometime after that. No disclosure on how long after that. Electrified means it could be hybrid. This is the often discussed ”E-Ray”. If there is a god, hopefully it gets a real name. Like Grand Sport. It will have an electric motor on the front axle, located in the frunk that will provide all-wheel drive and propulsion assist. There will still be an LT2 behind the driver. There is also expectation of a Zora model which would have the LT6 or maybe even a boosted version (LT7) with an electric motor on the front axle providing up to 1,000 combined hp.

By the time it goes all-electric it may very well be C9 and based off of a skateboard architecture like the rest of GM’s EV lineup.

https://insideevs.com/news/581880/ch...d-teaser-snow/

Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #489
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
ever steeped on a stingray?it feels like a prolonged electric shock...perhaps stingray is still appropriate.if GM can come up with a reasonably cool 2 door coupe i dont care what they name it.just make it cool and affordably priced.does it cost any more for GM to style a cool car than it does an ugly one?
Old 05-16-2022, 08:31 AM   #490
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Had to stop and put gas in the bike this AM. The way the gas prices are going with no end in site... I'm sure EV purchases will start climbing a bit. I think for the average person an EV purchase is still out of reach. They are simply just to expensive for most. (Even with incentives).

The thing for me (and I'd assume many are in the same boat or worse) A level II charger requires a 50amp circuit. My home is only 100amp. I'd have to up my home too a 200amp, then dig up the cable going from my home to my garage to up the size of the cable so that I can up the service in the garage to accommodate a level II charger (or two) depending on if we replace both mine and my wifes car. Then have to have someone wire the garage once the service is upgraded. That is all on top of the cost of the EV.

It just isn't reasonable to consider it. As they become more popular the gov and local state is simply going to shift the taxes from gas to electricity. They've already started to do it in some respects. Renewing your registration here costs more if your vehicle is an EV.

But... like I said, the cost of gas these days with no end in site will do exactly what this administration wants... Begin to force people into at least considering it.

For me... (if i'm forced into an EV in my lifetime) I will get the best bang for my buck. It will be whatever is the best crossover at the time I'm looking. I could carless about anything other then it being an appliance to get me from point A to point B. Many vehicles by then will be autonomous anyway.

Last edited by jamala00; 05-16-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread