#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
When your V8 starts at $37,295 and your direct competitors start at $31,995 (Challenger R/T) and $32,395, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

You need to quantify that disadvantage in terms of sales, otherwise it's pure speculation. My guess you will still find the Mustang sells way more V6 and EB variants over base GTs, and the Challenger obviously doesn't sell as well as the Camaro. So if there is any disadvantage, it's the packaging of the Camaro LT cars that's probably more of a disadvantage compared to the Mustang. Not the lack of a cheap V8 which there is no proof I've seen, actually is a major factor in sales. Most people looking for a cheap pony car aren't looking for a V8 because they already think or can't afford V8 mileage and insurance costs.

Just my opinion.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
When the Z/28 comes out it will more then likely be close to 83K not 100k with that said it's not for all people, like all cars out there you have an entry level Camaro with a 2.0T at under 26k from there you have models that are out to 50k, then we will have 3 more models that are pure performance cars, and there price will be more then most of the line, but at whatever price they will be it will be 1/2 of any car in its class.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Camaro was never or should ever be out of the reach of the average buyer.
It is iconic for a reason. Anyone who put it a hards days work could turn the key and have the V8 rumble on the way home.
Of course we want the best but there is a limit.
69 ZL1 was pretty far out of my reach.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I wish people would stop whining about people that whine.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
When your V8 starts at $37,295 and your direct competitors start at $31,995 (Challenger R/T) and $32,395, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Not everyone buying SS Camaros, Mustang GTs and Challenger R/Ts are looking for the best performing or are a brand loyal enthusiast. Many are looking for an affordable V8 sport coupe that looks good. It doesn't matter that the Camaro SS will run circles around both of them.

I believe team Camaro should be looking to out perform both as well as many other cars that cost much more but the laser focus on standard performance (and the cost that came with it) will hurt Camaro in the long run.
You can't compare prices for one car with destination and another car without. The '16 Mustang GT base price (with destination) is $33,295. The Camaro's price you listed already has this added in. It doesn't change your point, but closes the gap some.

I almost think GM should start quoting prices without destination, since many people seem to overlook this during comparison shopping.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #20
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I can see and understand that, Camaro SS running circles around them both is the exact point. You pay what you get. Pay less, get less. Camaro sales are only increasing and will keep increasing due to the quality and the bang for the buck you get. SS sales have already started beating the mustang and challanger sales, not the overall sales #'s but it hasn't even been a year for the gen6.
Where are you getting your sales numbers? Camaro hasn't rebounded from its awful 2015 showing, and is getting pantsed by the Mustang.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I can see and understand that, Camaro SS running circles around them both is the exact point. You pay what you get. Pay less, get less. Camaro sales are only increasing and will keep increasing due to the quality and the bang for the buck you get. SS sales have already started beating the mustang and challanger sales, not the overall sales #'s but it hasn't even been a year for the .
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451571
You might want to check this out. Camaro sales have been mainly flat from the beginning. It hasn't out sold the Mustang since way back in 2014.

Last edited by motorhead; 05-23-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #22
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451571
You might want to check this out. Camaro sales have been mainly flat from the beginning. It hasn't out sold the Mustang since way back in 2014.
Fixed that for you.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #23
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Fixed that for you.
Thank you. I dont't know why my tablet always wants to remove "n't". Strange.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #24
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
. At some point any inanimate object is only worth what it takes to build and a little extra to cover the cost of business. Pricing something that high without giving any merit to the cost to replicate that performance level on another platform is ridiculous.
Actually an inanimate object is worth what people will pay for it. It has nothing to do with production cost. The market will dictate whether or not you've priced the object in question accordingly. Look at the last gen Z/28 it was limited production. A great track car. Performed way above it's price point but at $75k the market said NOPE! Conversely the Mustang GT 350 is commanding above the price point Ford put on it. It's all about what people want.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #25
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
That is a somewhat valid point but what something sells for and what it's really worth are two different things. Speculation and people in the 1st paragraph of that post influence price, not value/worth.

Here's what I think about "the market"

"A bubble is a type of investing phenomenon that demonstrates the frailty of some facets of human emotion. A bubble occurs when investors put so much demand on a stock that they drive the price beyond any accurate or rational reflection of its actual worth, which should be determined by the performance of the underlying company. Like the soap bubbles a child likes to blow, investing bubbles often appear as though they will rise forever, but since they are not formed from anything substantial, they eventually pop. And when they do, the money that was invested into them dissipates into the wind."
Old 05-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Actually an inanimate object is worth what people will pay for it. It has nothing to do with production cost. The market will dictate whether or not you've priced the object in question accordingly. Look at the last gen Z/28 it was limited production. A great track car. Performed way above it's price point but at $75k the market said NOPE! Conversely the Mustang GT 350 is commanding above the price point Ford put on it. It's all about what people want.

This^

The way I look at it is eventually, the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger is going to hit a price wall. It can be one of the best performance cars in the world, but its still a Chevy Camaro/Ford Mustang/Dodge Challenger. There is going to be a price point where people just say no. Like Thor said, there was still 2015 Z/28s sitting on dealer lots, with the the 20% savings on them.

Now yes, this really only applies to the halo models, the ones that offer insane performance so it really doesn't apply to sales, so I guess it doesn't matter what I think lol. But is there really a market for an 80K Camaro/Mustang/Challenger?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This^

The way I look at it is eventually, the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger is going to hit a price wall. It can be one of the best performance cars in the world, but its still a Chevy Camaro/Ford Mustang/Dodge Challenger. There is going to be a price point where people just say no. Like Thor said, there was still 2015 Z/28s sitting on dealer lots, with the the 20% savings on them.

Now yes, this really only applies to the halo models, the ones that offer insane performance so it really doesn't apply to sales, so I guess it doesn't matter what I think lol. But is there really a market for an 80K Camaro/Mustang/Challenger?
There are a few 2014 Z/28s sitting on dealer lots unsold. Quick autotrader search shows about 50 2014 and 2015 Z/28s still waiting to be sold.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #28
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
How big is the market for $60K+ sport coupes and of that, how big is the subset for stripped, track focused car with little creature comforts?
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote