Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
trboxman

Drives: 2017 2SS, M6, HBM
I live in a front plate state and seem to have been extremely lucky, no front plate on any car in the last 20 years. Admittedly most wouldn't turn a head like the Camaro, however last summer I got stopped by a State Trooper standing by his motorcycle shooting oncoming traffic, I was speeding and he waved me over wrote a ticket and never said a peep about not having a front plate. That was the first time I'd been stopped and ticketed for speeding since '93...paid a traffic attorney to make it go away.
trboxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #16
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
They drill two small holes in the grille and use the supplied rivets, not screws, to install it. If you drill out the center of the rivets to remove, you are left with two small holes. In some threads previously, people have posted about some small black rubber plugs you can get to fill the holes. What I would be concerned about is that the license plate bracket also had some clips that snap it to the grille and those could possibly break or scratch some part of the grille.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #17
Nfg2ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 NFG 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
They drill two small holes in the grille and use the supplied rivets, not screws, to install it. If you drill out the center of the rivets to remove, you are left with two small holes. In some threads previously, people have posted about some small black rubber plugs you can get to fill the holes. What I would be concerned about is that the license plate bracket also had some clips that snap it to the grille and those could possibly break or scratch some part of the grille.
Didn't let dealer touch mine, so just assumed screws as that's the industry standard. Rivets are even worse. Either way, you're left with holes in shit that shouldn't EVER have holes.

No clips, but they kind of hook under certian parts of the lower grill. This is why I literally own this t-shirt....
Attached Images

Nfg2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #18
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Yeah we have the same laws in MA. I had my C7 for 18 months with no front plate and I don't even think anyone noticed. That said I stayed away from Lowell where they love to pull you over for every little last thing.

Don't have a plate on the Camaro now, either. But I do have the tow hook plate kit in the trunk.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
This is the exact one I have and I love it. I drilled a small hole in my plate so that I could access the bolt holding the frame onto the tow stud. This way I can get the entire thing on and off in a snap.
No need to drill, just use the license plate as leverage to twist it off, then same when you need to put it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Blk1LE View Post
Nothing like throwing your dealer under the bus. If your dealer told too to drive the car 100 mph and you won't get caught. Would you still do it? She follow the law, especially in our today's liberal world
There isn't a subject / topic or forum thread in the world where liberals can't be blamed for something....
Old 06-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Ok, I didn't want to start a war here or "throw anyone under the bus". Just asked a question to see if anyone who had the stock bracket had experienced issues with it. I really appreciate the "sincere" feedback from some of you here and after looking at the options, I ordered the Sto-n-Sho bracket today. Thanks Guys
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #21
DenverTaco07

I bought my car off the lot, so it had the license bracket installed...with rivets. the holes aren't really that noticeable to be honest, but I wish they weren't there.

Another excuse to spend $$$ to get the SEMA grill I suppose.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #22
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I bought my car off the lot, so it had the license bracket installed...with rivets. the holes aren't really that noticeable to be honest, but I wish they weren't there.

Another excuse to spend $$$ to get the SEMA grill I suppose.
Drill the holes out to 1/4". Go to ACE Hardware and get a set of 1/4" plastic plugs. They pop right in, stay put and one has to LOOK to see where the holes were. (It may have been 3/16")

Mine came with the damned oem bracket, which I replaced with a Sto n Sho.

Wish we didn't have to run a front plate here in Montana but I can see the thinking behind two plates for law enforcement.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #23
Lerch98

Drives: 2017 2SS black on black on black.
In Wisconsin you are supposed to have a front plate. Usually a Cop will not give you a ticket if you don't have a front plate, unless he (or she) is a real Dick. Or they want to pull you over to see if you have been drinking.
Lerch98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
CodeCody

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Never got pulled over for not having a front plate and I've had cops sitting first at an intersection while I'm out in the middle of it trying to make a left turn lol. Something about sto and show just irks me, I just didn't want any additional parts regarding showing a license plate I guess. I also haven't gotten any damage on my car when I removed mine.
CodeCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 AM   #25
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Check your state policy for specifics, but generally front tag violations are only enforced as "secondary" offenses. Meaning they will only cite you if you're breaking another law like speeding. Ohio requires front tags, and neither me or my Mom who has a 2016 Corvette Z51 have our front tag brackets. We see plenty of people on the roads around here without front tags.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
In IL it's a fix it ticket. A lot of times the front plate ticket is like you said, a secondary one but since its the law to have it they can pull you over and ticket you for it. The few towns I drive through to get to work, lets just say they are very strict and will ticket you for everything possible.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #27
DenverTaco07

I understand the reasoning of running without it, taking the risk in states that require it - my only 2 cents to add is that, in this type of car, where you are already getting lots of attention even if you aren't driving 'spiritedly' (if that's a word), you are only giving them one really easy reason to pull you over - just sayin.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #28
Jamesgn

Drives: 2017 Camaro
You have two options. Sto n Show is what we use on all our cars. Me I would move the hell out of Ill. Their is a third option, wait till the state goes broke and can't pay the cops.
Jamesgn is offline   Reply With Quote