Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Front License Plate Display in Illinois

So I picked up the car on Wednesday (6/21/177) and the dealer rep handed me the front plate and bracket. He told me not to mount it as it will damage the grille on the car. I said it is a requirement to display it in Illinois and he agreed, but insisted that I shouldn't do it anyway. He said just put the plate in the glove compartment if I get stopped - it doesn't fit there anyway, so I put it in the trunk.

Took the car out this morning to take my son's GF for a short ride and got pulled over for no front plate - yes, I got a written warning for it already after three days of ownership about a block from home (WTF!). I knew what I knew, so not a huge deal. Agree it looks better without it, but I don't need the hassle every time I take it out in my small town.

Question here is: has anyone really had any issue with damage from having it on the car? Looks to be sturdy enough and mounts to a plastic surface behind the grille anyway.

Thanks for any input that you guys can provide.

Mike
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Nfg2ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 NFG 2SS
Get a Sto N Sho. Problem solved.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/S...cense-sn89.htm
Nfg2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
There are company's that use the tow hook hole to mount plate holders.... no damage this way.... most look very good...

Here is one example....

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ch...nt=28748983169
Old 06-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
I live pretty close to you (Volo), but haven't been hassled yet on my last 3 cars I've run without a front plate.

I know they're pretty bored up there in Johnsburg, McCullom Lake, and Bull Valley though, so I'm usually pretty cautious when rolling through there.

'grats on the car! Maybe look into getting the tow hook mount like a previous poster suggested. All of the BMW guys downtown run them, as the bracket never touches the car, and you don't have to worry about making holes or it coming off like some other solutions.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlueX2 View Post
There are company's that use the tow hook hole to mount plate holders.... no damage this way.... most look very good...

Here is one example....

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ch...nt=28748983169
This is the exact one I have and I love it. I drilled a small hole in my plate so that I could access the bolt holding the frame onto the tow stud. This way I can get the entire thing on and off in a snap.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Agreed get a sto n show. No drilling required. It's a better placement than the factory bracket which ruins the front end
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Front plates suck, but that's not a valid for a dealer to tell you to intentionally break the law because you get stuck paying the fine instead of them.

I'd definitely invest in a sto-n-show.

(1) They do not permanently poke holes into your bumper, they bolt/screw in and out ans leave no trace behind.
(2) It makes it look a little cleaner how it's mounted low and as far out of the way as possible compared to the stock position.
(3) It's extremely easy to remove the plate for photo-shoots, taking pictures, or car shows. I love mine, it was the first thing I bought for my car.

When I bought mine, the cheapest place I found that sold them was Amazon, but I'd just do a google search since prices change all the time. Just note there's two different models, one designed for the regular bumper, and another designed for those that have the GM front fascia or ground effects kit (it comes with longer screws and spacers).
Attached Images

gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Mine was already mounted by the Dealer when I picked it up. Not sure what "damage" your Dealership is referring to. If I had to do it over, I would have gone with the "sto-n-show" like others have mentioned.
Attached Images

Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Tridon

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Hyper Blue Metallic V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
Not sure what "damage" your Dealership is referring to.
There are two mounting points that are drilled into the wide area at the top of the grille. Like Ontario, BC also requires a front plate. When I got my new SEMA grille installed, I told the dealership not to mount the plate bracket since I have the Sto n Sho to install.
Tridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Thanks for the options guys! I can get used to the idea that I just have to show a plate ... no big deal. Just want to know if the dealer stock bracket really can damage the grille. I don't believe that, but hoping someone here can comment on that?
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I took the front plate off first thing when I got home from the dealer...I'll just pay the ticket as it kills the lines of the car. I have custom plates & keep the other one under the foot mat to show if pulled over.

Guess I'll Just play dumb & hope for LE to be kind...stupid law.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
Nfg2ss
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 NFG 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Thanks for the options guys! I can get used to the idea that I just have to show a plate ... no big deal. Just want to know if the dealer stock bracket really can damage the grille. I don't believe that, but hoping someone here can comment on that?
Look at the dealer bracket, see the two holes? You have to put screws through those and screw it into the top of the lower grill. I consider holes in my car damage.
Nfg2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
17Blk1LE

Drives: 2017 Black Camaro SS 1lE
Nothing like throwing your dealer under the bus. If your dealer told too to drive the car 100 mph and you won't get caught. Would you still do it? She follow the law, especially in our today's liberal world
17Blk1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Biggdummy

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss vert
That guy at the dealership is what i would call a car guy!I cringe when i see that bracket installed.I have the sto n show,but the plate is kept in the trunk.
Biggdummy is offline   Reply With Quote