Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 PM   #15
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Article is not a surprise. The Tesla is fast and the article did state was the Camaro is capable of. The link to the Car and Driver review made my night.

"...the Camaro’s LT1 doesn’t just start, it explodes to life. Its initial eight-cylinder outburst is more patriotic than Lee Greenwood belting out “God Bless the USA” from the crown of the Statue of Liberty."

"Buying a Camaro and then griping about back-seat space is like going to a NASCAR race and bitching about the wine."

“If you have to use reverse, it’s best to just accept that you’ll probably back into something.”
Old 11-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #16
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
That's about right for an M6 with a really bad driver. The A8 would have spanked the electric even with a bad driver and that's the only way they could have tested it without bias.
I have to agree with this. The driver is the weakest point in the manuals, and the consistency of the A8 would not have had the desired outcome. The Tesla was supposed to win, so they made that happen.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im certain the outcome could have been different with the auto trans and a good driver,but tesla needs to showcase how quick it is in order to try to win over drivers that have been less than enthusiastic about alternative powerplants.i.e. the give me the V-8 or give me death crowd.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 AM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
For what its worth, even if the Camaro SS did everything perfectly, while it would have won, it would still have been a fairly close race. We just have to accept that EV's have a major mechanical advantage over us during the launch... ...BUT... it isn't always about the 1/4 mile either...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #19
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For what its worth, even if the Camaro SS did everything perfectly, while it would have won, it would still have been a fairly close race. We just have to accept that EV's have a major mechanical advantage over us during the launch... ...BUT... it isn't always about the 1/4 mile either...
Yep. Challenge the Tesla to a cross-country race.

I've driven a friend's Chevy Bolt. He loves it and it was fun to drive - for what it is: an expensive commuter car.

The Teslas have make me curious, so I spoke to a couple of Tesla S owners. The first lady told me, "It's nice. It better be nice for $100,000." The other guy told me it was good too, but he complained about the range. He said bringing a Tesla on a road trip requires stopping to recharge every 250-300 miles.

I think electric will work for some folks. It's not a bad idea. It's just not for me. Yet.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #20
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Breaking news, electric AWD vehicle is much easier to launch then heavy V8 RWD car
But always remember that Model 3 owners really spend $50k for sitting in maybe the ugliest interior out there
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
That is horrible, the interior I mean. I am too old to want to change to electric even if it is AWD. See you in the twisty's!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
I'm sure it's fun to run a fast EV, at least the first couple times, but there is literally no skill involved. Even around turns, you can floor it and let the car figure it out. No thanks.
Interesting comments about racing the 3 from Randy Pobst in this article. Not so much point and shoot, and it gives a peek through the door to the brave new world of race tuning electrics.

Quote:
Randy Pobst noted that the release version of the feature makes the vehicle hook far better on the road.

“That prototype version of Track mode a few weeks ago was inconsistent. I had this distinct impression of approaching a corner flat-out and thinking, ‘I wonder what’s going to happen?’ But this one (with the updated software) is far, far better. One thing we did was reduce the regenerative braking at lower speed. There’s naturally less of it at higher speeds because the battery can’t absorb that rate of power. But the last time we were out here, the car kept slowing down a lot when I’d lift off the accelerator; they showed me the data, and it’s about 0.3 g of deceleration. The trouble is that I’m a trail-braker, and it’s adding that strong brake force while I’m turning. Now it’s less, more like a normal car’s engine braking. This is a huge step forward.

“At first there was too much front regen, which made it pushy on the entry phase, so they shifted it to the back. There’s a tremendous amount of torque here (450 hp and 471 lb-ft of torque), so the car can be slid around a little bit—but actually not that much because the front motor comes back in and balances everything out. At the apex, it has a little bit of initial power oversteer from the rear motor, then it fixes itself and wants to power understeer. We made some progress on refining all that. I tried the car on the Pilot Sport Cup 2s and Brembo pads, and it was really hooked up.”
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #23
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Breaking news, electric AWD vehicle is much easier to launch then heavy V8 RWD car
But always remember that Model 3 owners really spend $50k for sitting in maybe the ugliest interior out there
Yes...thanks for saying this!

I've been saying it since Tesla first teased a picture of the model 3 dash and I thought it was a joke.

Ugliest dash available today...bar none.

"Oh its just minimalistic,...not ugly".

No...its just ugly.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #24
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
Reminds me of an episode of Grand Tour(the guys who did Top Gear UK), where they raced an electric car to a gas car across the country. 200mi later the EV was charging and the gas car had already made it to it's destination.

EVs are great daily drivers. The commute to and from work with the ability to charge at home overnight is great. Better than having to stop for gas. I want a Model 3.

Electric cars are fast. Once or twice. Keep it as a street car, not a race car.
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
But it is not without competition....this is the OPTIONAL BMW i3 interior. Meaning you have to pay extra to get away from the even uglier base interior. The grey stuff is recycled material that looks and feels like particle board.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
That is horrible, the interior I mean. I am too old to want to change to electric even if it is AWD. See you in the twisty's!
lolwut?

So you'd prefer a bunch of knobs and buttons that don't do anything? Maybe some handles and toggle switches?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #27
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Any thought of buying a Tesla quickly evaporated when I saw this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4CFiuR3tQ
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #28
max pl

Drives: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
But it is not without competition....this is the OPTIONAL BMW i3 interior. Meaning you have to pay extra to get away from the even uglier base interior. The grey stuff is recycled material that looks and feels like particle board.
Thats a very nice interior and the materials are great. It is 10x better than any Tesla.
max pl is offline   Reply With Quote