Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #771
DancesWithBikers

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
laser cut key
Why does everyone keep calling it laser cut? It's cut with an end mill. Look closely and you can see the milling marks in the keyway.
DancesWithBikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #772
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
Doing this to every Camaro would put GM out of business...again!

highly unlikely, the expense to do so would be meniscal, and most of which GM would pass on to the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithBikers View Post
Keyed trunk release? What's this of which you speak?

As far as I know, my 2012 only has the glow-in-the-dark grab handle on the trunk lid. I suppose you could call that "hidden behind the rear seat".

Convertibles have a keyed trunk release behind the drivers side rear seat bolster, to allow access to the trunk in the event the battery dies, because our rear seats do not fold down..
Old 06-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #773
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
Count me in with the keep-the-flip-fob crew.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #774
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Why does everyone keep calling it laser cut? It's cut with an end mill. Look closely and you can see the milling marks in the keyway.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/the-...your-keys.html
Old 06-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #775
DancesWithBikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
If your size is an issue there actually is a DIY mod that allows your drivers' seat to go further back.
Tell me more!

Though right now there's only an inch or two between the seats, so it can't go back much further.

Are there any mods to lower the seat an inch or so?

I've generally got it all the way down, and all, or almost all, the way back.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #776
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
They are cut with frickin lay-zers
Old 06-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #777
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Tell me more!

Though right now there's only an inch or two between the seats, so it can't go back much further.

Are there any mods to lower the seat an inch or so?

I've generally got it all the way down, and all, or almost all, the way back.

It doesn't benefit me so I never paid much attention or bookmarked it... I have to look that up...stay tuned
Old 06-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #778
DancesWithBikers

It is physically impossible for me to hit the key with my knee. If I lift my knee it will hit the steering wheel, but I can't get any closer to the key than in the picture.

Maybe if I slouched down in the seat a foot or two, but I couldn't drive like that.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #779
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Quote:
Wow you are mad and slightly irrational over this.

It's also the law that they can't use parts ID'd as a safety recall.

They will hand you the new key and you will go berserk.

And they will say "I'm sorry sir, but your key failed and we had to make a new one."

And you'll hire a lawyer and file suit to make them pay! And you'll lose your suit.

-Or even better-

They'll call you on the phone and tell you it broke. And you'll go berserk. And you'll tell them "Don't you dare make me that new key!!! I mean business!!!"

And then they'll say "Sir your car won't start without a key. Get a flatbed over here and try to find somebody who will make you the old one". And you'll take the car on the flatbed. And you'll try to get an old key.

And then you'll bring the car back to GM. On the flatbed. And then this time you'll pay for a new key instead of getting it for free, because dadgumit, you didn't authorize them to give you that free key.

-Or even betterest-

You'll sell your car. Or try to. And in a private sale you'll hear "But isn't that the key that could kill me and all my kittens and cripples and nuns and children and elderly parents and innocent people too? I'll give you 5 grand"
My, this IS entertaining....

Again, they will NEVER see my car at a GM dealership while I own it. I will keep my keys.

SO..... what this means to me is two things....

1. I have ZERO potential liability, because Im not ignorant enough to do what is physically impossible for everyone except a handfull of people who drive with their knees up around their ears, and,

2) I get to tune my car now, because I'll never use my warranty, or ever take my car to a dealer, if (as you claim) GM will force me to comply with this knee-jerk reaction recall.

In my opinion, this is a completely wasted smoke-screen effort on GM's part to claim that "See, NOW we have a new culture of being Proactive", when this recall has ZERO real world impact on safety, and accomplishes nothing except as a failed attempt at better image for GM, and serve as a risk-management decision to limit possible GM liability.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #780

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If the new key is different from the one we have now.....What about the door lock?...I doubt they would change the door lock also just so we couldn't use our old key and fob in the ignition.....

I'm thinking we'll get new, separate keys, but the old key/fob will still work....If they confiscate the old one, so be it....but they won't get the spare one that stays at home....just sayin'.....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #781
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Seriously...this is what they come up with? I hate separate key fobs. That is the one thing I have enjoyed about my Camaro. Plus what about all the other vehicles that have the same type of fob? My GMC Terrain had the same type. My Volt does too all though it's push button start. I'll keep my current fob thank you.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #782
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGirl661 View Post
So they are going to change the key? I like my key... :(
^This. I like the little switch blade key and how you can close it and put it in your pocket and not have the key digging into you, lol. I hate separate key and fob after having this key. I'll do a recall if they switch to push to start but I'm not going with the separate key and fob, lol. I have my seat low and back and I'll never hit it with my knee in a million or so years...
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #783
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreakHouTX View Post
My, this IS entertaining....

Again, they will NEVER see my car at a GM dealership while I own it. I will keep my keys.

SO..... what this means to me is two things....

1. I have ZERO potential liability, because Im not ignorant enough to do what is physically impossible for everyone except a handfull of people who drive with their knees up around their ears, and,

2) I get to tune my car now, because I'll never use my warranty, or ever take my car to a dealer, if (as you claim) GM will force me to comply with this knee-jerk reaction recall.

In my opinion, this is a completely wasted smoke-screen effort on GM's part to claim that "See, NOW we have a new culture of being Proactive", when this recall has ZERO real world impact on safety, and accomplishes nothing except as a failed attempt at better image for GM, and serve as a risk-management decision to limit possible GM liability.
Zoweee! Cool rant. I'm glad you think it's entertaining. Too many members are getting all hot and bothered over a key.

What I find entertaining is that you act as if I had directed that comment to you (quote: "Again, they will NEVER see my car". Great! Good for you! Who the F told you you can't do what you want exactly?) and then you go off on a tangent about what you're gonna do to address this. Wasn't talking to you bro.

AND you act as if I'll stand proxy for GM regarding what you don;t like. Chill. Your pants are in a bunch over something I directed specifically to a member named "nashstat". I quoted him. Go look at my post again. Here's what I was commenting on, not what you said:

Originally Posted by nashstat
A dealer cannot perform any service to your car without your consent. That is the law!

Maybe you have two usernames here? Keep grinnin pardner
Old 06-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #784
DancesWithBikers

Quote:
They are cut with frickin lay-zers
You say laser, I say CNC milling machine.
http://youtu.be/MXPvU7t_qGI

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Every "laser" key cutter I've been able to find uses an end mill.

Again, look at your key with some decent magnification, the milling marks are obvious.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall