Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
WhitePhantomSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Gen5 Color changing halos & Nightowl halos???

Can someone please explain to me the difference in the two kits? Besides the price.
WhitePhantomSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
im curious about this too...i'm about ready to buy a color changing halo kit
Old 12-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
MedicalCowboy
Save lives? Hahahahaha

Drives: An ambulance, a 2ss/rs, x-wing
Yeah I'm interested as well. Let's throw the JDP kit in this discussion as well. I do know with the night owl kit you can control it with your iPhone via an app. Other than that I'm not sure....
MedicalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
BiG_TiMe

yea i think you need the JDP kit in order to use the Night Owl controller...otherwise Night Owl has their own kit on their website.

I did a little research and as of now I've concluded that the JDP one is better than the Oracle one...but that's my opinion
Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
Nightowl you will be able to expand your system when you have one of there products so you can a system that all works under the same thing which is really awesome to have! Kinda like how I light up all my 6 hood vents in my car and they work with my RGB halos.

JDP was the first system I had and it was great but it lacked in color opinions. (Did not have a color wheel) Another thing which really annoyed me was that the signal to the little remote they give you is really weak and sometimes it is hard to change the colors.

Gen5 color changing halo I think is the closest to bring like nightowl but the only thing I believe that it doesn't do is that you cannot have all your systems being controlled under one remote. And I don't think Gen5 has an app you can use with his system but I could be wrong there.

IMO nightowl is far beyond what I could hope for in the beginning for a Great lighting system. They can update their app also so they can give even more lighting effects in the future! And if they is anything wrong they just update there app to fix glitches no need to send back to the dealer if there is anything wrong with the remote!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
954camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
yea i think you need the JDP kit in order to use the Night Owl controller...otherwise Night Owl has their own kit on their website.
I don't get what you mean by this^^^^
Nightowl has a JDP upgrade kit so you don't have to fully buy another kit again this upgrades your JDP controller to Nightowl controller! You can just buy there kit which allows you to use nightowl controller with their system also. It is just based on what you have already or what you don't have already. So for you guys you would just buy their RGB color changing Halo kit. You do not need the JDp upgrade version
Old 12-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
BiG_TiMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
I don't get what you mean by this^^^^
Nightowl has a JDP upgrade kit so you don't have to fully buy another kit again this upgrades your JDP controller to Nightowl controller! You can just buy there kit which allows you to use nightowl controller with their system also. It is just based on what you have already or what you don't have already. So for you guys you would just buy their RGB color changing Halo kit. You do not need the JDp upgrade version
yea i know, but i meant that Night Owl has their halo kit as well: (the first option)
https://store.nightowlleds.com/index...tegory&path=60

...unless i'm reading something wrong lol
Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
WhitePhantomSS

ok so if i buy the gen5 kit first and want to upgrade to the nightowl everything will still be a go? ive been following nightowl posts and they been working on the android app for months. im a really big android person and dont want anything to do with apple
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Another difference in Night Owl and the other kits is the versatility of the Night Owl system. Lets say you want you left halo on red and your right halo on blue....with Night Owl you can do that. It is a modular based system where there are several "RGB channels" in each module. So basically you hook up one halo to one RGB channel and the other halo to another channel. Then you can control them independently. Say you have strips in your engine bay, well you can connect them to a third channel and have them a totally different color or pattern. I've been installing halos and lights in Camaros since 2010 and by far this is the absolute best and most versatile system to date. No I do not own one yet and I stress YET! LOL. I have changed my color changing halos three times over the years due to changes and improvements etc and once I set aside the money, they will be getting this upgrade for sure.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePhantomSS View Post
ok so if i buy the gen5 kit first and want to upgrade to the nightowl everything will still be a go? ive been following nightowl posts and they been working on the android app for months. im a really big android person and dont want anything to do with apple
You can buy the kit from Gen5DIY now, and then if say down the road you want to add to your system you just buy the controller from NightOwl.

Something people don't realize/know is that all of the controllers are interchangeable. So say you like Gen5DIY's kit, but want NightOwl's ability to use your phone. Buy the Gen5DIY kit and the NightOwl controller. Best of both worlds.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Gen5diy is working on an RGBW halo set up. It will behave like a standard RGB halo ring setup, plus it will include a switch to switch between pure white and RGB. You then can hook the RGB wires to the night owl controller or any other RGB controller you desire. I'm waiting for RGBW gen5diy kit.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
WhitePhantomSS

ok but would it be smarter 2 just go ahead and get the nightowl ?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Can the RGB LEDs in the halo kit from Night Owl not create white light?
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
954camaro

Nightowl can create a white light but you have to fine tune it on the color wheel