Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2020, 12:32 AM   #43
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
My car definitely feels faster with the rotofab, I’m tuning soon we will see how it runs
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #44
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Just put the rf on my 2017 last week. I did not expect a lot of improvement as the oem aint too bad. No tuning required.
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #45
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Was it worth the money spent and the effort to install it on your ZL1?
Old 05-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #46
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
Just put the rf on my 2017 last week. I did not expect a lot of improvement as the oem aint too bad. No tuning required.
There's a big difference between saying no tuning is needed vs. data logs and proving it with evidence.

Not knocking the product, as I intend to buy it, but I want to verify there's no long-term implications from an air/fuel ratio standpoint
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #47
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
From other threads I've seen, it will run richer up top because the computer is trying to adjust for increased airflow and slightly higher boost. There is no substitute for a dyno tune or good street tune, the factory ECU can only make relatively coarse adjustments based on mass air flow and boost
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #48
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
There's a big difference between saying no tuning is needed vs. data logs and proving it with evidence.

Not knocking the product, as I intend to buy it, but I want to verify there's no long-term implications from an air/fuel ratio standpoint
What long term implications are even possible? None. The roto fab will increase air flow and directional velocity somewhat, the computer will adjust. That’s it. A tune is not necessary to take advantage of the increased airflow. A roto fab big gulp allows a much greater volume of air than the computer can adjust to, and although in untuned state it will not harm the engine, a tune will maximize the increased flow. But if your engine really doesn’t need the increase (pullley, cam, heads...) a basic roto fab is fine....as is your stock air box absent the looks and very slight increase in blower whine.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #49
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
A tune is not necessary to take advantage of the increased airflow.
If you want the best result it is - again, afrs will not be spot on, if anything the factory ECU will go rich to be conservative
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #50
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
If you want the best result it is - again, afrs will not be spot on, if anything the factory ECU will go rich to be conservative
Not true. I have seen the before and after.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #51
Flowtie1

Quote:
What long term implications are even possible? None. The roto fab will increase air flow and directional velocity somewhat, the computer will adjust. That’s it. A tune is not necessary to take advantage of the increased airflow. A roto fab big gulp allows a much greater volume of air than the computer can adjust to, and although in untuned state it will not harm the engine, a tune will maximize the increased flow. But if your engine really doesn’t need the increase (pullley, cam, heads...) a basic roto fab is fine....as is your stock air box absent the looks and very slight increase in blower whine.
Well said
Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #52
ZX-10R

Quote:
Not true. I have seen the before and after.
So have I, and it is true most of the time, perhaps not every time. Are you saying there is zero benefit to tuning?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518895
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549562
Old 05-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #53
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
So have I, and it is true most of the time, perhaps not every time. Are you saying there is zero benefit to tuning?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518895
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549562
No, I said there is no need to tune with a standard rotofab. Not worth the cost or the drivetrain warranty loss.

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
Old 05-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #54
ssyellow1

Drives: Mustang
Appreciate the insight above GTO and all. Question indeed wasn't if a tune will get additional benefits with a Rotofab, but more so if it was needed from a safety standpoint.

Reason I ask is because on prior platforms in my life the MAF sensors are sometimes very sensitive, looks like the ZL1 system is relatively robust and accommodating.

Long term implications I was referencing would have been short term/long term fuel trims being out of wack and causing internal damage.
ssyellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #55
Flowtie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Was it worth the money spent and the effort to install it on your ZL1?
Absolutely. I like the look also.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #56
Flowtie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post

I certainly respect that. I just have put many on OBDII cars so I am very familiar with it. Anymore mods above that is headers I would tune. Hell no downside to tuning