Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Shipsterns

Drives: Blue 2018 2SS 6mt,1996 turbo Miata
Unhappy 2018 2SS having some issues. Advice needed

Hi guys this is my first post here. I own a 2018 Camaro 2SS that I bought brand new from Chevrolet of Cerritos in September 2018. Almost 2 years later and now the car has about 8,000 miles on it, and I take very good care of the cars paint. Since buying it the car has been plagued with a number of small issues, and has been into the dealership now 4 times for the same issue. My parents are convinced that the car is a lemon, and want me to try and get rid of it. I’m not really sure what to do at this point, as Im just tired of spending this much for a brand new car just to deal with issues all the time. Would appreciate any advice on what I should do from this point or if I’m just being too picky

ISSUES:
1. About a month in i noticed some discoloration on the front gloss black grill which ended up having to be replaced as all the black coloring was flaking off.
2. The center console lid was replaced as it clicks and pops sometimes when you rest your elbow on it. After it was supposedly replaced it will still sometimes make the noise if you rest your arm on it.
3. (Car has been in 4 times for this issue) The favorite buttons/ the skip forward or backward track buttons randomly stop working. All the other buttons on the wheel and the touch screen still work but the fav buttons will randomly not work. I use these buttons all the time for my music with apple CarPlay so it’s really annoying when they don’t work. Sometimes turning the car off and on again will fix it and other times it will not. Car was in to the dealership 3 times i think before my local dealership actually decided to replace the buttons on the steering wheel, and up until yesterday it had fixed the issue but yesterday it came back and I was able to bring it into the dealership and also record a video of the issue.
4. Vibrations in the cabin from the passenger sun visor and door cards. While driving on the highway if the road is not super smooth you will hear noises from the passenger sun visor unless it is flipped down. You will also hear vibrations from the door cards if the volume is set to anywhere near 50% and the song has some bass.
5. Clear coat seems to be failing in a small spot on the B pillar on the passenger side. Not really sure what is going on in this specific spot. With some quick research I found out that some of the 2018s apparently has some issue with paint but I’m not completely sure what to do.
Shipsterns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
These really sound like minor issues tbh
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
You're being to critical about minor nuisances.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipsterns View Post
Hi guys this is my first post here. I own a 2018 Camaro 2SS that I bought brand new from Chevrolet of Cerritos in September 2018. Almost 2 years later and now the car has about 8,000 miles on it, and I take very good care of the cars paint. Since buying it the car has been plagued with a number of small issues, and has been into the dealership now 4 times for the same issue. My parents are convinced that the car is a lemon, and want me to try and get rid of it. I’m not really sure what to do at this point, as Im just tired of spending this much for a brand new car just to deal with issues all the time. Would appreciate any advice on what I should do from this point or if I’m just being too picky

ISSUES:
1. About a month in i noticed some discoloration on the front gloss black grill which ended up having to be replaced as all the black coloring was flaking off.
2. The center console lid was replaced as it clicks and pops sometimes when you rest your elbow on it. After it was supposedly replaced it will still sometimes make the noise if you rest your arm on it.
3. (Car has been in 4 times for this issue) The favorite buttons/ the skip forward or backward track buttons randomly stop working. All the other buttons on the wheel and the touch screen still work but the fav buttons will randomly not work. I use these buttons all the time for my music with apple CarPlay so it’s really annoying when they don’t work. Sometimes turning the car off and on again will fix it and other times it will not. Car was in to the dealership 3 times i think before my local dealership actually decided to replace the buttons on the steering wheel, and up until yesterday it had fixed the issue but yesterday it came back and I was able to bring it into the dealership and also record a video of the issue.
4. Vibrations in the cabin from the passenger sun visor and door cards. While driving on the highway if the road is not super smooth you will hear noises from the passenger sun visor unless it is flipped down. You will also hear vibrations from the door cards if the volume is set to anywhere near 50% and the song has some bass.
5. Clear coat seems to be failing in a small spot on the B pillar on the passenger side. Not really sure what is going on in this specific spot. With some quick research I found out that some of the 2018s apparently has some issue with paint but I’m not completely sure what to do.
First of all, to the forums

1. This is resolved unless I'm misreading what you wrote

2. It probably isn't the lid but the hinges themselves, you can ask for a replacement center console section if it's really irksome

3. Could be a software issue as well, especially if the button banks have been replaced already, nevertheless the dealer will handle it

4. My 2018 doesn't rattle, you can ask the dealer to apply some 3M tape to the locations the noise is coming from inside the door card, or you can do it yourself (which I will do when rattles begin over time)

5. Hard to tell the extent without pictures, again, the dealer should have a body shop that can solve these issues

These issues are nowhere near making a car a lemon, and honestly I'm not sure what you mean by "spending this much on a brand new car", as you are still under bumper to bumper and the dealership should still take care of every substantial issue for free. Yes, these are annoyances, and yes, GM would be a much better manufacturer if these were unheard of, but the reality is every sports/muscle car in this price range will have some issues.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi:
(Issue 2) the plastic support structure of your lid may have a crack in it causing the pop, click noise you describe when putting your elbow on it.
(Issue 4) Try getting all of your tires road force balanced. This sounds like a tire issue causing your problem.
Sounds like you solved issue 1
3 I can't help you with. No idea on it
5 I would go visit a body shop and get a professional opinion and report back to your dealer on the fix and price to fix it.
I know things like what you are describing are annoying. Hope you can get them fixed.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #6
Shipsterns

Drives: Blue 2018 2SS 6mt,1996 turbo Miata
Hi guys thanks for the advice. Car is going in for an oil change on Tuesday and I’ll talk to my service advisor ( who has been nice so far) and see what he thinks of the paint issue.
Shipsterns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
ElwoodBlues

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
For #3 - the track forward/reverse buttons on the wheel use Bluetooth even when the phone is connected with a cable. I found this out after disabling Bluetooth one day and couldn't figure out why the buttons on the wheel stopped working (track buttons under the screen won't work either). So it may have something to due with the Bluetooth connection on your phone. Remove and re-add your phone to the car and see if that helps.
ElwoodBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
These are not "lemon" issues.

I have yet to own a modern car without "infotainment" (don't we all hate that "word") issues. They are NEVER button issues, but are always device compatibility issues.

As for your dealer replacing buttons on the steering wheel, I call BS on that. You can only replace the whole steering wheel. The dealer was snowing you, although in this case, it's because they are as helpless as owners in resolving all the device compatibility problems.

Good luck.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, camaro ss, issues, lemon, problems