Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #29
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I typically find my job alot easier when people don't know that I drive a nice car... and especially when they don't know I own TWO Camaro's ...jealousy and rage ensues my career when people find me in the parking lot with an SS...or a secondary car as a Z28

I moved to Texas not long ago for a new job. I've been hiding my Camaro by parking it WAY out and leaving after everyone else leaves. I thought they onboarded us at the same salary but later came to find I was actually onboarded as one of the higher paid employees and mostly everyone else makes less than me and...well...I get alot of "silent" flack about it... ...and they also eventually found out about my SS ... ... so whenever I have questions or need assistance I pretty much am SOL.

Anyone else in this boat?
Don't give in. The day you succumb to fear is the day life starts being slowly taken from you, inch by inch (and I'm learning this the hard way).

Besides, who's anyone to criticize or despise you simply for having something good. No need to be dick of course---after all, you seem to be a little more fortunate than your coworkers, plus as others already stated, our cars aren't exactly Bugattis pricewise---but stay bold and be proud of your car. If you get flak, it's on them, they need to deal with their problem. I know some of my peers make much more than I do, but I signed the contract and accepted the job, so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned, I try to work hard and earn my way up.

Just my 2 cents'.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #30
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
The average price for new car sales is over $32k now. The Camaro SS can be had for just above that with some negotiating.

Also, no one is going to think you're rich driving around a 99 Camaro, and hardly anyone is going to know what a Z28 is or how to differentiate it from a V6 at this point. What's the average 99 Camaro going for these days? $3,000?
Yeah but alot of people don't look at it that way. They don't care how much the car costs or even specifically what model or how many cylenders it has...they say and see two sports cars and they're at home with the wife and kids barely making ends meet. Only us who are car enthusiasts really know the values of these cars (or care about them)
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #31
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Someone told me that in DFW if you're making less than 1,000 HP, don't bother challenging anyone. Any truth to that?
There’s definitely certain circles that take that kind of thing pretty seriously and have the coin to follow through, but there’s also no shortage of wannabes. It’s just about daily I get taunted by someone in a Honda with a coffee can muffler who is barely old enough to have hair on it.

Personally I think no matter how fast it gets to 60, if nothing exciting happens when you pull back on the steering wheel, I’m not that impressed. My need for speed involves other types of vehicles.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #32
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Nope, dont care. It's not like it's a 911 or even a BMW. It's a fairly cheap Chevy. I'll bet a majority of the SUVs and pickups in your parking lot cost more. My truck did, my wife's 4Runner did, and so did our friends' new $47k Highlander.

Having a fun, second car does make people wonder, but who cares? Everyone's situation is different. They have no idea what my wife does for work or even if she works. Some people choose to have a ton of kids, some choose to have single income families, some choose to spend more while others spend on cars, boats, vacations, etc.

So, regardless of coworker pay, there are many other factors behind the scenes. Heck, one of my peers makes the same salary but drives a Hellcat, a RAM 2500 to pull his speed boat which is parked at their beach house, and has a BMW M3 as a family car in addition to his wife's Range Rover. His wife is a heart surgeon and they have no kids. Tada! Lol
Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #33
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Austin may be in Texas, but it ain't Texas. Them people are nuts!
I live just outside Austin and this is true lol. Craziest drivers are in this area as well.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #34
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
"Less expensive than a nice pickup truck" should shut them up.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #35
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I don't get the same type of flack per se. I do have 4 vehicles, and have driven all 4 to work. I usually get the joking "we can see who makes all the money here" quip now and then.

honestly, it's none of their business how much money you make.

I work and my wife works. She makes almost as much money as me. Even if everyone here knew what I made, my household income is almost double that.

If you run into people that won't help, tell them you'll find someone that will. you aren't there to make friends, you are there to make a living. If they explicitly decide to not do their job because they are jealous of a have/have not situation, go to hr. It'll be their job on the line, not yours.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #36
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I don’t daily drive the Camaro but will bring it to work once a week during the summer months. I think mostly everyone knows I have it, I’m not one to brag about anything so when it’s come up in conversation it’s because someone brought it up. I do park far away but that’s because of door dings. One of my associates husband has a gen 5 v6 drop top that she drives sometimes so I’m not the only one! Just don’t be pompous about it and act like it’s just another car. I don’t think people will make a big stink it’s not like your driving a Lamborghini.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #37
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
"Don't give in. The day you succumb to fear is the day life starts being slowly taken from you, inch by inch "
+1 on that.
35 years ago, was making ~$40k and getting paid for what I knew or could figure out.
Moved to the northeast, and a whole different stinky attitude with the employment scene.
Encountered dinks all the time who would sell out their mother, or screw someone over.
Kept quiet, paid my dues (and loans) bought POS vehicles. Never gave in.
Now that I'm making about $2k/day on investments as a private investor, I can afford a nice "not so special Chevy!"
Even though not a HUGE concern, I won't park it in the local Wallyworld parking lot. Usually, I have a scruffy 2 week old beard, and walk around with a toothpick, and wear a camo-hat.
Same advice to OP, don't give in---but don't flaunt it when you're fortunate. Go thru life with grace, not malice. (but enjoy the ride!)
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #38
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I remember when I drove my BMW, which cost about the same as my 1LE, and the people at the office would remark about how I'm driving such an expensive car, blah blah. Same people that dump 65-70K on a F150 pickup truck and drive it daily. Pickup trucks are the new luxury vehicle for lots of people. The automakers are laughing all the way to the bank.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #39
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Do you hide your SS at work?

Hell Fruckkkk NO! Jealous ones envy... I park my car in the hood most of the week and could give to shits if the cars/people there hated on me. Been going on 3yrs with my gen 6. No one doing or saying squat!!!
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #40
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
No, but I ( and others like me ) have caught some mild static from some co-workers who are somewhat envious of anybody with more disposable income then themselves. You see, where I work, we all make more or less the same income, and one's disposable income is determined by one's lifestyle situations.

In pretty much every case, the person saying ( when seeing someone with a nice car ) "Ohhh, it must be niiiiccce to have money" with a smarmy tone actually makes more money than I do because they work so much OT, but they have all their income tied up in housing a wife and herd of kids in a McMansion that they'll probably be upside-down on for the better part of next 50 years because of the huge mortgage and all the other toys they "have to" have like bass boats, jet-skis and the like. In turn, the ones like that I know view cars as nothing more than appliances, and they mock those who take pride in their vehicles.

Just my 2-cents, as they say.

( edit for spelling )
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #41
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre1969 View Post
Austin may be in Texas, but it ain't Texas. Them people are nuts!
Well stated.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
People must think camaros and other sports cars cost a lot of money even though they don't except the zl1 so maybe that's why they get jealous or maybe it's because you have good taste and they don't.
Last time I washed my car I had 3 people tell me how nice it was except one lady walking her dog told me I was gonna make it rain.
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote