Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion


JUICEDMOTORSPORTS


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #57
laynlo15

 
laynlo15's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1ss A8, Npp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: clark, mo
Posts: 5,008
They will bolt right on and that would be a good solution. I plan to change my stock wheels to some aftermarket stuff and use my 9.5 rears for my drag radials. I ran mine last weekend on street tires and was really happy with the outcome. I ran 12.04 and 12.05 both at 115 and 1.79 and 1.81 60ft. I think there is at least another 1/10 in drag radials on a stick track, but more on a not so good track. I did have one back pass and ran 12.49@115 w/2.11 60ft. Just lit the tires a the hit. Drag radials would have taken care of that issue.
__________________
2016 1SS, Magnuson 2650 Heartbreaker. NW103, Kent's Hot Rod Garage(Hoosier/MT/Race Star),RPM RB
Big Gulp by Roto-Fab, Livernois, Manley, Lt4 Fueling, VP Race Fuel, Speed Engineering, Tuned by toohighpsi.
9.41@146 (best MPH 147) w/1.35 60ft 6.05@117 1/8 (best 1/8 MPH 118) Employee/Driver
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #58
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet Red 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
They will bolt right on and that would be a good solution. I plan to change my stock wheels to some aftermarket stuff and use my 9.5 rears for my drag radials. I ran mine last weekend on street tires and was really happy with the outcome. I ran 12.04 and 12.05 both at 115 and 1.79 and 1.81 60ft. I think there is at least another 1/10 in drag radials on a stick track, but more on a not so good track. I did have one back pass and ran 12.49@115 w/2.11 60ft. Just lit the tires a the hit. Drag radials would have taken care of that issue.
Awesome runs for stock tires, or any tires you might use for that matter. I'm going again this evening to see if I can run a little better time with mine. I have a CAI so it's not bone stock. I would dearly love to break into the 11s...we'll see.
__________________
The new ride: 2018 Camaro Garnet Red 2SS

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #59
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet Red 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,935
Ok, I have definitively answered the question on whether drag radials are necessary or not. The answer is:

1. Yes, when the track is cold due to weather.

2. No, if the ambient outside temperature is great and the track is well heated and the track is prepped.

I cut a 1.777 (God must have had something to do with this) 60 foot time yesterday on my Goodyear run-flats and it didn't spin an inch. That was early in the track day and only an hour and a half later, the traction went away for the most part. I am going to pursue drag radials and a second set of wheels, starting now.

See my post here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451440
__________________
The new ride: 2018 Camaro Garnet Red 2SS

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #60
Snowblind

 
Snowblind's Avatar
 
Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philthy
Posts: 915
My first trip to the track back in April and I went with my DR's on, I got 1 pass in and went 11.94. (1.80 60') DA was favorable but I forget what it was.

My second trip in April also with DR's and seats removed (90 lbs.) and went 11.80-11.81-11.81-11.84.(1.75 60' avg) DA was around -90.

My third trip last night and I wanted to see what the Goodyears would do, 12.24-12.25-12.28 and after it rained for 5 minutes I ran a 12.4. (1.88 60' avg) DA was 1500 though but track prep was good.

Any day racing is a great day ...but with that being said, knowing my Mickey's sit at home with my dog just itching to come out and play, and then running much slower than I had anticipated knowing some others have cut good 60's with their stockers made for a lackluster evening. I had a fun but frustrating time trying to "hook n book".

Sorry Duke, you are babysitting the run-on-flats from here on out buddy.
__________________
CAI, PIM, PTB, LTH, M6 diff, e85, WR. 10.44@128 1/4
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #61
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet Red 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
My first trip to the track back in April and I went with my DR's on, I got 1 pass in and went 11.94. (1.80 60') DA was favorable but I forget what it was.

My second trip in April also with DR's and seats removed (90 lbs.) and went 11.80-11.81-11.81-11.84.(1.75 60' avg) DA was around -90.

My third trip last night and I wanted to see what the Goodyears would do, 12.24-12.25-12.28 and after it rained for 5 minutes I ran a 12.4. (1.88 60' avg) DA was 1500 though but track prep was good.

Any day racing is a great day ...but with that being said, knowing my Mickey's sit at home with my dog just itching to come out and play, and then running much slower than I had anticipated knowing some others have cut good 60's with their stockers made for a lackluster evening. I had a fun but frustrating time trying to "hook n book".

Sorry Duke, you are babysitting the run-on-flats from here on out buddy.
I'm suitably impressed. Did you list your mods other than the tires?
__________________
The new ride: 2018 Camaro Garnet Red 2SS

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #62
hotlap


 
hotlap's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Hot Wheels 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 5,382
I would say at my track, drag radials are necessary. My first pass was my best with just a little tire spin. Traction got worst as the day went on. I had two passes where I easyed into the throttle to get off the line bit my 60' dropped to 2.0-2.1 with 12.5-12.6. Two others I tried to ease it out and nailed only to have the rear kicked out right once and another where the tires spun hard.

All stock, stock tires. First time the car was pushed beyond the break-in limits.

Was lots of fun.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Production Number 1755
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #63
Tim Adams
 
Tim Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minooka, IL
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I would say at my track, drag radials are necessary. My first pass was my best with just a little tire spin. Traction got worst as the day went on. I had two passes where I easyed into the throttle to get off the line bit my 60' dropped to 2.0-2.1 with 12.5-12.6. Two others I tried to ease it out and nailed only to have the rear kicked out right once and another where the tires spun hard.

All stock, stock tires. First time the car was pushed beyond the break-in limits.

Was lots of fun.
Bring your car to Byron. Track prep at Great Lakes sucks.
__________________
Ordered-Hyper Blue 1SS, A8, NPP, 56W wheels Built 1/20/16
Delivered 2/12/16!!


"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #64
hotlap


 
hotlap's Avatar
 
Drives: 18 Hot Wheels 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 5,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
Bring your car to Byron. Track prep at Great Lakes sucks.
I was a little surprised that I was breaking loose at speed after reading that dropping the tire pressure, turning off TC and nail it was the ticket. I was rushing my break-in mileage to take advantage of nice weather yesterday so I'm sure lack of seat time pushing the car hard didn't help. Also didn't help that yesterday was "Ill Fest" with many turbo imports blowing up forcing repeated clean up.


Byron is almost 2 hours whereas GLD is only 20 minutes so drag radials is a better option for me. Thanks for the recommendation tho...
__________________
Production Number 1755
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.