Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Adam's hand polish tips?

So I just got a hand polish kit:
swirl and haze remover
revival polish
buttery wax

anyone have any reccomendations or tips that can be useful?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Pick a test section and start with just revive polish... see how you like that result, next to it do both steps (swirl & haze followed by revive) and compare. Not all cars will "need" both steps and if you don't need both steps don't waste the effort.

Also, if the product is applied to thick it can be more difficult to remove, so if you experience the polish fighting you on the removal try using a little less.

Last I'd say, work panel by panel rather than the whole car at once.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Milk, don't be fooled by the too much polish thing ... and especially the wax... You don't need very much at all... when you first start with the polish you can put a good size dap on there but as you move from section to section... it doesn't take much than a dime size dap to keep moving if that... towards the end of the job I was just squeezing polish out of the pad and kept going.

The buttery wax really takes even less put it on super thin.... you'll see what I mean...

Good luck brother!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I've done Zaino before, so I get the "little goes a long way".
Dylan, my car has a ton of swirls, they're not that bad but are noticable. Do you think the revive polish would help on it's own?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Man I don't envy you the next morning. Removing swirls on an entire car by hand, you won't be able to move
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I've done Zaino before, so I get the "little goes a long way".
Dylan, my car has a ton of swirls, they're not that bad but are noticable. Do you think the revive polish would help on it's own?
Set your expectations reasonably... theres very little in terms of paint correction you can achieve by hand. You'll get an improvement, but certainly not full removal of swirls. Its a numbers thing:
PC = 6800 oscillations per minute
Flex = 9600 oscillations per minute
Your hand = maybe 30 oscillations per minute, and you'll be tired!
The Revive will give you some improvement, but if the swirling is substantial then you will probably see more improvement from the Swirl & Haze followed by Revive. You really won't know until you take polish to paint, so thats why I suggested the test sections to get you started. That way you can see what kind of improvement you're looking at for the time invested.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
I tried to do it by hand at first as well, ended up with the pc and it still took many hours. I spent over 2 hours trying 1 fender by hand with terrible results.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote