Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #3515
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
An auto ZL1 starts at nearly $67k with dest., etc. $74k (with dest.) for the GT500 with it's additional 110 hp and a DCT is not that far fetched. I have heard of some people getting a base GT500 for msrp.
A auto ZL1 1LE is cheaper then a base GT500 with Recaros. plus the zl1 has more tech. If you add the tech package to the gt500 base, your near $4000 more then the 1le
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #3516
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Lol, that's why no matter that the N54 is notoriously issue prone - I am keeping ours as it is manual and I love daily driving it. I will just do the major issue fixes ahead of time.
Good choice!!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #3517
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post

Weird logic...in this way of thinking, DCT is inferior old tech and you should be hailing Tesla's - got yours yet?

It's coming. Next question?
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #3518
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
It's coming. Next question?
I have quite a few around this topic.

This is an argument that has been going on for years and years. Heck, even Porsche discontinued the manual transmission, only to realize that some buyers would choose a more engaging driving experience over a faster shift, and not offering a manual was a mistake.

Is there maybe something inherently different about Corvette buyers that maybe this doesn't apply? I think traditionally it seems so, but will the mid-engine design bring more non-traditional Corvette buyers that share the same mindset with these potential Porsche buyers? Is the difficulty in making a manual transmission work in the mid-engine chassis really more at play than anything else in GMs decision to not offer a manual? I think so, but I also wonder if the manual buyers are a dying breed. I do feel like less and less people want 3 pedals, younger generations cant text and drive a manual after all.

Maybe it will all but disappear, but I think for a while to come those that crave a manual transmission will have options. If GM doesn't decide to go that route with the ME Vette, thats okay....they still offer the ZL1/ZLE in manual, and I have always lusted over a 911 .
Old 09-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #3519
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
What is CF on the base GT500? It is a heavy beast no doubt. Didn't you look up the weight of the DCT a while back and it's something like 100 lbs heavier than an M6? I would guess it's about 40-50 lbs heavier than the ZL1's beefed up A10.

I am still baffled as to why they couldn't keep the weight closer to 4,000 lbs, or at least under 4,100 lbs in the base GT500.

That said, similar to the ZR1 being around 100 lbs heavier than the Z06, an LT5 powered ZL1 would be about 100 lbs heavier than the LT4 ZL1. Which would put the auto LT5 ZL1 at around 4,050 lbs.

It would also be more expensive than the LT4 powered ZL1, most likely in-line with the base GT500. If you think GM would put the LT5 in the ZL1 and not increase the price significantly, and if you think an LT5 powered ZL1 wouldn't also be heavier than the LT4 ZL1, I have some ocean front property in AZ I could sell you.
I agree that an lt5 zl1 would obviously gain weight and price, but it would still be cheaper to actually get a hold of than equivalently optioned/packaged gt500s even if both models of zl1 went up by 10k. My guess would be a defined lt5 if it happened at all.

Gaining 100 pounds similar to the zr1 wouldn't be unrealistic, also trim for trim the zr1 didn't quite gain 100 pounds, but it could possibly be slightly less as the zr1 had a lot of cooling over the z06 that needed to be added, where as the zl1s already had the appropriate cooling, though the zr1 also had some carbon fiber bits to make up for some of the gained weight so that might be a moot point.

Still a 3900lbs zl1 1le and 4000lbs zl1 isn't 4200 pounds bad. I think an lt5 zl1 would clean sweep a gt500 on a track but would still lose in a straight line due to all the torque management and protections a stock zl1 has that limit it's ability.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #3520
Baldilocks01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

This is an argument that has been going on for years and years. Heck, even Porsche discontinued the manual transmission, only to realize that some buyers would choose a more engaging driving experience over a faster shift, and not offering a manual was a mistake.

Is there maybe something inherently different about Corvette buyers that maybe this doesn't apply? I think traditionally it seems so, but will the mid-engine design bring more non-traditional Corvette buyers that share the same mindset with these potential Porsche buyers? Is the difficulty in making a manual transmission work in the mid-engine chassis really more at play than anything else in GMs decision to not offer a manual? I think so, but I also wonder if the manual buyers are a dying breed. I do feel like less and less people want 3 pedals, younger generations cant text and drive a manual after all.

Maybe it will all but disappear, but I think for a while to come those that crave a manual transmission will have options. If GM doesn't decide to go that route with the ME Vette, thats okay....they still offer the ZL1/ZLE in manual, and I have always lusted over a 911 .
It's the question of cost and return. When less than 20% of buyers opt for the manual, is it worth spending the R&D to develop a bespoke system that works on only one car? That's not GM's MO. That, along with the disparity in performance, I think, has killed the manual for the Corvette.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #3521
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
...and heavy.
I thought I had that in there lol. But yes also why its so heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post

Well I think the main difference is when Porsche dropped the manual and then added it back in the car had previously had one. Making it easy to go back and add it. The C8 was designed with never having a manual in mind, and is still also a Chevy and needs to be affordable. It also seems like when Porsche did it, they did it purely for a performance standpoint, while it seems GM is doing it from a business standpoint. If you take Tadge and other corvette engineers for their word they said it simply wasn't economically feasible to find someone to design the transmission for 2,000 cars per year based on how fast the M7 take rate plummeted in the C7. The only way I could see them going back and offering it, would be to charge quite the hefty price for it, a la the painted stripes on the GT500. Basically a we really don't want to do it but if you got the $ we will.

Quote:
It's the question of cost and return. When less than 20% of buyers opt for the manual, is it worth spending the R&D to develop a bespoke system that works on only one car? That's not GM's MO. That, along with the disparity in performance, I think, has killed the manual for the Corvette.
That's pretty much exactly what Tadge said. It wasn't worth the money to develop it for such a low take rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I agree that an lt5 zl1 would obviously gain weight and price, but it would still be cheaper to actually get a hold of than equivalently optioned/packaged gt500s even if both models of zl1 went up by 10k. My guess would be a defined lt5 if it happened at all.

Gaining 100 pounds similar to the zr1 wouldn't be unrealistic, also trim for trim the zr1 didn't quite gain 100 pounds, but it could possibly be slightly less as the zr1 had a lot of cooling over the z06 that needed to be added, where as the zl1s already had the appropriate cooling, though the zr1 also had some carbon fiber bits to make up for some of the gained weight so that might be a moot point.

Still a 3900lbs zl1 1le and 4000lbs zl1 isn't 4200 pounds bad. I think an lt5 zl1 would clean sweep a gt500 on a track but would still lose in a straight line due to all the torque management and protections a stock zl1 has that limit it's ability.
I think an LT5 Camaro would dominate anything and everything.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #3522
RobbyBeefcake87

Autos

Quote:
I think I saw some figures for 2018 corvettes that had the manual sales way lower than 20%. I suspect there's a lot of people who cry about manuals dying or how they should have a manual option for the c8 and gt500 but when given a chance buy an auto.

As a side note, the disparity in performance of manual c7s vs the autos isn't all that great and pretty much only in a straight line, but in a manual you have to work for it.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #3523
Baldilocks01SS

Quote:
As a side note, the disparity in performance of manual c7s vs the autos isn't all that great and pretty much only in a straight line, but in a manual you have to work for it.
I was referring to the C8 as the DCT is a much different beast than a regular auto. The only thing that Chevy has that comes close to the DCT in the C8 is the A10.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #3524
RobbyBeefcake87

Dct

Quote:
I was referring to the C8 as the DCT is a much different beast than a regular auto. The only thing that Chevy has that comes close to the DCT in the C8 is the A10.
Oh no arguments there, you cited a disparity in performance not a potential disparity so I assumed you meant the c7 auto vs manual. I'm sure a manual version c8 would be behind the dct in every metric.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #3525
Baldilocks01SS

Quote:
Oh no arguments there, you cited a disparity in performance not a potential disparity so I assumed you meant the c7 auto vs manual. I'm sure a manual version c8 would be behind the dct in every metric.
I'm willing to bet so far behind that it would make no sense to offer one -- at least one that's not electronic.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #3526
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Well isn't everything (but the door switch) already 100% bespoke on the C8?

I would look at it another way: would the customer pay +$20k for a manual? Would they sell 5% * 40k cars * $20k = $40mil incremental revenue or just 1% more cars @ $8mil incremental? $40mil would easily cover costs and then some. $8mil not so much.

9/10ths a marketing weasel and a beancounter did the projections and probably came up at the lower end, so they killed it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #3527
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Well isn't everything (but the door switch) already 100% bespoke on the C8?

I would look at it another way: would the customer pay +$20k for a manual? Would they sell 5% * 40k cars * $20k = $40mil incremental revenue or just 1% more cars @ $8mil incremental? $40mil would easily cover costs and then some. $8mil not so much.

9/10ths a marketing weasel and a beancounter did the projections and probably came up at the lower end, so they killed it.
And there in lies the problem, what would people pay for it that it would justify it's existence.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #3528
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
A auto ZL1 1LE is cheaper then a base GT500 with Recaros. plus the zl1 has more tech. If you add the tech package to the gt500 base, your near $4000 more then the 1le
And that ZLE is going to get embarrased on the street and strip, you know where people actually drive their cars. If your going to compare a ZL1 to a GT500 base, the ZL1 is a much better comparison, it actually wont throw your back out and rattle your dental fillings loose on the street, and it's faster.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote