Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #7449
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I'd have no problem daily driving and tracking an I4 or V6 1LE.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #7450
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Actually, I heard it’s a 2.0T. For him it seems the chassis and suspension are the reasons for purchase and he went with the lightest weight engine so that he could concentrate on the physics.
I think you’re right.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #7451
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I never saw that one. Nice, It settles the tire difference discussions somewhat.

But does it settle the Mustang track trans and diff overheating reviews? Did they stay on the track long enough to really test that?

I also thought that the comments about enjoying the tracking more in the ever so slightly slower Mustang was interesting. So if the Mustang was more fun did the faster time really matter? To me the Mustang won the comparison if it was more fun to track. The lap times was almost splitting hairs, at least to most drivers. Fun versus bragging rights?

I already knew the drag race results. No stock coyote M6 ever beat my stock '16 SS at Atco. I am not sure why that is unless the M6 does not keep the Mustang engine in the power band enough to keep up, even the newer ones.
I can understand the Coyote engine being fun to track. Similar to the Voodoo, shifting at 7,500 rpm, as opposed to the Camaro’s 6,000 rpm, would be a lot of fun. Especially if the car was on loan to you so the long term consequences don’t matter.

The trade off is that the Coyote doesn’t come alive until 4,000 rpm so it’s moot point ...but significant on the street where the LT1 is all there off idle. Also significant is that Ford didn’t design the PP2 to be a track car so it’s ability to be used on the track is intentionally limited.

The LT1 / Tremec combination is proven to be bulletproof. You can’t say that about the Coyote / MT82. The SS 1LE is the most complete package available from ant manufacturer in gen6 ...at a bargain msrp under $44k.

Fun versus bragging rights? Ford is all about a about a one lap headline. The PP2 and 2015-2016 GT350 show how willing they are to cut corners while putting forth an image.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #7452
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The situation with Camaro is even better than that!

The SS is fully track capably and is warrantied for that the same as the 1LE's and ZL1.

1SS starting MSRP is $37,995 with the following standard features
- 6.2L 455 hp / 455 lb-ft, 8.1 lbs/hp
- Tremec 6-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
- Brembo brakes with four-piston front and rear calipers with cooling ducts
- Heavy duty auxiliary engine cooling
- Transmission and differential coolers
- 20-inch wheels with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 run-flat summer-only tires
- Alpha platform. Exceptional chassis strength and rigidity
What would cup2s do for the SS?

Compared to the PP1?
Compared to the PP2 ...on it’s fourth lap?

What if the SS is optioned with the Chevrolet Performance front 6-piston Brembo® brake upgrade system?
- $3,175 SS Brembo brake upgrade (msrp $40,170)
- $5,195 Performance Package 1 (msrp $42,020)

Physics
- 3685 lbs : 1SS manual w/20” 245/275 summer performance tires
- 3743 lbs : GT w/ 18” 235 all season tires
- 3850 lbs : Bullitt w/ 19” 255/275 summer performance tires

Fuel capacity
- 19 gallons : Camaro
- 16 gallons : Mustang
Quote:
The results from the two H2H with the SS and SS 1LE give some perspective.
Streets of Willow

01:20.67 - 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
01:22.94 - 2015 BMW M4
01:23.15 - 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS (2SS)
01:23.97 - 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 1

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ck-comparison/
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...2020.tab1.html

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...-techspecs.pdf

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 05-24-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #7453
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
I can understand the Coyote engine being fun to track. Similar to the Voodoo, shifting at 7,500 rpm, as opposed to the Camaro’s 6,000 rpm, would be a lot of fun. Especially if the car was on loan to you so the long term consequences don’t matter.

The trade off is that the Coyote doesn’t come alive until 4,000 rpm so it’s moot point ...but significant on the street where the LT1 is all there off idle. Also significant is that Ford didn’t design the PP2 to be a track car so it’s ability to be used on the track is intentionally limited.

The LT1 / Tremec combination is proven to be bulletproof. You can’t say that about the Coyote / MT82. The SS 1LE is the most complete package available from ant manufacturer in gen6 ...at a bargain msrp under $44k.

Fun versus bragging rights? Ford is all about a about a one lap headline. The PP2 and 2015-2016 GT350 show how willing they are to cut corners while putting forth an image.
The point is are we tracking these cars to have the fastest time by a split second or are we doing it to go fast And have fun? More fun = win to me. The Mustang is a great car also. But the superior chassis of the Camaro is the main difference at the track. And here maybe the SS1LE having the ZL1 base setup may just be a little too light for the setup to be as effective (and fun) on the lighter car. But we are splitting hairs to say one is faster than the other. And perhaps the Mustang might be a little faster for anyone without Randy's mad track skills.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #7454
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
The point is are we tracking these cars to have the fastest time by a split second or are we doing it to go fast And have fun? More fun = win to me. The Mustang is a great car also. But the superior chassis of the Camaro is the main difference at the track. And here maybe the SS1LE having the ZL1 base setup may just be a little too light for the setup to be as effective (and fun) on the lighter car. But we are splitting hairs to say one is faster than the other. And perhaps the Mustang might be a little faster for anyone without Randy's mad track skills.
I will err on the side of fun 110% of the time lol. The zl1 is more fun on the streets to me, but there’s no denying what ford did with the 350 and its drivetrain is pretty cool on track...although still just me personally, i dig the alpha chassis on track also.

At the track attack event ford put on, you can almost leave the 350 in 3rd gear the entire time...pretty sure they do this purposefully for all the new guys.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #7455
hotlap

Quote:
Fun is the objective. Where is the PP2 Coyote fun?
- The track ...where you can keep the engine in that sweet 4,000 to 7,500 rpm range.

What isn’t the PP2?
- A track car ...as stated in Ford’s press release and evident by that lack of cooling for the track.

Is the non-track car PP2 covered by warranty if you blow your engine on the track?
- Ford = it’s not a track car.

Like is said, it would be great fun to drive balls out keeping it in the 4,000 to 7,500 rpm range. I can’t do that on the street - where the PP2 is designated to live by Ford.

Poof - fun gone - the fun is an illusion.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 05-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #7456
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'd rather win. Even if it's by a split second. Losing is not fun at all.

BTW, I thought RP was given that Camaro. Isn't that what all the fuss was about with the Mustang guys claiming he was bought off by GM and was sandbagging the Mustnag??
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #7457
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

BTW, I thought RP was given that Camaro. Isn't that what all the fuss was about with the Mustang guys claiming he was bought off by GM and was sandbagging the Mustnag??
From my understanding - he bought it himself.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #7458
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
4200lbs + 760hp + 180 treadware tires, they're gonna fall off quickly. It's basic math. Ford knew you get a couple hero laps on these Michelins and then they start to fall off. They're chasing the fastest lap time, whether its 10 laps or one.
pretty much sums it up, brevity is the heat of wit.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #7459
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
From my understanding - he bought it himself.
The bold part....
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #7460
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I would take Randy Pobst's opinions on the Alpha chassis cars being the best over these guy's opinon for track fun any day of the week...just saying...ones a dedicated professional race car driver and track aficionado and the others guys are not even in the same hemisphere, being respectful of their opinions of course but I'll side with Randy on this.
This. Also most video reviews have some give and take to have positive things to say about both cars and have a fun video for both "camps". You'll notice that watching their channel they reference the ss 1le plenty, I've never heard them reference the pp2 though.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #7461
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Concerning tires and track, this is not so. Seat time is the best mod for 99% of the HPDE crowd. Advanced drivers are able to exploit the performance limits of a vehicle. Hence, tires will typically provide the biggest improvement for these folks.
Seat time is not a performance modification, but thanks for giving everyone the politically correct HPDE noob answer.

Yes seat time is of the greatest importance to know what you are doing out there, but I will bet even a novice with 5 track days will knock off more time with a set of R comps vs running 5 more days on all seasons. Is that the correct way to go about it? Absolutely not.

Quote:
I don't see how a car with worse handing can be more fun on a track. Unless your fun is drifting or driving harder to go slower?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #7462
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Have you thought about Castrol SRF? It's more expensive, but it has a higher wet boiling point, so a lot of guys who use this can get away with changing the brake fluid once or twice a year, rather than every event.
I have considered it. I bought a supply of the Motul and still have some. Needless to say, I am not doing much tracking, at all, now.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote