Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I thought about maybe even upgrading headunits. Is the P1 and D1 a direct swap or I wonder if it requires other items.
That is an upgrade I had gone through before and depending on objective can be awesome!

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 05-22-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
This is exactly what I don't want to be doing...second guessing. Not saying the OP is...just saying (it already took me forever to pull the trigger). We all pretty much know the difference between the two. I too went through this dilemma. I went with the Procharger because.....

1. I did a lot of research too. One thing I didn't find is regrets. There was literally no one complaining about the Procharger...everyone loved it. That being said, no one complained about the PD either. Win Win either way.

So it boiled down to..do I want all the low end torque of the PD? Which research told me that..

1. Too easy to break the tires loose from a dig. Which I'm sure can be managed with the right foot. But still...it's true.
2. Much harder on the drive train.
3. You will have to drive differently than you do now. Big time
4. But still, neck breaking torque is fun too.

I really only want the extra power when I want extra power as I feel the SS has a lot of torque already. The Procharger gives me that.

All that being said..I wish I could've driven both before deciding. I'll let y'all know if I hate my Procharger. Install is only 2 weeks out now.
Well written grampa. I wouldn’t second guess a thing. There are always ways to make what you have better. If you happen to visit the track with friends or get into a roll race with a friend with a different configuration, you will see exactly where you stand. If not, then why does it matter? You do know that you are heads and shoulders above a stock car like yours.

I went through a time where I was running with a group and let’s just say the obsession was fed by the unholy friendship...we learned quickly that the “too much torque” thing was an internet fable.

You know what us Procharger guys did? We upped the boost and we added a converter and we were then running the same torque as the PD guys. But then I was faster, for a minute.

You know what the PD guys did? They added more flow and upped boost...then they were faster, for a minute.

The shit never ends. Just be happy with what you have and if you want to, keep making it better. There is always someone faster. Question is, when is enough for you...

Consider how great it is that we took a reasonable platform and made it so much cooler. Just think about this for a minute, we are taking our base platform and making it run 650, 700, 750, 800hp at the crank...how sick is that?

As soon as I get my next round done, I will be where I will end...but I will know it will take a heavily modded ZL1 or or a heavily modded Z06 to keep up...how great is that?

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I went with the Procharger because.....
Thanks for your support and welcome to the family.

Two really important things have helpped the ProChargers.

1) Our new blowers are killer, thats no fluff.
2) Transmissions having 6,7,8, and 10 gears now.

So the new blowers combined with the transmission NEVER lugging down in a low gear, really makes the driving experience with a centrifugal amazing.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #18
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
grandpa_ss, All of the new PD come with a diverter valve that makes it easy to drive like a normal SS. Not like the old PDs of yesteryear. And there really is no noticeable difference until you "demand" the power and then the PD kicks. With the diverter valve open, normal cruising around, the PD only takes about 1/3 hp to spin.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #19
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
grandpa_ss, All of the new PD come with a diverter valve that makes it easy to drive like a normal SS. Not like the old PDs of yesteryear. And there really is no noticeable difference until you "demand" the power and then the PD kicks. With the diverter valve open, normal cruising around, the PD only takes about 1/3 hp to spin.
That explains why my Magnuson feels fine putting around town. It doesn't get angry until I romp on it.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Sorry I have neither.
I went Heads/Cam as I wanted the power and the sound of course all the time.
99,9% daily driven. I change my oil more often than I track it.

Drive to work is 15 minutes. Half of that a whopping 50mph.
A Centri would never have a chance to kick in and would be driving all the time with $6K+ on my engine doing pretty much nothing.(always under 3K rpm)
A PD would be producing big smiles all the time driving around. Low speed around town, normal speeds out of town and when I had a chance to let it breath I am sure it would scare the crap out of me....

2 cents.

I would go PD

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
the biggest part that makes me consider the jump to PD is that the car is loud as hell so i rarely ever get above 4k rpms. The car goes nuts after that but i just don't get up there too often.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
For me...if there's any playing around it's from a roll. So, I just manually drop it into the gear that puts the RPMs around 4k or so, punch it and slap it back over into D. I'll have all the boost I need.

From a dead stop (without DR's) a PD will blow off the tires much easier than a centri. I think a centri is a little more forgiving from a dig.

Last edited by grampa_ss; 05-23-2018 at 10:23 AM.
grampa_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
I had an F1A and had a blast. I enjoyed it a lot, and it was great. I considered a PD blower when I reached the full potential of the F1A. But I chose against both for the same reason, I wanted larger. I thought about the TVS2650 but it was not available, and could see paying more money for the F1A-94 when the power potential I want(need). But I ended up building my own turbo system because I love banging my head into a wall, and torque.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #24
ShizzySupra

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS
Not going to comment on pro's/con's but can we put to bed the notion that PD blowers "blow the tires off"?

If you have crappy tires and make power you are going to spin in lower gears PERIOD. Most Centri guys are going to get mild converters so they can hit harder off the line anyways. Also when pullied correctly the Centri's should have enough low end grunt to give sub-par tires/road surfaces fits regardless.
ShizzySupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #25
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizzySupra View Post
Not going to comment on pro's/con's but can we put to bed the notion that PD blowers "blow the tires off"?

If you have crappy tires and make power you are going to spin in lower gears PERIOD. Most Centri guys are going to get mild converters so they can hit harder off the line anyways. Also when pullied correctly the Centri's should have enough low end grunt to give sub-par tires/road surfaces fits regardless.
I agree. I have a couple friends with ZL1s, and a couple CTS-Vs. They pull super hard. But with proper tuning, and suspension setup they are manage able. But let the internet tell it a PD blower will kill tires, and turbos and centri style superchargers will lag forever. And I can say even on my Mickey Ts traction was an issue with my F1A even with the largest pulley I could fit.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
If you have crappy tires and make power you are going to spin in lower gears PERIOD.
Now that's some solid info...thank you.
Quote:
Also when pullied correctly the Centri's should have enough low end grunt to give sub-par tires/road surfaces fits regardless.
So as long my tires suck, I should be able to do a burnout.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #27
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Not that it's too late either. Im sure if I went that route I could easily sell the P1 setup I have and hopefully for as little difference get into something like the ADM Performance package
If you decide to sell the Procharger......I might be interested. I did the PD route with my previous car and want to try procharger this time around.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #28
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
With my 700 rwhp I can blow the street tires off 90 plus mph. Ask Drsagacity, he's seen the video. I got one of them Maggies.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote