Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #43
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I will mention this also, the Viper cam in a cam design can bring another 5 to 10 % more torque, fuel economy, and HP to the OHV engine, so while DOHC engines have lots of money spent on them, there is technology that can bring even more competitiveness to the OHV, that being variable valve overlap. So the demise of the OHV maybe longer than people think. Me, I'm comfortable either way.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #44
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I will mention this also, the Viper cam in a cam design can bring another 5 to 10 % more torque, fuel economy, and HP to the OHV engine, so while DOHC engines have lots of money spent on them, there is technology that can bring even more competitiveness to the OHV, that being variable valve overlap. So the demise of the OHV maybe longer than people think. Me, I'm comfortable either way.
I would love to see this technolgy more widespread on pusrod engines (DOHC already has independant cams as I'm sure you are aware).

But, I would love to see things go camless. They are researching using solonoid acuators for the valves instead of a cam. Once they do this it will unlock a bunch more torque and efficiency to the ICE, as you aren't tied to one specific camshaft profile. The computer can open/close the valves in any manner as needed on the fly...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #45
ILBMF

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS '06 Mustang GT
I'm with you on going camless. I'd like to see this technology in development.
ILBMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #46
oldman

I think we should protect the endangered cams. Protect the cam... stop the camless, hedonist all. You can pry my cam out of my cold dead hands.
http://chryslercorporationllc.blogsp...am-in-cam.html

Of course, this almost 90 HP gain has some supporting mods... but clearly it kicks &ss.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #47
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
I think we should protect the endangered cams. Protect the cam... stop the camless, hedonist all. You can pry my cam out of my cold dead hands.
http://chryslercorporationllc.blogsp...am-in-cam.html

Of course, this almost 90 HP gain has some supporting mods... but clearly it kicks &ss.

Is cam in cam a thing now? The article is dated 2007. I would expected cars to be using it by now unless it's just being saved as a next gen thing for who knows how long.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #48
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan268 View Post
Is cam in cam a thing now? The article is dated 2007. I would expected cars to be using it by now unless it's just being saved as a next gen thing for who knows how long.
The only usage that I know of was the Viper for 90 horse gain. This is not expensive tech, and the gm phaser probably could be used out of the box, I'm pointing out that GM could use this for leap forward that OHC currently can't match.... obviously talking about cheap power gain, as we all know OHC already feature VVT overlap
Old 02-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #49
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
The only usage that I know of was the Viper for 90 horse gain. This is not expensive tech, and the gm phaser probably could be used out of the box, I'm pointing out that GM could use this for leap forward that OHC currently can't match.... obviously talking about cheap power gain, as we all know OHC already feature VVT overlap
I am really surprised that this hasn't trickled down into other OHC engines, especially ones from FCA like the HEMI's. There must be some reason I can't think of, because it isn't terribly complicated.

But camless will significanly better. VVT with or without cam-in-cam design only lets you vary the timing between the crankshaft and camshaft. So you can delay the valve operation or advance the valve operation. But the valves still move to the same height and open and close in the same manner. With solonoid driven valves, they are run by a computer. The computer can chose to open early and close late, or open late and close early (something a VVT can't do). It can also vary the amount the valve opens, and they can do so separatly for each piston for each combustion. This will also simplify cylider deactivation, since you don't need additional mechanical devices to in the valve train to shut down a cylinder. The computer can just choose to not open the valves. Which again, makes dynamie skip-fire even more efficient as well.

And think of this... If you want a bigger cam in a traditional engine, you have to tear the engine down and replace the cam. With camless, you just apply a new tune that makes the computer open the valves as though you had a more agressive cam. AND, I can envision where you can have a mild cam-like settins for daily driving, but flip a switch and BOOM, you now have a big lopy like cam (virtually of course). It would be like have an infinate number of cam shafts available at any time, and the computer can switch every millisecond if need be...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #50
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I am really surprised that this hasn't trickled down into other OHC engines, especially ones from FCA like the HEMI's. There must be some reason I can't think of, because it isn't terribly complicated.

But camless will significanly better. VVT with or without cam-in-cam design only lets you vary the timing between the crankshaft and camshaft. So you can delay the valve operation or advance the valve operation. But the valves still move to the same height and open and close in the same manner. With solonoid driven valves, they are run by a computer. The computer can chose to open early and close late, or open late and close early (something a VVT can't do). It can also vary the amount the valve opens, and they can do so separatly for each piston for each combustion. This will also simplify cylider deactivation, since you don't need additional mechanical devices to in the valve train to shut down a cylinder. The computer can just choose to not open the valves. Which again, makes dynamie skip-fire even more efficient as well.

And think of this... If you want a bigger cam in a traditional engine, you have to tear the engine down and replace the cam. With camless, you just apply a new tune that makes the computer open the valves as though you had a more agressive cam. AND, I can envision where you can have a mild cam-like settins for daily driving, but flip a switch and BOOM, you now have a big lopy like cam (virtually of course). It would be like have an infinate number of cam shafts available at any time, and the computer can switch every millisecond if need be...
VANOS, can vary lift and duration from nil to huge, needing no TB.

I not only race a Type R with VTEC, the wife / kids race a Mini with BMW's 2.0 VANOS / Valvetronic can go from idle to huge lifts and duration with no TB, the engine is phenomenal, and fuel economy is also VERY good.

As an aside, in the LS1 days, gm was looking at two cams in the block one for the intake and one for the exhaust....

Last edited by oldman; 02-15-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #51
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
While cool

1. I doubt it ever finds its way into anything else other than trucks,

2. I don't get it, If I am getting a heavy duty truck and springing for an optional engine I am getting the diesel
In California, we're forced to use "low sulfur diesel" that's hell on diesel injector$ and pump$ (You should see the prices on those). and good luck even finding a place that can work on them when (not if) they need replacement.
No way in hell I'd get anything diesel, if I had to drive it in this God-forsaken state.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #52
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
In California, we're forced to use "low sulfur diesel" that's hell on diesel injector$ and pump$ (You should see the prices on those). and good luck even finding a place that can work on them when (not if) they need replacement.
No way in hell I'd get anything diesel, if I had to drive it in this God-forsaken state.
All diesel fuel in the US is ULSD and has been since 2010.
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #53
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsOUT View Post
All diesel fuel in the US is ULSD and has been since 2010.
ULtra low sulfur diesel has been in the US since late 2006 when the particulate filters came for MY 2007. The addition of DEF (diesel emission fluid) for the SCR system that reduces NOx came in 2010.

California has it bad because all the older diesel engines are forced to be updated to 2010 emissions or they must leave the state

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 02-16-2019 at 07:09 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #54
oldman

NOx is needed to fertilizer plants and any give strorm produces far more NOx in the same region vs engines, which is an integral part of the rain / plant / growth system. Just saying.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 AM   #55
lightsOUT

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
ULtra low sulfur diesel has been in the US since late 2006 when the particulate filters came for MY 2007. The addition of DEF (diesel emission fluid) for the SCR system that reduces NOx came in 2010.

California has it bad because all the older diesel engines are forced to be updated to 2010 emissions or they must leave the state
You’re right for on-highway use. Between 2007 and 2010 it was still legal to use LSD for off-highway applications.
lightsOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #56
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

Probably will be that the PCM/ECM will be completely locked and not tunable the way things are headed.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote