Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
MaxxHP

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Aftermarket Ring and Pinion/ Diff interchangeability questions

Hey guys, pretty sure this is my first post. I haven't even owned my car for a year yet (bought new in May of 18) but this question has been bugging me for quite some time. I would like to swap my 2.77 gears out for something a little steeper like a 3.27. I'm running a 305/35/20 555R so my tires are hurting my gearing even more, I believe they are about an inch taller than stock. I've read posts of people swapping in the manual 3.73 gears but I don't want to go that high.

First question: is there a company that makes aftermarket gears? I haven't been able to find any but maybe there's something in the works.

Next: Is it possible to swap diffs from an I4 or V6 car? Maybe just the ring and pinion? I compared the housings at work (since I have access to 3d models of our entire car) and they look extremely close, even to some of the Cadillacs like the ATS and CT6 but a few didn't have cooler fittings like ours.

IDK, you guys are the experts so I thought I would get your thoughts.

BTW I work at GM so if you guys need any schematics are part numbers, things of that nature feel free to ask.

I have an 18 1SS, blue with black rims/ bow ties. Mag suspension, NPP, sunroof. 4000 miles and I love the car (besides the TCC shudder)
MaxxHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The challenge is that the ring gear is welded instead of bolted to the carrier on the 6th Gen Camaro. There have been a few people look at putting the V6 1LE differential into a V8.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524020

You would have to swap some parts like the hubs between the differentials and do something with the differential cooler lines but it looks like it would work. The next question would be how much power the V6 differential could handle.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
MaxxHP

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
thanks for the reply. I would love to learn more about this. One guy even spoke about converting to a GEN 5 diff.
MaxxHP is offline   Reply With Quote