Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
NEW CA EXHAUST LAWS

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...-open-business
Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Law isnt new. Only difference is that now its a fine, before it was a "fix it" ticket.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I think this new law is aimed at the import tuner cars with the loud exhaust. I had a new exhaust put on my 47 chevy today and my exhaust guy is laughing because he is going to be taking off all those fart cans he put on the import cars.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

yea i persoanlly have ever been messed with in my camaro and i have longtubes and exhaust but still try to not get on it when im around cops
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
_might_ have to change out the borla on my girl's ralliart. As it will likely be profiled by cops ...but it's been on for over a year and no issues.

I'm not really worried either way. I'd just be curious how often it gets fought in court over the fact that it almost certainly will never be enforced on rich people's exotics and motorcycles but instead only targeted to certain demographics.

I've said it before, but the golden age of driving is over. We're on the cusp of driving being relegated to a service and there's no room for your fun and hijinks within that public service. And soon, there wont be room for your human driving in it either. Population size and increasing use of the basically fixed size resource demands it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I feel this law is being used as a gateway for officials to dig deaper and give them free run into any part of the car. It basically forces anyone to have to take their vehicle to a state repair inspection location. I don’t have anything on mine that would cause an issue at the state inspection location but the whole thing seams shady. My question would be for the actual test. They test the sound level at a specific distance and location from the tail pipes looking for anything over 95 decibels at idle or 2500 rpm. On cars with NPP exhaust, what mode are they allowed to use for testing? I for one would put it in stealth mode and lock the display into valet mode. I believe this would prevent access to the driving mode adjustments but I need to look it up to confirm. I get they are after the side show idiot crowd but with that $1000 fine you know the main point is revenue then safety second.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
cellsafemode

noise has nothing to do about safety but the meaning you were making is valid.

It's definitely about revenue. Most cop patrol duties are about revenue, that's why they hide and try and catch you doing something against the law instead of just implement monitoring devices or be fully visible in the open, enforcing the law uniformly 100% of the time.

People dont want these laws enforced 100% of the time. They're written in a way they are because that's how laws have to be written, but they really want per-situation review and only enforcing the law when it makes sense that something is really wrong. You can't write that into law though and the side-effect is that it gives massive amounts of power to the police who are benefiting not only from applying the law liberally but also in who they apply it to. Poor people are almost always targetted by these laws rather than rich people. Since poor people dont really vote, this ensures the practice can continue unabated.

Someone else mentioned this idea before but these kinds of fines and laws need to be written in a way that the money doesn't go to the state or police but is returned back to drivers who paid for vehicle registration that year as a dividend. Then there's no incentive for the police to overextend the spirit of the laws and they can focus on safety instead of tax collecting.

The other option is to make fines a percentage of your income like they do in some european countries. You'll see some review over how laws are applied really quick when rich people are impacted by a speeding ticket or some noise violation the same as it impacts a poorer person. Good luck getting that passed in this country though. Haves do not want to play by the same rules as the have nots.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
the law is subjective. I experienced the same problem in Quebec where it said you couldn't have an exhaust "noisier" than stock. Tickets handed out left and right and you had no way of beating them. Even stock STIs and stock SRT4's were getting tickets.

The problem with this california law is that its $1000 ticket for a loud exhaust, then a mandatory inspection. What happens when the cop says your NPP is too loud and you get $1000 ticket and inspection. The work involved in getting out of that will be huge and annoying.

"Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits."

There is no provision or values specified, any cop who doesn't like you can and WILL claim that your exhaust is too loud. Have fun proving otherwise.
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
cellsafemode

NPP by definition bypasses the muffler. That's how it works. Though, as you quoted, these stipulations have already existed. Now you just get a different type of ticket. So if you start getting ticketed now all of a sudden, we'll know it's strictly a cash grab. Otherwise, no change. If you drive a car that gets profiled (or drive in an area where you'll be profiled), you'll still be profiled.

What really aggravates me regarding these kinds of laws is that they dont apply them equally. Motorcycles always get a pass due to how few there are, but the proportion of those that do drive around having no muffler at all is ridiculous. The only instance I've ever had in the 5 years living where i live of a noise ordinance violation has been due to motorycles. People in cars tend to not pound the throttle repeatedly when entering and exiting their residence. Such behavior seems to be mandatory for motorcycles.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

people always tell me its a muscle car so dont worry about it they only target imports but not so sure about that lol

ive never had any issues and almost 3 years or owning the car but always light on throttle when a cop is around
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I hear as long as the exhaust is stock, it's ok. Besides, it's not a new law but a change that it's not correctable any more
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
I did sell sport bike motorcycle aftermarket pipes in Cal .. Now I can't ship any aftermarket exhaust to Cal .. Big fine of I do .. :( Cal was a big part of my income and now it's gone ..
smokinzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #13
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
the law is subjective. I experienced the same problem in Quebec where it said you couldn't have an exhaust "noisier" than stock. Tickets handed out left and right and you had no way of beating them. Even stock STIs and stock SRT4's were getting tickets.

The problem with this california law is that its $1000 ticket for a loud exhaust, then a mandatory inspection. What happens when the cop says your NPP is too loud and you get $1000 ticket and inspection. The work involved in getting out of that will be huge and annoying.

"Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits."

There is no provision or values specified, any cop who doesn't like you can and WILL claim that your exhaust is too loud. Have fun proving otherwise.
Actually there are specified values. 95db for cars and vehicles under 6000gvwr. Motorcycles also have a db value based on year of manufacture.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=27151

"(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment."

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum= 27202.

Attached Images

24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
“Law isnt new. Only difference is that now its a fine, before it was a "fix it" ticket.” This does not make it ok. It could be upwards of a $1000 fine!

This is downright Orwellian. I know this is a car forum but nationwide and especially in CA, your liberties are being dismantled like the frog in the boiling pot, slowly but SURELY! When they’re gone it’ll be too late.