Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Bwrin

Drives: Camaro
AFM concerns

New to the forum and just bought my first Camaro 2 weeks ago!
2016 V6 RS in Nightfall Gray Metallic, I love it.

I think I've read just about every post in the general and issues forum, but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. I've read all over the place about issues with the AFM system causing damage to the lifters and other internal components over time, leaving to short lifespan of the engine. I read it was a big problem in the earlier 5.3 engines, but what about current models like my LGX? Is this something I'm going have to be worry about down the road, be concerned about, or have they ironed out the issues?

I don't really mind having it. I wish I could shut it off, but it's not a big deal. I don't really notice the transition unless I'm in V4 and give it some gas. Sometimes I get a slight shudder, and then it goes back V6. I need to go to the dealership and see if that transmission ECU update was done concerning the turbine shaft.

Thanks everyone, glad to be on the forum.
Bwrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
I assume they are better at it. My 09 was/is an oil burner and lifters talk to you. For sure it is not as good as a straight cam/lifter non-AFM set up. You do not have much choice with GM. Even the manual 8 has the components of AFM they just do not activate. . If you have ever seen an AFM engine torn down you will see all the AFM oil channels and switches n the valley cover. Here is a write up on how AFM works:

Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Description
System Operation
General Motors Active Fuel Management engine control system has the ability, under certain light load driving conditions, to provide maximum fuel economy by deactivating 4 of the engines 8 cylinders. The engine will normally operate on 8 cylinders in V8 mode during starting, idling, and medium or heavy throttle conditions. When commanded ON, the engine control module (ECM) will direct the active fuel management system and deactivate cylinders 1 and 7 on the left bank and cylinders 4 and 6 on the right bank, forcing V4 mode. Refer to Lubrication Description and Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Description.

Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly

The valve lifter oil manifold assembly is bolted to the top of the engine block beneath the intake manifold assembly. The oil manifold consists of 4 electrically operated and normally-closed solenoids. Each solenoid directs the flow of pressurized engine oil to the active fuel management intake and exhaust valve lifters. The active fuel management oil pressure relief valve, located in the oil pan, regulates engine oil pressure to the lubrication system and the oil manifold.

When enabling conditions are met for active fuel management operation, the ECM will ground each solenoid control circuit in firing order sequence, allowing current to flow through the solenoid windings. With the windings energized, the solenoid valves open and direct pressurized engine oil through the valve lifter oil manifold into 8 vertical passages in the engine block lifter valley. The 8 vertical passages, 2 per cylinder, direct pressurized oil to the valve lifter bores of the cylinders to be deactivated. When vehicle operating conditions require a return to V8 mode, the ECM will turn OFF the ground circuit for the solenoids, allowing the solenoid valves to close. When the solenoid valves are closed, remaining oil pressure is exhausted through the bleed passages of the valve lifter oil manifold into the engine block lifter valley. The housing of the oil manifold incorporates several oil bleed passages that continually purge trapped air from the manifold and engine block.

To help control contamination within the active fuel management hydraulic system, a small replaceable oil filter is located in the valve lifter oil manifold oil inlet passage. The oil pressure sensor monitors engine oil pressure and provides information to the ECM.

Active Fuel Management Valve Lifters

When operating in V8 mode, the active fuel management valve lifters function similar to the non-active fuel management valve lifters. The active fuel management oil manifold solenoids are in the closed position, with no pressurized oil directed to the valve lifters. The pushrod travels upward and downward to actuate the rocker arm and valve. The spring loaded locking pins of the lifter are extended outward and mechanically lock the pin housing to the outer body of the valve lifter.

When the active fuel management system is commanded ON, the ECM will direct the solenoids of the oil manifold to open and direct pressurized oil to the valve lifters. Oil travels through the valve lifter oil manifold and engine block oil galleries and enters the inlet port of the valve lifter.

When operating in V4 mode, pressurized oil forces the locking pins inward. The pushrod remains in a constant position and does not travel upward and downward. The outer body of the lifter moves upward and downward independently from the pin housing. The valve lifter spring retains tension on the valve train components to eliminate valve train noise.

When the active fuel management system is commanded OFF, the ECM directs the solenoids of the oil manifold to close, stopping the flow of pressurized oil to the valve lifters. The oil pressure within the lifter will decrease and the locking pins will move outward to mechanically lock the pin housing and outer body.

The active fuel management engine block incorporates additional features to support active fuel management system operation. Engine oil pressure is routed to the valve lifter oil manifold assembly from an oil gallery in the rear of the cylinder block. Cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7 each have 2 vertical, cast-in-block oil passages . The vertical oil passages permit oil flow from the manifold assembly to the valve lifter bores.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Stex

Glen e has been using the Range to shut it off and reports no problems. Others have report problems with the range. IF you get trade before 70-100m miles I would not worry too much. If it is a lifer car for you, I would tune it out only, no other tune changes, after say 7,000 and take my chances with warranty.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Does the V6 have AFM? I thought it was only on the V8s.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Stex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
I pretty sure Glenn drives a 6 and he uses the range for sure.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
18 months and 8k miles....

I have the v6 and the Range module, but really don't use it, prob should sell it. Just not that much diff. I'm not keeping this car for 100-200k miles, so AFM is no concern for me.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Bwrin

I was looking on the 5th gen forum and haven't read of any issues, even with high miles. I drive around 22k miles a year, and can't imagine I'll keep it more than 4 years or so. It'll have about 100k at that point, so I'm sure I'll trade it.

I think I'd rather have start/stop installed on my V6 rather than AFM, but doubt that'll ever happen on these cars lol
Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwrin View Post
I was looking on the 5th gen forum and haven't read of any issues, even with high miles. I drive around 22k miles a year, and can't imagine I'll keep it more than 4 years or so. It'll have about 100k at that point, so I'm sure I'll trade it.

I think I'd rather have start/stop installed on my V6 rather than AFM, but doubt that'll ever happen on these cars lol
That Stop/Start feature is one of the worst things i dealt with on my previous BMW. Found a guy to have my system hacked and got it to stay off for good without having to press the button every time i got into the car to deactivate it. AFM at least on the V8 isn't such a big deal and rather save some gas when it comes down to it then disengage...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Glen e

I hav sat thru meetings at NADA and heard all the mfrs say start/stop is coming to ALL cars within 5 years. Why? Because more than any other feature, even aero, it saves gas.Big time. coming to bikes too. Already on some of honda's scooters.

The good news is it will be able to be switched off from the dash.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-29-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
Skerj

Drives: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
The V6 also goes into 4 banger mode.
Skerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I hav sat thru meetings at NADA and heard all the mfrs say it's coming to ALL cars within 5 years. Why? Because more than any other feature, even aero, it saves gas.Big time. coming to bikes too. Already on some of honda's scooters.

The good news is it will be able to be switched off from the dash.
Are you talking about AFM or start/stop feature? Because if its that start/stop feature crap thats gonna be a bummer. If they make it to where the car remembers the last setting then all good but to press the button every time you restart your car is nonsense.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Bwrin

I mean, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if in touring mode it was on, but off when you're in sport mode or something. I know I've been sitting in traffic or a drive through wondering how much gas I'm wasting sitting here. Then sometimes I end up shutting down the engine manually.
I have a V6, so it wouldn't bother me. Fun car, fast compared to the Honda's I've usually had, but think there can be some compromise. If I had the V8, fuel efficiency probably wouldn't be the most important factor in my decision to buy a V8, so it would probably bother me then.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon718nyc View Post
Are you talking about AFM or start/stop feature? Because if its that start/stop feature crap thats gonna be a bummer. If they make it to where the car remembers the last setting then all good but to press the button every time you restart your car is nonsense.

I am referring to start stop. Each manufacturer has to decide how they want to give to turn it off , however want to makes the most sense is it remembers "last setting" when you turn off the car. So therefore if you have it turned off, it will start that way. Everybody wins.

BMW currently uses this last settings feature, Mercedes-Benz just gives you a button so you have to turn it off every time you start the car.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwrin View Post

In the 5th Gen only the Auto V8 cars with the L99 motor which I have has it. But like you said not many real problems mostly just was an annoyance and is one of the reasons I'm tuned now.

The V6's never had it so your LGX is the first V6 with it for GM at least in the Camaro world I'm not sure if they have done it on anything else yet. But on the plus side you have the benefit of their experience with it over quite a period of time.

I have a 2017 GMC truck with 5.3L and AFM and it is fairly noticeable including some shudder sometimes felt with the A8 trans in it. I'd say its a better implementation than my L99 has but not by much....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote