Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
I have to say that in my 17 V6 convertible, I actually have to watch the DIC to see when it enters 4 cylinder mode. I have the dual mode exhaust and I honestly can't tell when it kicks in.

My 2013 2SS with AFM was so obvious, especially with an aftermarket exhaust, that I used the Range device til I traded the car.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk823 View Post
I have to say that in my 17 V6 convertible, I actually have to watch the DIC to see when it enters 4 cylinder mode. I have the dual mode exhaust and I honestly can't tell when it kicks in.

My 2013 2SS with AFM was so obvious, especially with an aftermarket exhaust, that I used the Range device til I traded the car.
Exactly! And why I brought the range early, on my 13ss, it was terrible when it went in and out of AFM. On this car I really can't tell.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
gen5wannabe

Drives: dodge avenger
So, that's it? A lifetime of owner misery from AFM and start/stop and it's not talked about anymore? Was thinking of buying used at a great price but sounds like this idiotic technology is there and you have to live with it. Wow. The things owners put up with.
gen5wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
I think you can miss most AFM failures, IF you trade your cars every 3 yrs or so. Seems the AFM failures are 75,000 and up. They Really kick in over 100,000. I would turn it off, as I did on mine, hoping the lifters not going from normal to collapsed all the time will cut down on AFM lifter failure rates. My lifters talk to me at times but no failure yet.

You can run but you cannot hide. Now they have DFM. DFM still uses collapsing lifters and what seems a more complex mechanical set up. The DFM soft ware is way more complex.

As for stop start, I hope range can add the work around to their device. Stopping DFM and Stop start.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
I think you can miss most AFM failures, IF you trade your cars every 3 yrs or so. Seems the AFM failures are 75,000 and up. They Really kick in over 100,000. I would turn it off, as I did on mine, hoping the lifters not going from normal to collapsed all the time will cut down on AFM lifter failure rates. My lifters talk to me at times but no failure yet.

You can run but you cannot hide. Now they have DFM. DFM still uses collapsing lifters and what seems a more complex mechanical set up. The DFM soft ware is way more complex.

As for stop start, I hope range can add the work around to their device. Stopping DFM and Stop start.
oof. I'm at 64700 on mine. Don't notice anything unusual
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote