Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Pi Toolbox Data Analysis (MORE DATA than Cosworth Toolbox)

Not sure if this has been covered before but just discovered this last night and for those who are really serious about their data, its a must!!!

It's really tough to get setup but when this guys video helps a ton!

I used it to create a custom G-SUM data output to see how much of the tire grip I was actually using at all times. Great tool!

Last edited by mjk3888; 01-30-2019 at 07:42 AM.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I used that same video a while back to get started with it...every time I go back in, I have to open that video again...
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
First I've seen this. Thanks for posting. This is more like what I wanted for data acquisition review.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I used that same video a while back to get started with it...every time I go back in, I have to open that video again...
I think you can save your settings instead of having to recreate them every time.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I think you can save your settings instead of having to recreate them every time.
It's not the save your settings issue...it's the dumb operator trying to remember how to get around the software. Heck, I forget how to do stuff on my iPhone and have to get my sons to help at times...
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
It's not the save your settings issue...it's the dumb operator trying to remember how to get around the software. Heck, I forget how to do stuff on my iPhone and have to get my sons to help at times...
It is REALLY difficult but hopefully I'll learn it after a few more sessions. I wonder if its the actual software the race teams use instead of the flashy consumer version of the regular Toolbox.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #7
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Once you set up the data that you would like to analyze and the layout of the graphs, etc, you can just open new data files into that saved format. It becomes pretty easy to use at that point. However, that video and others help to get you to that point. There are some pretty unintuitive things you need to do to get set up the first time.

The tool is quite powerful and is worth using with your PDR files. It can answer lots of questions about your runs and help you compare where you are gaining or losing time between runs.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Scargoes

Played around with this more today and got my 3 quickest laps overlaid. pretty cool data. I need to get to the track more!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
Once you set up the data that you would like to analyze and the layout of the graphs, etc, you can just open new data files into that saved format. It becomes pretty easy to use at that point. However, that video and others help to get you to that point. There are some pretty unintuitive things you need to do to get set up the first time.

The tool is quite powerful and is worth using with your PDR files. It can answer lots of questions about your runs and help you compare where you are gaining or losing time between runs.
I love what all it shows you can't see normally, but, like you said, there are some unintuitive ways within. One of the biggest learnings for me was how little I was seeing actual Stability Control interaction when I run in PTM Sport 1 (which I do on dead cold tires and with passengers - just to have a bit of SC there). Looking at the PDR, you see the Traction Control symbol show up a bit frequently, but, I had only two very short instances of Stability Control on a 2:23 lap (with a passenger) on a 3.1-mile technical circuit (MSR-Cresson, TX). I never felt any SC, but, wondered how much was really there.

I haven't opened the tool in months (and months), so, I can't even tell myself how to get back to there. However, there is a ton of good data for review, comparisons, etc.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
D K

Drives: C5
how expensive is this program?
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
how expensive is this program?
Free! Just has a really steep learning curve.

Pi Toolbox:
http://support.cosworth.com/post/pi-...nloads-9658586

Cosworth Toolbox:
http://download.cosworth.com/downloa...r/GM/Index.htm
Old 01-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
Scargoes

There is a paid version of Pi Toolbox but I haven't been able to find the price or how to upgrade to it.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
D K

Drives: C5
I remember when I raced shifter karts pi was the big name in the game and as ridiculously expensive.
Us low lives used drack. Which later became aim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Free! Just has a really steep learning curve.

Pi Toolbox:
http://support.cosworth.com/post/pi-...nloads-9658586

Cosworth Toolbox:
http://download.cosworth.com/downloa...r/GM/Index.htm
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
To reiterate what others have said, the basic Pi Tool box download is free as long as it's to one computer. It is a weird download process and the latest version is like from 2016, so I wasn't sure at first, but it will download.

The basic version doesn't allow any video integration. The HiPo driver channel on Youtube uses I think the "pro version" which is $1K + i believe.

One thing I didn't see until recently on the GM Cosworth Tool was the ability to sync the two laps you're trying to compare by distance vs. time. Which was one of the best functions that sent me to the Pi tool. How I missed it is beyond me, but it is in the Video and Corners menu way down in the very bottom right.

Also don't be afraid to ask other Camaro owners to share files. Unless you're in IMSA we all want to get better and push one another. I'm very fortunate that I have two other ZL1's buddies that are blowing my times away that I get to download their files and see where I'm losing time.

Besides the distance sync, the other really valuable piece in the Pi toolbox you can't see in the Cosworth tool is the ability to do split reports. Helps you focus on incremental improvement vs just going faster everywhere.

Both tools are just simply amazing and I wish I had gotten deeper into this years ago, outside of "Harry's Lap TImer" which for the cost wasn't horrible.

Last edited by Exgermanowner; 02-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Exgermanowner is offline   Reply With Quote