Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #29
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Stock NPP, but I would definitely consider that Flowmaster American Thunder with NPP.
SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #30
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
Stock NPP, but I would definitely consider that Flowmaster American Thunder with NPP.
That's what I'm getting. It's getting shipped next week. Sure, the Borlas, AWE's, Corsa's etc are no doubt good systems, I just prefer the Flowmaster sound. After hearing it in person on another ZL1 where I'm at, I was hooked.(Also heard it on an SS and it was sweet music!)I personally think at higher RPM and heavy throttle it sounds more "growly" or deeper toned than the ones I listed above. The
ones listed above SEEM too raspy or higher pitched than I like. Not knocking the other systems, just my opinion and what I like. Like the Camaro itself, everyone likes their own trim levels and options. Just my .02.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:08 PM   #31
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTMARE23 View Post
That's what I'm getting. It's getting shipped next week. Sure, the Borlas, AWE's, Corsa's etc are no doubt good systems, I just prefer the Flowmaster sound. After hearing it in person on another ZL1 where I'm at, I was hooked.(Also heard it on an SS and it was sweet music!)I personally think at higher RPM and heavy throttle it sounds more "growly" or deeper toned than the ones I listed above. The
ones listed above SEEM too raspy or higher pitched than I like. Not knocking the other systems, just my opinion and what I like. Like the Camaro itself, everyone likes their own trim levels and options. Just my .02.
I've alwayd loved the Flowmaster tone. I had it on my 95 8 cyl Camaro RS. You've chosen well and will love it. Take a look at this vid. Tell me that's not badass
https://youtu.be/P8IsEk6sO38
SSShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #32
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I am a Magnaflow guy. I like the pushrod grumble vs the Flowmaster raspy.

But the NPP on my ZL1 is nasty as hell at WOT, especially with the waaaaa, waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:34 PM   #33
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I am a Magnaflow guy. I like the pushrod grumble vs the Flowmaster raspy.

But the NPP on my ZL1 is nasty as hell at WOT, especially with the waaaaa, waaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
Magnaflow was going go be my second choice if the Flowmaster didn't get shipped next week(been waiting since October). .
You are absolutely correct, the ZL1 NPP is DAMN fine for a stock system. One of the best sounding stock systems of the big 3.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:36 PM   #34
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
I've alwayd loved the Flowmaster tone. I had it on my 95 8 cyl Camaro RS. You've chosen well and will love it. Take a look at this vid. Tell me that's not badass
https://youtu.be/P8IsEk6sO38
Yes! LOVE that sound!
Old 05-23-2023, 07:46 PM   #35
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - 2018 ZL1

Brand of Exhaust - BORLA S-type

Type (Axle or Cat Back) - technically axle back. I have kooks headers and kooks mid pipes. Had the axle back before I did the rest of the exhaust.

Pros - sounds great at start up, quiet at idle and freeway speeds and lud when u mash the gas
Cons - not really borlas fault...but the exhaust is loud if you track the car. Axle back won't pass a sound limit. I got 101db just with Mt axle back.

Do you like it or not - I do and would do it all over again the same way.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:49 PM   #36
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
For good measure... My magnaflow experience...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YvMEAa8bg4o My SCat with xMOD

obviously my GTO

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:49 AM   #37
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
What exhaust do you have and do you like it?

Sub model: 1SS

Brand: AWE touring resonated cat back.

Pros: the sound…. Ruckus when I get in but otherwise civilized and low/no drone

Cons: tips don’t seem to have best finish. Not the easiest to clean. Will give tip tonic a try.

Do I like it? No…. Love it. 2nd Best sounding exhaust I’ve owned on a car and I’ve owned a few. Haven’t heard one yet on a v8 Camaro that I like better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:01 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I love my AWE touring exhaust from Phastek.

Here's a great comparison of AWE vs Corsa... my two personal favorites

Old 05-26-2023, 02:43 PM   #39
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy1le View Post
Ill give it a go, but ill give the disclaimer that my car just got built and ive driven it ~30 min but can update as we get to know the car more.

Submodel- SS 1LE, Katech built 427
Brand of Exhaust - Stainless Works Legends series paired with Kooks 2in catted headers.
Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback
Pros - Very Nicely Built, beautiful craftsmanship, didn't experience drone at all when cruising low rpm, loud when you want, tame when and where you want it.
Cons - TBD
Do you like it or not - I love it. Its Fu** all loud when I want it to be but it was tame once engine warmed up. It also retains NPP function. Also has a nice deep tone to it without the raspy/tinny sound you can get from other brands. If it was enough to convince my builder to switch, then its the ultimate compliment lol.
Seriously this is my ultimate SS 1LE Build

Any videos?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:18 PM   #40
blahson
meep meep

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
First Exhaust
  • Submodel (2.0,V6, SS, ZL1) - ZLE / manual
  • Brand of Exhaust - Corsa (14788 & 14789)
  • Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Catback (delete secondary cats)
  • Pros - Sounds like a boat, aggressive, unique (double-x)
  • Cons - Discontinued, expensive, torque loss @<1500 rpm
  • Do you like it or not - I absolutely loved it, it was perfect. Part of me regrets giving it up. Corsa quality is awesome, but their welds suck. Both Xs did not line up correctly and they over-welded the hangers (you can see the welds go into the pipe 0.5 to 1 inch. Maneuvering around a parking lot was aggressive and fun, Top-end sounds stock but louder. With the valves closed, it was barely louder than OEM valves closed. It was the perfect middle-ground. I felt a slight torque loss in the very low-end (800-1500 rpm). Absolutely worth it. There was drone (and loudness) with valves open. Nothing valves closed, no interior exhaust tone, only road noise. No tune. No performance gain. Perfection.

Current Exhaust
  • Submodel (V6, SS, ZL1) - ZLE / Manual
  • Brand of Exhaust - ARH & Corsa
  • Type (Axle or Cat Back) - Full, no cats
  • Parts - ARH 2" headers Long system (no cats), Corsa NPP axle-back
  • Pros - LOUD, stupidly aggressive, ability to close valves
  • Cons - VERY tight fit, expensive, modification needed to mate axle-back
  • Do you like it or not - I really like this exhaust. I stand out at track events, usually one of the loudest cars. It scares people. I think it sounds amazing when valves are open, tone and all. Valves closed is a touch quieter than OEM open valves regarding db levels, but doesn't sound very good, higher-pitched than I was expecting (muffled rattle-can, sorta). Corsa did an amazing job though, little-to-no drone on the highway when closed. Open valves on the highway has drone, but its definitely just more LOUD than actual drone IMO. Tune absolutely required; I drove for about 1 month without a tune, torque loss was insane, instant regret level. My tuner brought it back, now I love it. I still believe my first setup was best, but this provides much better performance.

Tags
#exhaust #phastek