Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Track Event with Stock Brake Fluid

I see where some people have posted on the Camaro Fest NCM thread to make sure to swap in DOT 4 brake fluid before the track event. It looks like the stock fluid has a dry boiling point of 487 degrees (F) which seems to me might be enough to cover an amateur on a track day.
GM DOT3 Brake Fluid.pdf

I understand when the fluid boils it's bad news. I also understand the "better safe than sorry" argument to make a preventative change.

I'm wondering specifically has anyone tried the '17 ZL1 on a track day with the stock brake fluid? If so, did it work out okay?
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Probably applies more to extended autoX or road courses. I've done a few quarter mile passes in a night with no issues (though I didn't inspect the fluid either).

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I drove my 2012 ZL1 out on a track the very first time with OE brake fluid...it was fine. There was some fading and a bit of softness to the pedal at the very end of the day...but obviously, I had just gotten it, and was "new to the scene"...so I wasn't driving very hard.

For GM's media events out at a track, they swap out the brake fluid to something with a boiling point in the 530s, as part of the prep process for those cars. For whatever that's worth to you....
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I drove my 2012 ZL1 out on a track the very first time with OE brake fluid...it was fine. There was some fading and a bit of softness to the pedal at the very end of the day...but obviously, I had just gotten it, and was "new to the scene"...so I wasn't driving very hard.

For GM's media events out at a track, they swap out the brake fluid to something with a boiling point in the 530s, as part of the prep process for those cars. For whatever that's worth to you....

Brake fluid isn't like the motor oil right, in that you don't have to swap it out when you're done with the track?

Had my '10 SS for 7 years and never felt the need to change the brake fluid. Though I was fairly gentle most the time. Maybe I was naive.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Flush with Motul 600 and don't look back...trust me I learned the hard way.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.

Last edited by KaBoom1701; 04-15-2017 at 12:45 PM.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Blown67

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2017 HBM ZL1
I did an autocross with stock fluid and it was fine, but changed to the motul prior to my track day last weekend. Glad I did, even being my first time ever on a road course, I would have certainly boiled the stock fluid. A 6th gen SS out there boiled theirs with stock fluid and missed out on the rest of the day.
Blown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I see where some people have posted on the Camaro Fest NCM thread to make sure to swap in DOT 4 brake fluid before the track event. It looks like the stock fluid has a dry boiling point of 487 degrees (F) which seems to me might be enough to cover an amateur on a track day.
Attachment 865017

I understand when the fluid boils it's bad news. I also understand the "better safe than sorry" argument to make a preventative change.

I'm wondering specifically has anyone tried the '17 ZL1 on a track day with the stock brake fluid? If so, did it work out okay?
Remember, that's the DRY boiling point of new 100% fresh fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water. The longer you go and more heat cycles, the lower the boiling goes. You may never get them hot enough to boil the fluid, but, if you do at the wrong place, you'll regret it.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
Jdzumwalt

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, the comeback
Castrol SRF has a very high wet and dry boiling point very good solution for guys who don't want to flush more than once every year.
Jdzumwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Brake fluid isn't like the motor oil right, in that you don't have to swap it out when you're done with the track?

Had my '10 SS for 7 years and never felt the need to change the brake fluid. Though I was fairly gentle most the time. Maybe I was naive.
You're supposed to change the brake fluid in a street car AT LEAST every 3 years or so. If you look at an older commuter that was never touched except for engine oil...you'll find the brake fluid is dark brown, or even black. This is bad.

As mentioned, brake fluid absorbs moisture over time. And moisture will lower the boiling point of the fluid dramatically...for all intents and purposes, every time you take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir, the boiling point has dropped....

If you never go to the track, or repeatedly apply the brakes hard...then you'll likely never notice.

But it only takes one or two hard sessions to realize the benefit of a great DOT 4+ brake fluid. As you drive faster, or dive further into corners, you will be braking harder to shed that higher speed and this generates a huge amount of heat. It is recommended that you flush the system after a few track days or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdzumwalt View Post
Castrol SRF has a very high wet and dry boiling point very good solution for guys who don't want to flush more than once every year.
Love that stuff...just.....way expensive.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
travislambert

Thanks to everyone who posted feedback. I guess changing the brake fluid is inevitable, so I'll probably end up going with Castrol SRF.

It's still a little strange to me that a car that is marketed as a track capable car comes with DOT 3 brake fluid. I'm guessing the ZL1 1LE will be no different which will be even more strange if that does in fact happen.

Given its wet boiling point, Castrol SRF looks like a great choice for a high-performance OEM fluid. Other than cost is their any downside that might explain why GM uses DOT 3 fluid? By either buying in huge quantities or by having DOW chemical produce a better fluid, I'm sure GM could keep the cost difference within reason.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted feedback. I guess changing the brake fluid is inevitable, so I'll probably end up going with Castrol SRF.

It's still a little strange to me that a car that is marketed as a track capable car comes with DOT 3 brake fluid. I'm guessing the ZL1 1LE will be no different which will be even more strange if that does in fact happen.

Given its wet boiling point, Castrol SRF looks like a great choice for a high-performance OEM fluid. Other than cost is their any downside that might explain why GM uses DOT 3 fluid? By either buying in huge quantities or by having DOW chemical produce a better fluid, I'm sure GM could keep the cost difference within reason.
I would guess it's simply a factor of how the plant is set up to fill everything else with DOT3.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I would guess it's simply a factor of how the plant is set up to fill everything else with DOT3.
Good point. I never understood this as well.

The SRF is just way expensive. It's why I go with the Motul 600. I also flush the clutch fluid with the same stuff.
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Good point. I never understood this as well.

The SRF is just way expensive. It's why I go with the Motul 600. I also flush the clutch fluid with the same stuff.
Did you install the remote reservoir?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
travislambert

Quote:
I suppose, but isn't the Lansing Grand River assembly plant tooled just for the Cadillac ATS/CTS and Camaro right now?

It seems like these vehicles all have the potential to benefit from a higher quality brake fluid. I understand that GM might assume the majority of the cars won't go to the track... but especially in the cases of the ZL1 and CTS-V it'd be nice if the cars were 100% ready anyway. The cars have serious horsepower, massive brakes, optimized airflow, etc.. why stop short with brake fluid? I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it certainly doesn't make sense to me at the moment.