Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
OEM systems/tune compensates for bolt-ons?

I've heard differing stories on this. Never worked with newer GM motors with computers.

Can these newer GM computer systems adjust A/F for CAI and exhaust bolt-ons so they don't run too lean? Is there a general rule limit to A/F tolerance adjustments? (I understand a tune can address more elaborate mods)

Looking at CAI, Shorty's and CAT-back so I can keep the stock dual CATs and sensor locations, hopefully without throwing a check engine warning or running to lean.

I don't want to void engine/powertrain warranty just just yet. My dealer stopped doing FI installs due to warranty issues with owners. I asked about drop-shipping to tuner(ex. Hennesey), but since Hawaii has geographic limitations, my local dealer warranty coverage is conservative for obvious reasons.

Unlike Ford, a friends Shelby got the full FI, suspension, and tune, with a Ford limited warranty from a local dealer. Too bad the new GM doesn't offer that type of service.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
If you get the GMPP (GM Performance Parts) CAI, Shorty Headers and CAT Back exhaust and your dealer installs them your warranty stays intact.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The GMPP parts are $$$ and not worth it. I've done Borla cat backs and high-flow CATs(Random Technology) on other non-GM cars and dealer just voids exhaust warranty, not entire powertrain.

Sometimes, they get picky on over-oiled filters and MAF sensors issues, but wash and re-oil new filters that usually come drenched. Hoping CAIs have AEM substitute or some other type of dry filter.

I'm not sure when GM gets involved with dealer warranty work since my last GM car was in the 80s. I'd like to wait a year or so to break-in the car before I say... hell with the warranty and do FI. Figure most QC problems will be addressed by then.

Looking at DT Shorty, MBRP 3" CAT-back, CAI, and shifter.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
gpr

Drives: never fast enough
I'm also a newbie at tuning newer GM vehicles. However from my limited time messing with them from what i see the narrow band oxygen sensors will adjust your a/f for mods or whatever while cruising. however the system goes into open lope when you go WOT and thus relies on the maf and map sensors to adjust the stock tune for the added air flow. it will be close but won't be perfect, thus where a tune on your car will help increase power.
gpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yep. But, if you add that tune, your warranty will be null and void in a heartbeat.

Intake and exhaust shouldn't be an issue with running lean...from what I'm told. I plan on doing a tune after the warranty runs out. That's about it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #6
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
tag, you are running the stock tune right? How is it running....

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
PERFECTLY...

...and BOY is it FAST!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #8
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yep. But, if you add that tune, your warranty will be null and void in a heartbeat.

Intake and exhaust shouldn't be an issue with running lean...from what I'm told. I plan on doing a tune after the warranty runs out. That's about it.
Tag, I thought you had full headers, catback, and cold air? Didn't you already get a tune to get rid of the check engine light? Or did the computer just recalibrate itself?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Ha I guess I didn't read ahead lol