Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Tips for Long-Term ownership

So I was able to get my hands on a 1SS 1LE that someone backed out of a few days ago. I do plan to keep this car for many, many years as we all know the days of V8 Manuals, and the Camaro especially, are numbered.

With that being said, I'd like some feedback on my current plans to help the longevity of the car.

The car has the Mishimoto oil catch can coming, and the car was just dropped off at the shop for front end PPF. Once I get it back, I'm polishing the rest of the car and coating it with graphene. Still up in the air about whether or not I should get PPF for the roof. Any of you guys have rock chips on your roofs?

I'm going to change the oil and filter at 500 miles, and the diff oil for the eLSD at 1500.

After that, probably oil changes every 5k miles, and the eLSD diff oil maybe once every two years or so. It's a street car and for spirited driving on the weekends once in a while. Basic maintenance will mostly be done at my home on race ramp cribs.

Am I missing any other maintenance items I should be proactive on?

Also thinking about getting the max length warranty once I figure out my actual mileage usage. How's the reliability of the entire platform and the 1LE trim, is it pretty much bullet proof?

Seems like the $1485 for an 8yr/56k/0 deductible quote I got from one of the well known warranty dealers is a bargain.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
So I was able to get my hands on a 1SS 1LE that someone backed out of a few days ago. I do plan to keep this car for many, many years as we all know the days of V8 Manuals, and the Camaro especially, are numbered.

With that being said, I'd like some feedback on my current plans to help the longevity of the car.

The car has the Mishimoto oil catch can coming, and the car was just dropped off at the shop for front end PPF. Once I get it back, I'm polishing the rest of the car and coating it with graphene. Still up in the air about whether or not I should get PPF for the roof. Any of you guys have rock chips on your roofs?

I'm going to change the oil and filter at 500 miles, and the diff oil for the eLSD at 1500.

After that, probably oil changes every 5k miles, and the eLSD diff oil maybe once every two years or so. It's a street car and for spirited driving on the weekends once in a while. Basic maintenance will mostly be done at my home on race ramp cribs.

Am I missing any other maintenance items I should be proactive on?

Also thinking about getting the max length warranty once I figure out my actual mileage usage. How's the reliability of the entire platform and the 1LE trim, is it pretty much bullet proof?

Seems like the $1485 for an 8yr/56k/0 deductible quote I got from one of the well known warranty dealers is a bargain.
I'd be careful with the catch can addition. Some dealers look past it and some can use that as an "excuse" and void your warranty. Also those won't pass smog here in our great state so be sure to remove it before taking it in for either smog or warranty issues. Just my .02 and congrats on the car.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #3
Pokey427

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette
I bought mine for the same reason - window of opportunity to own a V8 with manual trans is closing quickly, and I also intend long term ownership. Unless you intend for this to be your daily driver, I would suggest a battery tender. I use them on several of my vehicles and equipment, and have had very good luck with long battery life. Congrats on the car, sounds nice.
Pokey427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive had my car 6 years and almost 35k miles no major issues just oil change brake fluid change rear diff fluid and tranny fluid changes. just did full brakes last month and gone throw tons of tires and upgraded

only warranty issue i had was steering wheel emblem replaced and belt tensioner other than that been pretty rock solid
Old 08-15-2022, 02:44 PM   #5
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
A catch can will not void your warranty, just tell them if the original design of the car wasn't Direct Injection a catch can wouldn't be necessary.

And if that doesn't work quote the Magnusson-Moss Act to them.

And I'm not sure a catch can effects EPA at all. Since EPA testing is all about your exhaust.

Unless you live in Cali, than it wouldn't surprise me.
The EPA requires PCV system and Evap system to function and they are usually tested/checked. (I know Evap throws codes). And, catch can depends on the dealer.

You can quote the Magnusson-Moss Act to them until your blue in the face. If they say no, you'll have to get a lawyer to get them to say yes. Doesn't matter if you're 100% right or not.

Just food for thought...
Old 08-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Camby

Drives: 2023/2SS/1LE/RadiantRed/A10
I wouldn’t suggest being so rude to employees and I wouldn’t ask for warranty engine work with a catch-can attached.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #7
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
The EPA requires PCV system and Evap system to function and they are usually tested/checked. (I know Evap throws codes). And, catch can depends on the dealer.

You can quote the Magnusson-Moss Act to them until your blue in the face. If they say no, you'll have to get a lawyer to get them to say yes. Doesn't matter if you're 100% right or not.

Just food for thought...
Fair enough

Probably best to avoid the issue then.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
Camden45

Definitely don't want to give the dealership any reason to deny warranty. Most of the basic maintenance will be done at home, but I will probably keep the stock PCV tubes+basic tools to remove the catch can if I have a sudden unexpected need to go to the dealer, i.e. broke down on the side of the road. I did the same for my last vehicle.

Agreed with the Magnusson moss act, they can just give you a reasonable response and it's an uphill battle for you from then on.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #9
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
There is really nothing special to do to them. Change the fluids when they need to be changed and replace wore out parts before they cause issues and it will last a time. How it is stored will be the biggest factor of how long it will last.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #10
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Nothing special. Do the maintenance when it's required, otherwise drive it and enjoy it. It's and auto, not different then any other auto. Take care of it and it will last.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I'm at 49,900+ in my 1SS, 1LE, as other's have said multiple sets of tires. Still original brakes, nothing done other than standard maintenance. I have no catch can and I agree that having one could potentially cause warranty issues. I might go with the paint protection, but my experience is that modern paint jobs leave a lot to be desired so you're going to get chips no matter what you do. If mine gets to the point where it bothers me I'll pay the bucks to get a nice paint job to replace the factory.

I'm not sure if that extended warranty is a bargain or not. If I had purchased one I would have yet to claim against it and there would only be about 6,000 miles left on it.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #12
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
There is really nothing special to do to them. Change the fluids when they need to be changed and replace wore out parts before they cause issues and it will last a time. How it is stored will be the biggest factor of how long it will last.
Lives in the garage when it's not being driven.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #13
Camden45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I'm at 49,900+ in my 1SS, 1LE, as other's have said multiple sets of tires. Still original brakes, nothing done other than standard maintenance. I have no catch can and I agree that having one could potentially cause warranty issues. I might go with the paint protection, but my experience is that modern paint jobs leave a lot to be desired so you're going to get chips no matter what you do. If mine gets to the point where it bothers me I'll pay the bucks to get a nice paint job to replace the factory.

I'm not sure if that extended warranty is a bargain or not. If I had purchased one I would have yet to claim against it and there would only be about 6,000 miles left on it.
Any issues with build up on the intake valves due to no catch can?
Old 08-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #14
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Any issues with build up on the intake valves due to no catch can?
I haven't torn it down, so I can't say for sure, but I've burnt zero oil since I purchased it and it runs fine!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote