Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
Tone2SS

Drives: 10 2SS Ls3,17 2SS FIFTY,20 2SS 1LE
is she about to blow?

hello all. i know im the 1,000,000 person to ask about oil pressure on this fourm and i dont even know if this is the right place to ask but im really uneasy about my oil pressure. i picked up a 2020 camaro ss last week. like any anyone else that gets a new toy ive been “enjoying it”. i did a 2nd gear pull a hour ago and noticed my oil pressure was a little too low for me. during the pull it saw 40-42psi and after i let off it went to 50psi. i don’t see any metal in the oil but i feel like 40ish psi isn’t enough pressure at 6000rpm. is the sensor lagging? or do i actually have a serious problem?
Old 12-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
"She's gone from suck, to blow!" - tell me you know what movie this quote is from.

Even if you don't, here's the answer to your question. This info is based on what has been published about how the LT1 engine oil pump works and the data I've recorded from my PDR driving on the track:

The G6 Camaro runs on a lower oil pressure level than you might be expecting. As RPMs climb, the oil pressure gradually rises commensurately, but even in the lower half of the 5000 rpm range, oil pressure is still in the 40s, probably the mid to upper 40s. The engine also has a 2 stage oil pump, where the "high pressure" stage kicks in at ~5,800 RPM and boosts PSI by about 10, into the mid 50s. This is to protect the engine from sustained high RPM on the track.

Now you might be thinking, "all the pressures I saw in my Camaro are a bit lower than the PSIs you described." To that, I'd say the oil pressure increases lag slightly behind the RPM increase. Doing a pull (and then immediately cutting the throttle) isn't a good way to monitor oil pressure as the PSI values are changing too quickly to register accurately on the DIC display in the dash. And, the 10PSI boost would be occurring right about the time you are lifting off the throttle, so there would be a momentary 10 PSI spike, but probably wouldn't register on the gauge. If you want to see actual PSI values, drive the car at a specific RPM (4,500; 5,500; 6,000; etc) for several seconds in row.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
Tone2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
"She's gone from suck, to blow!" - tell me you know what movie this quote is from.

Even if you don't, here's the answer to your question. This info is based on what has been published about how the LT1 engine oil pump works and the data I've recorded from my PDR driving on the track:

The G6 Camaro runs on a lower oil pressure level than you might be expecting. As RPMs climb, the oil pressure gradually rises commensurately, but even in the lower half of the 5000 rpm range, oil pressure is still in the 40s, probably the mid to upper 40s. The engine also has a 2 stage oil pump, where the "high pressure" stage kicks in at ~5,800 RPM and boosts PSI by about 10, into the mid 50s. This is to protect the engine from sustained high RPM on the track.

Now you might be thinking, "all the pressures I saw in my Camaro are a bit lower than the PSIs you described." To that, I'd say the oil pressure increases lag slightly behind the RPM increase. Doing a pull (and then immediately cutting the throttle) isn't a good way to monitor oil pressure as the PSI values are changing too quickly to register accurately on the DIC display in the dash. And, the 10PSI boost would be occurring right about the time you are lifting off the throttle, so there would be a momentary 10 PSI spike, but probably wouldn't register on the gauge. If you want to see actual PSI values, drive the car at a specific RPM (4,500; 5,500; 6,000; etc) for several seconds in row.
“it’s mega maid sir”. well that definitely clears up my suspicion of the oil pressure! thank you sir! but i called out of work today to change the oil in my car and well…….. it’s almost got more metal that oil. sounds like she’s going to the dealer for a new motor :(. also is your car a red hot 2ss 1le?
Old 12-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #4
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone2SS View Post
“it’s mega maid sir”. well that definitely clears up my suspicion of the oil pressure! thank you sir! but i called out of work today to change the oil in my car and well…….. it’s almost got more metal that oil. sounds like she’s going to the dealer for a new motor :(. also is your car a red hot 2ss 1le?
Yep, Red Hot, as shown in my avatar. Sorry to hear about the metal fragments (presumably in your filter). Hope the dealer experience goes well.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
Tone2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Yep, Red Hot, as shown in my avatar. Sorry to hear about the metal fragments (presumably in your filter). Hope the dealer experience goes well.
hey we’re twins!! metal in the oil and in the filter. the metal isn’t magnetic so it’s definitely bering material. hopefully they don’t try to screw me because i have a cold air intake.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:55 PM   #6
N Camarolina

Having gone through a G6 engine replacement myself, and not everything going smoothly, I'd make the following suggestions to you:

1) If you are not intimately familiar with what the underside of car details look like and the engine bay, take pictures. You'll want to compare these to the "after" images.

2) After they replace the engine, go over the entire engine bay and underside with a fine tooth comb. In their rush to save time ($), the techs rush and cut corners. Wiring harnesses were not reattached correctly (tie straps), brakets holding the cooling lines were out of place, screws (undertray, front facia to frame) were missing, bolts were missing (header to pre-cat pipe).
Old 12-08-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone2SS View Post
You determined this how?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #8
Tone2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
You determined this how?
i drained my oil and it looked like someone dumped glitter in in my engine.i also cut open my oil filter and they’re were huge flakes in the filter.