Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Angry Dealership Failed Transmission!

Back in July of this year I brought my 2016 Camaro SS into a dealership for an unusual noise. The dealership ended up doing $5,000 worth of replacements/repairs on the vehicle, but the issue continued.

I kept driving on it but as it got louder I brought it back to the dealer September 1st. On a test drive the service advisor noticed the noise and said "well it doesn't sound dangerous at least". They claimed they used Loctite on a bolt on the driveshaft center support bearing and the issue resolved for about a week.

A week later, the noise returned. Because the service advisor told me that the noise wasn't to be worried about I kept driving on it. Eventually I started to hear grinding/slipping in the trans, fluid leaking underneath the car, and bad burning odors.

Upon returning to the dealership, they found that the transmission had fully failed and a few other issues like a cylinder block needed replaced. Mind you my Camaro has the A8 and 100,000 miles. I baby it.

After spending $10,000 more on a new transmission I picked the car up and drove it normally. After about 2 days the noise came back. Upon returning to the dealership I was told by the service advisor and the mechanic said a cracked driveshaft center support bearing was noticed and the service advisor never told me about it.

What do I do?

TLDR: I had to buy a new transmission because a driveshaft center support bearing was faulty and the dealership didn't notice or fix it. I then drove the car with the brand new transmission with a faulty driveshaft center support bearing causing the driveshaft to 'jump-rope'. What do I do and is the new transmission already damaged from this?
PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #2
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Unfortunately I doubt there is much you CAN do. If your lucky the transmission came with a warranty (I just did one for my wifes Cruse and it has a 36k/3yr warranty frum the trans shop) and/or you could try taking the dealer to small claims court if they aren't in a mood to cut you a deal for their mistake(s).

Shit like this is EXACTLY why I quit using my local dealer for repairs, on my 2010 Camaro where I had a very slow coolant leak (no dripping to the pavement, just something they could see from below during an oil change and multi point inspection then I ran low one winter) so I paid for them to "diagnose" it one Sat (I work Mon-Fir so Sat is the only/best time to schedule maintenace/repairs), set up an appointment for repair the following Sat once the parts came in only to be told the technician who did the "diagnosis" also HAD to be the one who did the repair and it would be a month and a half before he worked a Sat shift then played rental car availability games with them for a few days. Once that had finally been "fixed" my next oil change once again showed leaking coolant.

On top of that my wife was having exhaust in the cabin issues and they just kept telling her she was smelling others exhaust.

Finally gave up and found a shop that isn't a dealership and treats us right (not every repair has been flawless but they have always cut us a deep discount or fixed the issue for free.) New shop diagnosed the coolant leak as the pump and said I could replace it now or just watch the level and do it when it got worse (survived another 3 years before the car was totaled) and the wife's exhaust issue was delt with then when it came back just under a year later they fixed it no charge and said the replacement part failed so they recoupe most of the cost from the part manufacturer.

All that to say, once your out of warranty never use a dealership for repairs again, for regular maintance find a good shop. If you don't know of one ask your friends and coworkers, someone will know one that isn't a thieving shit hole.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote