Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-21-2023, 06:56 PM   #1
dward13

Drives: 2017 Camaro zl1
Help Please - Remote Start Failure

Hi everybody,

My cars remote start randomly went out. I've checked everything from the battery, to changing the batteries in both fobs. I've done most of the typical fixes I read about, I have no code on the dash, nothing that I can that would indicate an issue, I've made sure the hood is closed, etc.

When I click the lock button, car locks. When I go to do the remote start, I double tap the start button and the car doesn't do anything. Doesn't even attempt to turn over. No clicks in the engine, not lights flash on the rear. Just nothing. Curious on if anybody has opinions on this.

This issue happened after I swapped out my sidemarkers. It was weird because I replaced them, started the car to ensure they were working. About a week later, the remote start stopped working. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
dward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:19 PM   #2
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Hello,

Doesn't one have to actually *hold* the start button, until it starts? That's how it works with mine, which admittedly is not a ZL1 and is a year older.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 11:13 PM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dward13 View Post
Hi everybody,

My cars remote start randomly went out. I've checked everything from the battery, to changing the batteries in both fobs. I've done most of the typical fixes I read about, I have no code on the dash, nothing that I can that would indicate an issue, I've made sure the hood is closed, etc.

When I click the lock button, car locks. When I go to do the remote start, I double tap the start button and the car doesn't do anything. Doesn't even attempt to turn over. No clicks in the engine, not lights flash on the rear. Just nothing. Curious on if anybody has opinions on this.

This issue happened after I swapped out my sidemarkers. It was weird because I replaced them, started the car to ensure they were working. About a week later, the remote start stopped working. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Have you tried remote starting the car from the app? The reason why I ask is to just give you another avenue to see if it will remote start. It's possible that the issue is the key fob, or it could be that there is something on the car itself.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Doesn't one have to actually *hold* the start button, until it starts? That's how it works with mine, which admittedly is not a ZL1 and is a year older.
This sounds like it may be the issue, unless the reference to a double tap was just a typo in the description of the problem. Double tap is for the trunk button, but the remote start button gets held down (worked this way for both my '16 and '21).
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
I double tap the start button and the car doesn't do anything.
Yeah, you gotta RTFM
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:05 AM   #6
dward13

Hey fam, apologies on the late reply. I didn’t realize I don’t get notifications for posts. I’ve just normally done a double lock, double tap w/ maybe a small hold on the remote start and it starts. For some reason that process no longer works. Will check suggestions and report back.

I tried using the app, but it doesn’t work without an onstar subscription.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:10 AM   #7
dward13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yeah, you gotta RTFM
Had to google what “RTFM” means. Seems we’re just turning anything into an acronym these days.

To provide some more context, I’ve had the car for almost a year. Never had any issues and have remote started it tons of times. This just randomly happened and stopped working. Better context for you or AITA?
Old 10-23-2023, 07:36 AM   #8
EvenStephen222

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Mine I have to Hit the lock button once and then hold the start button for 3-4 seconds.
EvenStephen222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Mine is intermittent from inside the house, sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't and all the conditions are the same.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:10 AM   #10
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Remote Start inhibit

Even though the FOB is sealed the contacts and buttons can get sticky causing intermittent operation. In your case I'm wondering if the buttion was "sticky" enough to see the double tap as a single long press. Maybe the temperature has changed or the debris has moved enough to now register the double tap as a double tap. Did you confirm that when operating the remote start per the manual, that it actually works?

other RS inhibitors are Oil Life monitor percentage, oil pressue, unlatched hood, too many concecutive remote starts (you get only 2), vehicle not in Park (gm has had issues with the selector sensor), the "spare" FOB is in the vehicle. I'm sure there are others and all of these may not apply. Some of thes may not provide direct feedback to the operator that they are inhibiting Remote start.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:36 AM   #11
dward13

Put a fresh battery in my primary fob. 1 tap of the lock button, 1 tap & hold of the push start button, fired right up. Not sure what was going on. Like I said I've had the car for almost a year and never had any issues with the remote start until now. Nonetheless, I appreciate everybodys help and input
Old 10-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Put a fresh battery in my primary fob. 1 tap of the lock button, 1 tap & hold of the push start button, fired right up. Not sure what was going on. Like I said I've had the car for almost a year and never had any issues with the remote start until now. Nonetheless, I appreciate everybodys help and input
The fobs on my 2016 dies about a year ago. You were due for batteries is all! Right on time!

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #13
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Mine wouldn't start standing right next to it this morning. Other times I can be inside and upstairs and it hits. Car is in park. The only variable I could possibly see is the eBrake on or off.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:03 AM   #14
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStephen222 View Post
Mine I have to Hit the lock button once and then hold the start button for 3-4 seconds.
^
This

The sequence for most remote starters is hit lock, then start with a long hold. I have noticed If you’ve moved the car, for example pull it out of the garage and shut it off without driving it sometimes it will not remote start until it senses you’ve travelled a distance, some sort of a reset I guess. The same thing applies with my truck
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote