Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-31-2023, 06:09 AM   #1
FishyMacaroon6

Drives: '16 2SS A8
Wireless Charging Pad

Recently purchased a '16 2SS that has the wireless charging pad behind the center console. I would very much like to take advantage of this feature, but I've discovered that my phone is around a half inch too tall to lay flat on the pad due to the little protrusions that I assume are meant to keep smaller phones secure. Anyone find/make a fix for this?
FishyMacaroon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
There are some solutions inside the forum:

1.Getting rid of the rubber pad inside the charging bay
2.Cutting of the edges of the rubber pad
3.Buying the 2nd generation wireless charger from GM --> part price around 100 USD

4.Buying a dedicated wireless charger and put in on top of the wireless charging bay

Try solution 1. If this does not work, you don't need solution 2.

For solution 3, you can google the official compatibility list of the wireless charger.

I personally had the same problem and bough a dedicated charger. I bought the ESR wireless charger with cooling fan. As I use Android Auto wireless, the phone's battery consumption is pretty high. With wireless charging you will get very high battery temperatures, which will kill your smartphone battery pretty fast.

Therefore I went with the cooled wireless charger. I made a hole inside my phone case and added a magnetic ring so that the phone sits really tight when being charged.

Please find my solution here:

https://www.camaro2010.de/t18319f158...html#msg674966
(I hope it is ok to add the links of the german Camaro forum over here)

Last edited by SOFO; 05-31-2023 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Link added
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:01 AM   #3
cheeze9878

Drives: 17 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
There are some solutions inside the forum:

1.Getting rid of the rubber pad inside the charging bay
2.Cutting of the edges of the rubber pad
3.Buying the 2nd generation wireless charger from GM --> part price around 100 USD

4.Buying a dedicated wireless charger and put in on top of the wireless charging bay

Try solution 1. If this does not work, you don't need solution 2.

For solution 3, you can google the official compatibility list of the wireless charger.

I personally had the same problem and bough a dedicated charger. I bought the ESR wireless charger with cooling fan. As I use Android Auto wireless, the phone's battery consumption is pretty high. With wireless charging you will get very high battery temperatures, which will kill your smartphone battery pretty fast.

Therefore I went with the cooled wireless charger. I made a hole inside my phone case and added a magnetic ring so that the phone sits really tight when being charged.

Please find my solution here:

https://www.camaro2010.de/t18319f158...html#msg674966
(I hope it is ok to add the links of the german Camaro forum over here)

You link is gone. They must have taken it down.
cheeze9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:23 AM   #4
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
I added my pictures in this thread.
Attached Images

SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:19 AM   #5
Mando895

Drives: Hyper Blue Metallic 2017 Camaro 2SS
Since you have a 2016, there is another issue with the wireless charging pad. For some reason, the Chevy engineers designed this pad to very specifically fit a Samsung (I think) phone from ~2015. The problem is that both phone and wireless charging technology has changed a lot since then. The first issue is the one you described: phones are bigger than ever (most won't even fit on the pad). The second issue is less apparent. The original wireless charging pad used an older standard that has less electrical coils than modern devices require. Sometime around the 2018-2019 model years, GM changed the wireless charging system from "GEN I" to "GEN II". For those of us with older cars, GM made an upgrade kit (see TSB 18-NA-153). I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, so there is no way that I can fit my phone in the tiny space Chevy gave us. However since CarPlay requires my phone to be plugged in, I never feel like I'm missing out. The space is also very inconvenient to reach with the stock SS seats, and I can only imagine how difficult it is with the Recaros. All that being said, I do use the wireless charging pad from time to time to charge my AirPods. Even with spirited driving, the rubber mat seems to do a good job at holding them in place. I hope this helps!

Also Own:
- 2004 Lexus RX330

Mando895 is offline   Reply With Quote