Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 10-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
AndrewSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Exclamation Car running super rough! Help!

I have a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE m6 and I just did a head gasket replacement and got both of the heads machined. I also got all new spark plugs and wires, and all new injectors. As I did that I also installed speed engineering long tubes and x pipe. And now the problem is that the car is shaking super violently and feels like it’s about to stall off it’s throwing over 13 codes and I don’t know what to do. Should I unplug the rear o2 sensors? Or plug them in and just tie them up.
Thanks!
AndrewSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
First check for a vacuum leak and for any loose wires/connectors. Second take the car to a tuner. The changes you’ve made will require a tune to get everything right. Did you have the heads milled? If so you have increased the engine compression unless you used a thicker head gasket - another reason to get it tuned.

Also if you milled the heads and used a factory head gasket you may need to check the piston to valve clearance. I don’t know how tight the PTV clearance is on a stock setup. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in. Good luck and keep us posted.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
jlaudio11

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSS View Post
I have a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE m6 and I just did a head gasket replacement and got both of the heads machined. I also got all new spark plugs and wires, and all new injectors. As I did that I also installed speed engineering long tubes and x pipe. And now the problem is that the car is shaking super violently and feels like it’s about to stall off it’s throwing over 13 codes and I don’t know what to do. Should I unplug the rear o2 sensors? Or plug them in and just tie them up.
Thanks!
First thing I would do is clear the codes and see what comes back. Disconnecting the maf sensor and who knows what else while powered can throw faults. I would also be doubling checking your connections, injectors, coils, plug wires, map sensor on the intake, make sure you have the brake booster vacuum line back in the intake correctly. Basically go back over everything you touched looking for loose connections. Then scan it again, share what faults you have and it might give us a better idea in which direction to point you. Headers will benefit from a tune, but a light deck of the heads and headers with no other changes will start and run ok on the stock tune. If it's shaking, barely staying running, that wont be fixed by a tune.
'94 Camaro Z28 6mt cc306 cam, 4:10's, longtubes with x pipe, getting an engine rebuild
jlaudio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:38 PM   #4
AndrewSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudio11 View Post
First thing I would do is clear the codes and see what comes back. Disconnecting the maf sensor and who knows what else while powered can throw faults. I would also be doubling checking your connections, injectors, coils, plug wires, map sensor on the intake, make sure you have the brake booster vacuum line back in the intake correctly. Basically go back over everything you touched looking for loose connections. Then scan it again, share what faults you have and it might give us a better idea in which direction to point you. Headers will benefit from a tune, but a light deck of the heads and headers with no other changes will start and run ok on the stock tune. If it's shaking, barely staying running, that wont be fixed by a tune.
Thanks for the response I’ve swapped coils and checked the wires I’ve looked through all the vacuum hoses. To my knowledge they all look great no leaks. I’ve attached a screenshot of all the faults.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:41 PM   #5
AndrewSS

Old 11-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
First check for a vacuum leak...
Yes.
Also, post the codes you are getting. all of them.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:04 AM   #7
AndrewSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Yes.
Also, post the codes you are getting. all of them.
P0056, P0057, P0158,P0161, P0300, P0353, P0351, P0355, P0357
Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSS View Post
P0056, P0057, P0158,P0161, P0300, P0353, P0351, P0355, P0357
The first four codes are O2 sensor codes, and it sounds like the car is running rich, based on high O2 sensor voltage.
P0300 is random misfire, which means the ECU can't even localize the problem.
The last four are coil codes.
I think the random misfire and coil codes are related.

My guesses:
The rich condition may be due to new injectors, which I assume are larger. This may be corrected with a tune, or you could try reinstalling the old injectors to see what clears.
The random misfire and coil codes may be related to new spark plug wires and their internal resistance (or lack of resistance).

Short of going to a tuner, I would try reverting to old injectors and plug wires. See what clears up.
Also, be careful of running super-rich. You don't want to gas wash the oil off your cylinder walls.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Oh oh. Are all the wires plugged into the right plugs?

I know how to sort this out for cars from the stone age (rotor in mechanical distributor), but what to do now?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long tube, rough idle