Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-28-2023, 06:35 PM   #1
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Noisy Injectors, Lifter Tick or Something Else?

Hi all, I hope I am not imagining things and that my 2SS 1LE is operating as normal. It has about 450 miles so far and I am noticing a ticking sound from the cabin with windows up and radio off.

At idle, engine sounds normal to me with what I presume to be just normal fuel injector ticking noises. However, as I get above 1500 rpm, the ticking increases to where I can faintly hear it from the cabin with radio off and windows up.

I decided to record it to hear others thoughts before wasting time taking it to the dealer. I strapped a recording device to the indicated cross beam on the driver’s side in the picture. I performed a short 2 min test drive after the engine was warm. The audio clip is a roughly 2 min drive from a parking lot to a traffic light hitting about 45 mph.

I think it actually sounds a bit like this Youtube video but I have the M6 so no AFM.

I am not new to the GM 6.2 as I own a Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2 that is pretty quiet and has been robust since day one.

Is that ticking noise normal for the LT1 or is it cause for concern? Thanks.

Youtube Video Link For Noise
Attached Images

Last edited by weekend_cruiser; 06-01-2023 at 08:28 AM.
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
weekend_cruiser

Any thoughts or opinions from anyone?

Updated with Youtube video link for the noise.

Last edited by weekend_cruiser; 06-01-2023 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #3
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
I'm not a mechanic, but I don't hear lifters, I just hear our noisy engines. I think the ticking would be much more pronounced if this was the issue. You are still in the break-in period, I would continue with the procedure to break-in then if that noise is still an issue for you, then the warranty is there for that.
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:50 PM   #4
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2022cs View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but I don't hear lifters, I just hear our noisy engines. I think the ticking would be much more pronounced if this was the issue. You are still in the break-in period, I would continue with the procedure to break-in then if that noise is still an issue for you, then the warranty is there for that.
Thanks for having a listen. That sounds good. Hopefully I can meet up with someone locally with an SS to see if they all sound the same.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #5
dagarber

Drives: 2021 Ford Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Thanks for having a listen. That sounds good. Hopefully I can meet up with someone locally with an SS to see if they all sound the same.
Reviving an older thread. It sounds more like a click than it does a tap/metallic rattle. My 18 SS 1LE makes the same exact sound but I chalked it up to it being the high pressure fuel pump. When you’re driving, take it up to like 4500 rpm then let off the throttle, apply some more throttle on and off. You’ll probably be able to hear the click get quieter/louder. I don’t think any tick or knock would do that
dagarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:30 PM   #6
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagarber View Post
Reviving an older thread. It sounds more like a click than it does a tap/metallic rattle. My 18 SS 1LE makes the same exact sound but I chalked it up to it being the high pressure fuel pump. When you’re driving, take it up to like 4500 rpm then let off the throttle, apply some more throttle on and off. You’ll probably be able to hear the click get quieter/louder. I don’t think any tick or knock would do that
Hi friend, thanks for chiming in. I had forgotten about this thread and also forgot to provide an update . I had the dealer tech look at this when I took the car in to have the MRC replaced. The tech heard the noise and he seemed fairly confident it was just the noisy injectors. He mentioned a lifter tick would have been much louder. I have gotten used to it and learned to tune it out. As long as the engine doesn't fail, I'm good .
Old 10-30-2023, 11:41 PM   #7
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Hi weekend_cruiser:

Holy smokes, if you assure me those are 8 cylinders, it sounds like two VW beetle flat 4 engines under one hood to me!

Hmm, I would never think to put a mic under the hood like that. I will just say that my 2008 BMW M3 V8 would sound like a bucket of bolts for the first few minutes of a cold start, then it would smooth out. It had an 8,400 RPM redline - with the convertible top down and the intake noise from the hood scoop, that was a treat!
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote