Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #141
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Awesome pix! The car looks like a star, LF off the ground and all Awesome to hear you liked the stock shoes!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #142
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I posted this in the tire thread that got moved, so for 1LE owners who don't venture out of this section here it is below:

I took the car out this weekend in show room condition (minus different brake fluid and alignment) just to see where it was at. This car is so incredible in factory form and the tires surpassed my expectations for a street tire. They will be good to go for 95% of owners.

Below is some data from this weekend at Thunderhill West, a relatively short 2 mile course in Northern California. Ambient temps were around 60-70*.

Alignment:
F: -2.4* Camber, 1/16th toe out
R: -1.6* camber, 1/16th toe in

TEMPS after 3rd session:

LF: 156/158/160 RF: 160/161/167
LR: 159/162/162 RR: 158/165/173

Pressures after 3rd session:
LF: 37 RF: 39
LR: 37 RR:38

So you can see that this track is much harder on the right side tires. Towards the end of the day the tires got a little greasy, mid corner and corner exit push increased a lot. You can see by the temps that the car could actually use a bit more camber (you want the middle of the tire to be the hottest), at least at this specific track. Tire pressures were also increasing throughout the day, despite starting at 28 cold. It appears that the tires work better in the 36 range, but don't quote me on that.

I haven't checked tire wear with a gauge, but I noticed the outside of the tire seemed worked, which would make sense looking at the tire temps. I may see if I can get a bit more camber, and also play with temps a bit. Overall really impressed with the car and tires, they will support most owners.

I would highly suggest everyone check their alignment, even if they plan on leaving the factory street specs. My car along with other owners on here have had a factory alignment that was a bit off. I had mix matched camber and toe.

Agreed on alignment, mine from the factory wasn't in spec... plus mine walked considerably after my first track event. It is holding better now.

I'm actually impressed you were able to get -2.4 front, I maxed out @ -2.2 and it really needs more in the -3 range to wear the tires equally accross the tread.

A side note, after discussions with Ground Control and Vorshlag... it sounds like camber plates for the OE 1LE springs isn't going to happen. The design of the Alpha platform strut tower means a camber plate to work with the OE diameter springs would mean ride height would be considerably increased... obviously no-one wants that. The only camber plate option they will offer is for coilovers, which most of us (me included) have no interest in given how great MRC is for the road and track. I'm exploring other ways to get more front camber.

With regard to tire pressures, if the car is getting worked hard cold pressures need to be closer to 26psi, but you need to carefully work heat into them to build pressures up. If you just go out and lap 2 start leaning on the car hard, it will shread the shoulder (again, more camber would help this).

Also... Great pics!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #143
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post

Alignment:
F: -2.4* Camber, 1/16th toe out
R: -1.6* camber, 1/16th toe in

TEMPS after 3rd session:

LF: 156/158/160 RF: 160/161/167
LR: 159/162/162 RR: 158/165/173

Pressures after 3rd session:
LF: 37 RF: 39
LR: 37 RR:38

Thanks for sharing. Great shot!

One question: what direction are your tire temps going, as in which is inside and which is outside?

I found that 37 psi hot is about the limit for these tires, and agree they get greasy when they get too hot, though I didn't pyrometer like you did. I agree with Provoste, something like a 26-27 psi cold depending on ambient and how hard you're pushing is a good starting point.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #144
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
The temps are written Inner -> outer for all numbers. Thanks for clarifying that, I had to go back and study my paper to see which way it was written ha.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #145
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Agreed on alignment, mine from the factory wasn't in spec... plus mine walked considerably after my first track event. It is holding better now.

I'm actually impressed you were able to get -2.4 front, I maxed out @ -2.2 and it really needs more in the -3 range to wear the tires equally accross the tread.

A side note, after discussions with Ground Control and Vorshlag... it sounds like camber plates for the OE 1LE springs isn't going to happen. The design of the Alpha platform strut tower means a camber plate to work with the OE diameter springs would mean ride height would be considerably increased... obviously no-one wants that. The only camber plate option they will offer is for coilovers, which most of us (me included) have no interest in given how great MRC is for the road and track. I'm exploring other ways to get more front camber.

With regard to tire pressures, if the car is getting worked hard cold pressures need to be closer to 26psi, but you need to carefully work heat into them to build pressures up. If you just go out and lap 2 start leaning on the car hard, it will shread the shoulder (again, more camber would help this).

Also... Great pics!
Hmm, it's interesting your are maxed out at -2.2 s.

I also tried 28 cold PSI on both setup then I backed downed to 27psi. I am a bit skeptical about running 26PSI cold on our cars since I saw that it gave TPMS issue on the previous gen 1LE with Cup 2 tires (just one of the issues he had with Cup2s). It may not be the case for different tires though since Cup2s might have a bit softer sidewalls than most (maybe the reason why they weigh slightly less than the others)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #146
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Hmm, it's interesting your are maxed out at -2.2 s.

I also tried 28 cold PSI on both setup then I backed downed to 27psi. I am a bit skeptical about running 26PSI cold on our cars since I saw that it gave TPMS issue on the previous gen 1LE with Cup 2 tires (just one of the issues he had with Cup2s). It may not be the case for different tires though since Cup2s might have a bit softer sidewalls than most (maybe the reason why they weigh slightly less than the others)
No TPMS issues starting at 26. I hate cutting sessions short because of tires getting ballooned out to 39. 26 is usually only the first session of the day anyways... once there is heat in the wheel/tire, I'm rarely seeing 26 ever again intraday. I prefer to fine tune pressure intraday while tires/pressures are hot.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #147
aai

Drives: '17 SS/1LE/PDR
just caught it on youtube, sorry if its a repost
https://youtu.be/VWdZot4A5Fo
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #148
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by aai View Post
just caught it on youtube, sorry if its a repost
https://youtu.be/VWdZot4A5Fo
Definitely not titled accurately- that is testing video. If they were actually going after a time, they'd be the only car on track.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #149
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Don't forget you can get tire temp after the fact via the Cosworth Toolbox when you look at your PDR files. The TPMS record both pressure and temperature. Of course, it is air temp at sensor and not across the outer tread that will vary by position, but, good data nevertheless.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #150
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Here's my best lap video from this past Saturday at a track here in FL called The FIRM http://gorally.com/
  • Fresh AC Delco diff fluid
  • Valvoline 5w-40 MST
  • Motul 660 brake fluid
  • -2.15 front camber
  • -1.5 rear camber
  • 0.08-0.1 total toe
  • PTM: Race
  • Ambient temp by afternoon: 85-90 degrees and sunny

I was able to cut 1.8 seconds off my previous best lap time there and nothing was coming close to my times there that day. Oil temps maxed out at 271 degrees even during the last session I did when it was a full 90 degrees outside. Water temp never went over 216-217. Just crazy how cool the coolant stays. Oh and the driver side lower sway bar end link nut came loose.... again.... twice in that day. Loctite for next time.

Love this car more every time. Next up is Sebring over Memorial day weekend.

*NOTE: Even though the manual says it's off, you can clearly see the stability control icon flashing (and I could feel the system working) even in Race mode.

Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #151
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
There is still TC in Race mode FYI.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #152
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Here's a few from my first Auto X event this weekend, and be assured there's plenty more where these came from as I am now completely addicted!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #153
Sleeks

Drives: None
I hate all you guys in warm weather states. My first track ever (not just in this car, but ever) and its supposed to be in the low to mid 40s.....possible rain. I think I'll just get out and walk, probably faster, LOL.

Hyper Blue 1SS / 1LE
Sleeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #154
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Gave autox a shot today, for the first time in about 10 years. The first couple of runs were definitely a learning experience. I forgot to record the second session, so I only have runs 1, 3, 4, and a short clip that one of my friends caught while working the course (from run 1). Overall, the car felt pretty good. My times were:

Run 1 - 71.147
Run 2 - 73.001 + a million cones
Run 3 - 70.340
Run 4 - 69.882

Run 1

Run 3

Run 4

Drift
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote