Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70T/A400 View Post
Besides the stock sized all season BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S 285/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear you can also try the Max Performance Summer Continental Extreme Contact DW but in a square set-up of 275/40/20 front and 315/35/20 rear.

That's not a square setup, square is the same size on all four corners.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #30
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Best bang for your buck are the BFG's Comp 2's. I've heard great things about the MPSS, but they are just as pricey as the other competitive tires for the ZL1 rims.
Agree BFG Comps 2 A/S are great tires, at low cost that are much better than the Stock GYs and come on our same ZL1 tire sizes
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:32 AM   #31
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
BFG G- Force Comp-2 A/S. It gives you all you want, DD wear, rain traction is excellent. Track use will not let you down either.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #32
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Are you crazy?

I drove my ZL1 a few weeks ago in 40 degree weather with the Good years and I spun 3rd gear from the hit at 3500 RPM until I let off. It would easily chirp every shift and was freaking scary to drive in first gear, it would fishtail at the thought of 2500 RPM in 1st gear. Mine have 3700 miles on them. They're absolutely awful, if I planned on keeping this car they'd definitely be coming off asap. I can't speak to track performance or once they've gotten a burnout but I can speak to everything else. 1st and 2nd gear spin in 80 degree weather and I'm stock.
The goodyear tires are a road course tire, not a cold weather tire, or drag tire. Even at the road course in hot weather they need several laps to come into temp range. On the street they need miles of progressive speed in the twisties to warm up regardless of of the outside ambient temp. Over all they are too close to a dedicated track tire than what they should be. At the track they are much better than the mpss, on the street care must be given to get some heat built up. The tires need to be about 130-150 degrees for optimal grip. For the daily, or cold weather you either need to take the time to get them warm, or replace them with a tire that works in a lower operating temp range at the cost of track performance.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #33
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlForsyth View Post
Follow up: put my MPSS's on at 11k. Car has 16k on it now and rears are half gone, fronts look like new. Again, no burnouts or track days.

Forgot to mention that i was invited to the Michelin Proving Grounds when the new MPSS came out. Put in a C6 w/ GY and a C6 with MPSS and didn't know which tire i had. Let's just say i hammered the AX course w/ the MPSS. Instructor said "now drive it just like you did last time". So i did and i spun the car in the 4th turn...and then found out the second C6 was on the GYs.
Yeah there is no way that you will get the GY up to temp on an AutoX course. Especially in just 4 turns. You would need about 10 to 15 laps around an Autox track.
The tire is designed for a higher operating temp than what you can do at an AutoX.

Try the same comparison on a road course after a few laps. Mpss will turn greasy, and the GY will be in its designed element and stick very well.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #34
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
The goodyear tires are a road course tire, not a cold weather tire, or drag tire. Even at the road course in hot weather they need several laps to come into temp range. On the street they need miles of progressive speed in the twisties to warm up regardless of of the outside ambient temp. Over all they are too close to a dedicated track tire than what they should be. At the track they are much better than the mpss, on the street care must be given to get some heat built up. The tires need to be about 130-150 degrees for optimal grip. For the daily, or cold weather you either need to take the time to get them warm, or replace them with a tire that works in a lower operating temp range at the cost of track performance.
I know all of that. I was responding to the other Forum member that said they were decent in a 30 degree drive he was on.

They're a stupid tire to put on the car from the factory I think. Nobody is ever going to use them like they are meant to be used if you ask me.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #35
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I know all of that. I was responding to the other Forum member that said they were decent in a 30 degree drive he was on.

They're a stupid tire to put on the car from the factory I think. Nobody is ever going to use them like they are meant to be used if you ask me.
Yep in low temps they are like plastic wheels on a big wheel. I love them at the track, or a long drive down the backroads. I don't use the car below 50, I would imagine they are useless at 30!

It is a strange combo, engine loves cold, tires hate cold. But the gy is a great tire in the right circumstance.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #36
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I drove with the f1's for about a couple of years before going with them only for track days. I love the f1's but it gets costly replacing rear tires early due to traction induce wear but I had no problems for the most part with cold weather driving.

When it was cold I drove cautiously like it was a rainy weather day and most importantly I respected the loud pedal.

I love the low profile look of the f1's but my wife prefers the beefy look of the super sports.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 12-25-2016 at 05:42 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #37
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Yep in low temps they are like plastic wheels on a big wheel. I love them at the track, or a long drive down the backroads. I don't use the car below 50, I would imagine they are useless at 30!

It is a strange combo, engine loves cold, tires hate cold. But the gy is a great tire in the right circumstance.
Yeah sure is. I tell ya what, the perfect mix at like ~75 degrees, when the engine runs good and the tires still have a chance, is a lot of fun!
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote