Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Brake Dust Getting You Down????

Haven't seen any threads on this yet, Is it just Me, or are the Brake Pads on the Camaro REALLY giving off ALOT of dust? Mine has 1200 miles now and it seems that My Brite Silver Split Spokes are always DIRTY!!! I think I know why Black Wheels are SO popular now.LOL!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I wash my wheels once a week before cruise night. I have seen this issue mentioned in another thread but I haven't seen any more dust come off my Camaro wheels than I ever saw come off my Mustang or Firebird wheels.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Brake dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drags1998 View Post
Haven't seen any threads on this yet, Is it just Me, or are the Brake Pads on the Camaro REALLY giving off ALOT of dust? Mine has 1200 miles now and it seems that My Brite Silver Split Spokes are always DIRTY!!! I think I know why Black Wheels are SO popular now.LOL!!!
I would rather clean mine often than to have them look like I hit them with a cheap can of flat black spray paint.

I notice the brake dust is definitely there even after a short trip. More so on the front 6 piston than the rear although most of the braking is in the front.
Wheel Team 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Brake dust has been getting me high.. But, that could be due to me having the windows down while braking hard.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #5
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Brake dust has been getting me high.. But, that could be due to me having the windows down while braking hard.
mmmmmm asbestos

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Quiksilver16ss

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
I have the exact same problem on my low gloss black wheels. I'm thinking about trying some brake repel type product on them. Anyone here tried any spray on chemicals yet?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I have the gray machine face rims that seem to do a pretty good job of hiding the dust but they do get dirty.

I wash it once a week using the four bucket method. Two to wash the rims - refill - two to wash the car.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
There are several products that will allow the dust to come off easily, youll still have to wash, but the brake dust will not embed in the paint. Armourall brake repellent is a polymer that works, better is a slica spray like hydro2, best is a true silica coating like Cquartz or 22PLE. All need to adhere to a completely clean wheel, using something like Sonax wheel cleaner the first time.

There is nothing you can do to STOP the dust but replace the pads.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
I know most of you hate caliper covers but I went that route because of brake dust. Didn't eliminate it but I get aaaaaaasasy less then before. Anything that helps.

SnoWhite
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
There are several products that will allow the dust to come off easily, youll still have to wash, but the brake dust will not embed in the paint. Armourall brake repellent is a polymer that works, better is a slica spray like hydro2, best is a true silica coating like Cquartz or 22PLE. All need to adhere to a completely clean wheel, using something like Sonax wheel cleaner the first time.

There is nothing you can do to STOP the dust but replace the pads.
Would using Dawn clean the wheel enough to give it a good base to then apply the products?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I tried the hydro2 but it didn't last long. I'm about to try my third application of it.

Dawn will be good but you need to wipe it down and if it's caked on, you'll need something Sonax.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Just click on Glen's 3rd link: he really lays it out for you. I just ordered the stuff he suggests and am looking forward to cutting down on the problem.

Thanks Glen
Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Get the wheel clean and get a good mini sprayer bottle from CVS that spreads wide, try and hit every spoke with the hydro....then hammer it with the hose hard. Im getting 3 months easy. Mske sure you dilute it correctly. Dust wipes right off, even with Rinse less.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
Phidelt59

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I use deep wheel cleaner from adams polishes with their wheel brush to clean the barrel of the wheel. It works awesome on my low gloss black wheels. Once a week when I wash it.
Black 5 Spoke
Phidelt59 is offline   Reply With Quote