Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
GMs explanation for C7 debacle in MTs Car of the Year

I was reading this article and it expalins in great detail what went wrong with the corvette at MTs Laguna Seca track. Its coming from the top Corvette engineer, so I am sure this has a lot of credibility.

http://jalopnik.com/why-the-corvette...man-1736976325

TL;DR: Engine was fine, poor servicing of intercooler and "forgetting" to change brake pads were the reasons.
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
So they are incompetent..much better. They're trying to say they ran a full blown test on one of America's most famous and storied tracks..and didn't make sure the car was in tip top shape?

Oh it's bad fuel...oh the car got confused...oh this oh that.

Morons.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Yeah there needs to be some firing done over there, if I was in charge I would have lost my shit by now.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #4
BumpinBlueSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
That's the first time I've seen an F-bomb in a car article. Classy! lol
BumpinBlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Yeah, you guys are experts in maintaining a fleet of high performance cars that are regularly getting the P*ss driven out of them by people that drive them like they don't own them. Oh wait, they don't own them.

Yep, mistake were made and I'm sure processes have been adjusted. But to call someone a moron or suggest should be fired who you couldn't do his or her job is pointless.

Sorry, you guys are clueless on what it takes to get this fleet of cars prepped and shipped to a bunch of guys who drive them like taxicabs and then get them back and redone.

Yes, it was embarrassing and I do know Tadge and most of the folks still working on Corvette and I can assure you they are angry and quite embarrassed about this. Morons? No. Fired? Seriously?

The secret let out here is that the cars are actually highly prepped for these reviews.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yeah, you guys are experts in maintaining a fleet of high performance cars that are regularly getting the P*ss driven out of them by people that drive them like they don't own them. Oh wait, they don't own them.

Yep, mistake were made and I'm sure processes have been adjusted. But to call someone a moron or suggest should be fired who you couldn't do his or her job is pointless.

Sorry, you guys are clueless on what it takes to get this fleet of cars prepped and shipped to a bunch of guys who drive them like taxicabs and then get them back and redone.

Yes, it was embarrassing and I do know Tadge and most of the folks still working on Corvette and I can assure you they are angry and quite embarrassed about this. Morons? No. Fired? Seriously?

The secret let out here is that the cars are actually highly prepped for these reviews.
Although I agree with most of what you said... but the part where they said they forgot to change the brake pads... that didnt really go down well with me.. I mean I am sure they have a checklist of stuff to do to prep this up... somehow this, one of the most key components was totally missed. At the end of the day they realize it was completely their fault.. and they missed a big shot at Car of the Year award..
bhavyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
LSLT_Powered26

Drives: 2013 Victory Red Camaro SS
After talking with some people in the know. Motor trend made the situation seem bigger than it really was about the brake pads. They loved the brakes on the street test, then on-site engineers decided to look over the car. So they went ahead an put fresh brakes on before the track test, then motor trend was up in arms because how dare chevy send us a car that has been used before them OMG OMG!!! Chevy had to put new ones on they tried to kill us,OMG GUYS !!!
LSLT_Powered26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs down

I think there is no excuse that those guys did not send the Z06 in good shape and put it in a very bad position, affecting the reputation of the great looking Corvette. Come on, last year's best drivers car was a Z28. This should be a big shame for GM having lazy incompetent Guys that do not know how to do their job, and not having any idea of which was going to be the Big impact of not doing things the right way. Yes, they should get fired for affecting the reputation of GM's top performance car. Don't you think this affected some sales on potential customers and put doubt over the reliability of those cars, to be a 50/50, you could be on top like what was shown on C&D or the No Finish on MT. How would you fell if you where driving at your local track with a car costing about $100,000 that gets overheated and cheaper and older sport car's drivers pass you with a big smile on their faces?
No excuses it's a big Shame for GM. I'm a fan of the Corvette and I hate that this happened. And GM just creating excuses like everybody was dumb and could not understand what happened, a bunch of excuses like: low octane gasoline, oil filter metal particles affecting the engine, etc.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:

If it was the first time I would understand, but its not. How many other manufacturer's have provided busted cars for review?. I don't know the thing first about running a performance division of a car company, but I do know that you ALWAYS measure twice and cut once to avoid screw ups, its common sense not limited to the car industry
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:

Number 3, I certainly understand what you are saying and the Corvette Team's embarrassment not prepping this car correctly. But.... I find it very hard to believe they only have one ZO6/Z07 to send to these comparison events. Unless this car is specially prepared and not just a regular production car off the Bowling Green line. If it is NOT specially prepped, then I cannot imagine that there is only one Z06 available in the entire United States to do all of these comparison tests. Although I do not know for certain, I just can't imagine that there was not another car available at Milford or other facility that they could send. I have agree with some of the others on here, this was a great opportunity lost.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The main issue was the fact that they had to fix a car (because it was busted up by another magazine) in a very short period of time. Have none of you ever made a mistake or two when doing a rush-job in order to hit a deadline? Does that justify sending out a less than perfect car? No, of course not. But its a pretty reasonable & convincing explanation of what happened to me. And beyond that ... the solution isn't to fire anyone. How does that ensure that the next guy (who has less experience) isn't going to make the same mistake? No, you put a more robust check-system in place.

Now, for the other question: Why didn't they have an extra Z06 sitting around? Because keeping an extra copy of every car in their lineup on top of their current press fleet, every single year, would cost an awful lot of money. Alternatively, they could have stolen a car that some customer had already ordered. I'm sure that buyer would have been super happy about that. Having your 100k-ish car that you've been waiting months for delayed for another several weeks because GM gave your car to some magazine to play with?

There likely wouldn't have been an issue if either a) C&D hadn't damaged the car in the first place or b) there was at least 1 more week between the two mega-comparison tests. Neither of those are GM's fault. If I remember correctly, a few years ago Best Drivers Car & Lightning Lap were held several months apart (one was summer, the other in the winter ... I think). Change one of those two things & you don't have the same rush to get the car out, allowing for more time to make sure all the i's are dotted & t's are crossed.

Also ... this thread has nothing to do with the 6th gen Camaro.

Moved to General Automotive & Other Cars
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Shit happens....

It's still a bad ass car.

Most car people respect the Z06/07 and know it will crush most cars twice it's price.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:50 AM   #13
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Wow me thinks some around here are a little defensive..lol, high profile mistakes are embarrassing for sure. To call for a firing or not firing is no one's business here on these pages. it doesn't change the fact that the GM TEAM CHOKED...