Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-22-2023, 01:41 PM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
PSA HP Tuners Standalone Logging Doesn't Work with Newer Camaros

I just wanted to let folks know that that standalone logging feature that HP Tuners markets as a primary feature for the MPVI2+ or MPVI3 device does not work at all with the 2023 Camaro. You can't even log one channel for more than a second. It's completely non-functional.

Under supported vehicles, the 2023 Camaro 6.2 is listed with no disclaimers about the standalone logging feature. I've tried the standalone logging with both of my 2023 Camaros and neither work. I also tried it on a 2022 Silverado 2500HD Diesel and it didn't work. On my 2017 Camaro, it works perfectly fine. It's possible other vehicles are non-functional as well, but this is what I know for sure.

I originally reported this issue to HP Tuners in May of this year (ticket #102145). They worked with me long enough to confirm it wasn't working, but then basically have done nothing since. They haven't made fixing the bug a priority nor have they made any attempt to disclose to future customers that the feature does not work. It's certainly undertstandable to have issues, but they need to do the right thing and not act like vehicles are fully supported when they clearly aren't.

I pulled this screenshot from their website today (9/22/23). They still promote this feature as if it works universally in spite of knowing since May that it doesn't.
Name:  Hp Tuners Ad.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  154.3 KB

If anyone else is having the same issue, please help me put some pressure on HP Tuners to get this working. If they can make it work with a laptop, it stands to reason that they can make it work standalone. It's not always convienent to have a laptop out on the road course.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:44 PM   #2
travislambert

To further prove my point, I had a friend contact HP Tuners today with the following question.

Quote:
I'm interested in logging data from my 2023 Camaro SS 6.2, and I'm trying to figure out what I would need. I see the MPVI3 has standalone logging which is important because I only have a desktop computer. If I'm not flashing the ECM, do I need to buy credits too? Please let me know what I need to make this work.
Of course, they forgot to mention in their response that their MPVI3 doesn't work for standalone logging at all on the 2023 Camaro. It's not negligence, it's criminal. They are fully aware what this potential customer asked for would not work at all.

Quote:
Good Afternoon,

To create a custom tune for your 2023 Chevy Camaro SS you will need to purchase an MPVI3 with VCM Suite Software which costs $399.99 and purchase 4 universal credits which cost $49.99 each to license the vehicle to the MPVI3. If you would like to log a Wide Band O2 sensor with a 0-5v output I would recommend that you purchase Pro Link Cable.
You can purchase the MPVI3, credits and pro link cable here https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi3/
We offer custom tuning software (tools) that the professional tuner shop or hardcore enthusiast uses to create their own custom tunes.
While the MPVI3 (which comes with VCM Suite, VCM Editor, and a programming cable) provides full tuning support for your vehicle, it does not include any base/canned tunes, nor can we provide any specific guidance when it comes to tuning.

You can, however, buy the MPVI3 and use it to collaborate with your favorite professional tuner--even if that tuner shop isn't local to you.
If both you and the shop you are working with have an MPVI device, they can serve you via email.

The MPVI3 gives you the flexibility to work with a professional tuner or tune the vehicle yourself--if you aspire to do so.
Furthermore, places like The Tuning School offer books and training if you are looking for specific guidance.

With that noted, the MPVI3 comes with everything you need, minus credits.
The device, cable, and software (tuning software and scanning software) are $399.99

It will run on any reasonably modern Windows 10 machine.
(4+ GB of RAM, small to mid-sized laptop, Surface Pro, etc)

At the point of purchase or any time thereafter, you can add credits to cover the license fee for each VIN you tune, but you only consume credits (license fee) the first time you tune a new vehicle.
You can then tune that car for free after the initial credit consumption; you are not charged for making additional tuning revisions.

Most vehicles are 2 credits and credits are $49.99 each, though some vehicles are 4 credits, 6 credits, or 8 credits.
The complete list of applications and credits consumed for each is here: https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

This "pay as you go" is far better for the pro and for the casual tuner, as you do not have to come thousands of dollars out of pocket for tuning software.
If a shop does thousands of tunes, they will buy thousands of licenses.
If you only need to tune 2 cars, you will only buy 2 licenses.
HP Tuners is infinitely scalable!

You can buy the MPVI3 here: https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi3/

You can add credits during checkout or you can buy them after you receive the device by creating a login at www.HPTuners.com and adding your device under "My Devices".

Once the device is added to your profile, simply click "Add Credits".

Training:
HP Tuners focuses on developing the best custom tuning software possible.
Though we support the functionality of the tool, we do not teach tuning theory, nor do we create base or "startup" calibrations.
However, there are many resources available to you if you'd like to learn how to tune.

First, there is the HP Tuners forum. Many shops and enthusiasts post their tuning experiences, exchange files and help each other out in the HP Tuners forum.
This is a valuable, free resource that we hope you use!
You can register here: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/forum.php

We can not overstate the value of the HP Tuners forum.
Many shops and enthusiasts are eager to help!

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Infuriating. I’m sure we’d be better off without them.

Hopefully you can drive them out of business and to jail!
Old 09-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Out of curiosity, did you post up a thread in the Gen V Forum on the HP Tuners message board? Be curious if other guys have seen the same thing and surprised it isn’t being talked about more.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #5
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Infuriating. I’m sure we’d be better off without them.

Hopefully you can drive them out of business and to jail!
My only goals are to keep them honest and to keep other buyers informed. It seems HP Tuners has forgotten they are dealing with real people who work hard for their money.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6

Last edited by travislambert; 09-22-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:09 PM   #6
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Out of curiosity, did you post up a thread in the Gen V Forum on the HP Tuners message board? Be curious if other guys have seen the same thing and surprised it isn’t being talked about more.
I figured they'd just delete my thread, so I hadn't. It's posted now.

My assumption is people just work around the lack of standalone logging by using a laptop. There probably aren't many people tuning newer vehicles to begin with. Of those, I imagine it's mostly shops etc. who use laptops.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
travislambert

It's probably worth mentioning that I've tried multiple hardware devices. I have an MPVI3 and a MPVI2+. Neither work on the new cars.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2023, 05:32 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I figured they'd just delete my thread, so I hadn't. It's posted now.

My assumption is people just work around the lack of standalone logging by using a laptop. There probably aren't many people tuning newer vehicles to begin with. Of those, I imagine it's mostly shops etc. who use laptops.
Ah, ok. I’ve always used a laptop personally and think you’re right that most tuners are just used to breaking out the laptop every time. But if HPT advertises stand-alone they should make good on their promise.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #9
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Sorry for the ignorance, by standalone data logging you mean using the VCM Scanner software with an MPVI device to save a log file of a run right?

I'll have to dig out my MPVI2+ and try it with my car for some logging, only ever used it for my 2016 but if it doesn't work with my 2022 then it's another reason to get rid of mine then lol
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:35 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, by standalone data logging you mean using the VCM Scanner software with an MPVI device to save a log file of a run right?

I'll have to dig out my MPVI2+ and try it with my car for some logging, only ever used it for my 2016 but if it doesn't work with my 2022 then it's another reason to get rid of mine then lol
I think this should work without a laptop and VCM Scanner, starting data capture just by pressing a physical button or buttons on the MPVI itself, then one is supposed to be able to save the generated log off of the MPVI and analyze it when done driving.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post

The MPVI devices have a feature which allows it to log data channels from the vehicle without a laptop being connected. You use the VCM scanner software to configure the channels you wish to log and how you would like to start and stop the logging. Once configured properly, it should no longer be required to have the laptop connected to log via the DLC/OBDII port. The logs are stored onto flash memory within the device itself to be retreived at a later time once connected to a computer.

I run both of my newer cars on road courses, so it's not always convienent to have the laptop tucked somewhere. Normally, I use the pocket behind the passenger seat, but I can't reach it once I put on the HANS and belts. Also, it's a pain to have the USB cable running from the device to the laptop. It gets in the way sometimes when getting in and out of the car.

Standalone logging would be much nicer. It's frustrating that it doesn't work on vehicles they claim to support. They know it doesn't work, yet they continue to sell to people without a heads up about the lack of functionality. It's dishonest business.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2023, 07:41 PM   #12
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Wow guess you learn something new everyday, then again I’ll have to see if it works on my car but if I’d have known that before my laptop would’ve thanked me not having to be slide around the passenger seat for logs
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:30 PM   #13
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Looks like a canned response from customer service. I assume they aren't being malicious- likely just negligent. They have likely grown to be a much larger company than they used to be. Left hand probably doesn't talk to right hand as much as they used to, and things likely take 3-4x as long as they used to.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #14
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Looks like a canned response from customer service. I assume they aren't being malicious- likely just negligent. They have likely grown to be a much larger company than they used to be. Left hand probably doesn't talk to right hand as much as they used to, and things likely take 3-4x as long as they used to.
I mostly agree with what you're saying, at least as far as their response goes. However, let's say my friend took their advice. Now, without a laptop, the device is useless to him. He would be forced to purchase a laptop or accept that he wasted his money. HP Tuners wouldn't consider a refund after he opened the device and tried to use it to datalog, I guarantee it.

Also, being a large company doesn't excuse them from their lack of disclosures about major missing functionality with their "supported vehicles".

Companies need to do better. Keep in mind, I've emailed them numerous times over the past few months and have asked for them to fix the bug or disclose the lack of functionality on their website. They have done neither, which is dishonest no matter how you slice it. Only after their lack of action have I decided to post about their unethical business practices.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6