Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
First HPDE Track Event with my ZL1 1LE - Questions

I have a couple questions about my first HPDE track event with my ZLE.

The car - 2019 ZL1 1LE M6 with bolt-ons and about 2500 miles on it & with stock tires.

My experience - 1ea 2 day HPDE event, 1ea 1 day SCCA event - both in previous 5 gen camaro. So I have some experience on a track, but obviously I still have LOTS to learn.

The track - Grandsport Speedway (1 day event) - A small, fairly low speed track.

Car prep (sofar) - My engine oil and diff fluid were both changed at 1500 miles. And I will be flushing the brake system soon with Castrol SRF.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should do the track settings for the suspension? My thinking is with my lack of experience, that leaving it with stock factory settings would be ok. And that you need to be a good driver to start seeing gains of the more aggressive settings - am I totally wrong here?

Also, I would have my main settings in track mode, but what about the performance traction control settings - with my experience, what setting would be best to start out with?
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I would have the alignment checked regardless of if you track it or want the track settings my car was toe'd out pretty bad and wore the fronts noticeable with no track use.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
suzbndt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2011 Mustang GT
Just use the track alignment in the performance book that came with it. Car rocks stock which is why I bought one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
suzbndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfronty View Post
I have a couple questions about my first HPDE track event with my ZLE.

The car - 2019 ZL1 1LE M6 with bolt-ons and about 2500 miles on it & with stock tires.

My experience - 1ea 2 day HPDE event, 1ea 1 day SCCA event - both in previous 5 gen camaro. So I have some experience on a track, but obviously I still have LOTS to learn.

The track - Grandsport Speedway (1 day event) - A small, fairly low speed track.

Car prep (sofar) - My engine oil and diff fluid were both changed at 1500 miles. And I will be flushing the brake system soon with Castrol SRF.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should do the track settings for the suspension? My thinking is with my lack of experience, that leaving it with stock factory settings would be ok. And that you need to be a good driver to start seeing gains of the more aggressive settings - am I totally wrong here?

Also, I would have my main settings in track mode, but what about the performance traction control settings - with my experience, what setting would be best to start out with?

I've done GS several times. You'll want to do the track alignment to minimize tire wear on the outside of your tires. GS is a lot like a high speed autox. The first event I did in my ZLE was an autox practice at greyhound Park near GS. I had the street alignment and it chewed up the outsides of the tires fairly quickly.

I highly recommend Sal's speed shop for the alignment if you don't already have a shop in mind.

With that said, it won't be a disaster if you don't get the track alignment for a single track day out there.

What's your track date? I may join you or at least come out there to say hi.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Grand sport and MSR I think it would be worth it. small police academy cone set up not worth the trouble you need a Miata or lotus lol..

The fluid is a must.. 2 sessions back to back at grand sport and you will be spongy usually there are cool downs but, if your sharing the car with GF/wifey watch out..

Get car aligned and mess with camber plates on your own chose to drive on street or swap back n forth if your not ok with wear.. a lot people found that leaving the camber in made the tire wear back evenly since the outsides take the abuse!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
rdrfronty

Ok, sounds like I do need to go with the track alignment.

The HPDE event is put on by HOD and is Sep 13th on a Sunday.

Any input on traction control settings - Sport 1, Sport 2, Track etc?
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
Old 08-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Highly suggest PTM mode Sport 1.

I am a novice HPDE driver and found it was the right level of fun/safety. I would not do the event at ALL in anything but a PTM mode in my opinion. So that being said, Dry or Sport 1 should be the best blend of fun/safety. You may want to start out in Dry and if you feel it is holding back on acceleration or just being too safe go Sport 1.

I had to go to PTM Race mode on a wet skid pad to get any kind of under/over steering to occur <60 mph in wet conditions on the non SC3 F1 (non R version).

I used the factory track alignment and recommended tire pressures. I would keep an on the tires this time the year especially in Texas, you may need to make additional adjustments after your first session. Suggest having the tire temp display up during your first session to make sure you aren't overheating them grossly.

Last edited by LiqTenExp; 08-12-2020 at 11:20 AM.
LiqTenExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Ok, sounds like I do need to go with the track alignment.

The HPDE event is put on by HOD and is Sep 13th on a Sunday.

Any input on traction control settings - Sport 1, Sport 2, Track etc?
I do PTM dry until tires are warm and then sport 1. I just did a time trial at msrh in dry mode the whole event because the track was wet in spots and I'm still new to this car. Even though you definitely feel it slowing you down coming out of turns, dry mode is still pretty damn fast!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
Highly suggest PTM mode Sport 1.

I am a novice HPDE driver and found it was the right level of fun/safety. I would not do the event at ALL in anything but a PTM mode in my opinion. So that being said, Dry or Sport 1 should be the best blend of fun/safety. You may want to start out in Dry and if you feel it is holding back on acceleration or just being too safe go Sport 1.

I had to go to PTM Race mode on a wet skid pad to get any kind of under/over steering to occur <60 mph in wet conditions on the non SC3 F1 (non R version).

I used the factory track alignment and recommended tire pressures. I would keep an on the tires this time the year especially in Texas, you may need to make additional adjustments after your first session. Suggest having the tire temp display up during your first session to make sure you aren't overheating them grossly.
+1 on the tire pressures. Should be a hot track so start out around 27psi cold and shoot for 34psi hot (at least that's what I do). You definitely have to let some air out of the fronts at some point or two.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Techdude99

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
The first thing I did was SRF.

Follow the high performance supplement.

Start with Sport 1.

One of the unique features of the car, at least when I drove at Barber - the faster you go, the better it sticks.

Obviously, don't overdue it, but it's an amazingly capable car completely stock.
Techdude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
rdrfronty

Ok, thanks for the input everyone.
I'll get my SRF fluid done when it comes in (it's ordered).
I'll see if I can find a shop to do/check my alignment & then change it to the "track" camber setting before I go to the track.
Set the tires to the 26-28psi range.
Start of with PTM in Dry, then Sport 1 after tires warmed up.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
BTW, for alignments

Lonestar had a decent alignment guy for the Northside Troy

Sugarland classic his name is Rick tell him I sent ya(jack w yellow Z)

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
rdrfronty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
BTW, for alignments

Lonestar had a decent alignment guy for the Northside Troy

Sugarland classic his name is Rick tell him I sent ya(jack w yellow Z)
So the chevy dealerships can do these track alignments?
Old 08-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
ZRacerLE

Quote:
So the chevy dealerships can do these track alignments?
I've heard they can if they have someone good enough to do it. Same with places like Firestone. Just have to get lucky.