Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
At this point, adding port injection and running ethanol seems to be the way to go on a FI car. Then you don't even have to fool with upgrading to LT4 fueling.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:52 PM   #16
jstanton

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Not to get side tracked from my original post but would an LT4 supercharger change anything instead of a ProCharger?
jstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #17
adamjwilson

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
I would imagine I would need a flex fuel kit also or no?
Yes... your choice on the E85 kit (a few manufacturers out there) I personally have the DSX E85 kit- the flex fuel kit will be needed to run E85 or any blend of E.

As for the LT4 fueling (if needed for your current HP goals).... LT4 high pressure fuel pump (currently there is a nationwide shortage (go figure) so there are some crazy marked up prices on those at the moment.) LT4 injectors will be needed at some point- your current injectors should handle the 500whp but the set of 8 of LT4 injectors is not crazily expensive to get ATM... your current LP fuel pump in the tank should be good to go with your goal. DSX Tuning has these items but will B/O the LT4 high pressure fuel pump. Do a google search for the best prices as it has been a while since I got mine.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #18
adamjwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
At this point, adding port injection and running ethanol seems to be the way to go on a FI car. Then you don't even have to fool with upgrading to LT4 fueling.
Agreed, but port injection plates may be a tad over kill for the 5-550 HP range he is looking for. TooHighPSI can handle all your port injection needs
Old 03-27-2023, 03:53 PM   #19
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Could just go with the MSD manifold instead of running plates. LT4 stuff isn't cheap and he would have more headroom in the future, we all say the next part is the last one and we're just going to enjoy the car. Plus with port injection you'll have fuel cleaning the intake valves.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:55 PM   #20
jstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
Yes... your choice on the E85 kit (a few manufacturers out there) I personally have the DSX E85 kit- the flex fuel kit will be needed to run E85 or any blend of E.

As for the LT4 fueling (if needed for your current HP goals).... LT4 high pressure fuel pump (currently there is a nationwide shortage (go figure) so there are some crazy marked up prices on those at the moment.) LT4 injectors will be needed at some point- your current injectors should handle the 500whp but the set of 8 of LT4 injectors is not crazily expensive to get ATM... your current LP fuel pump in the tank should be good to go with your goal. DSX Tuning has these items but will B/O the LT4 high pressure fuel pump. Do a google search for the best prices as it has been a while since I got mine.
Thanks for the info Adam!

I've never run ethanol on anything before, how does that affect the performace?
Old 03-27-2023, 04:08 PM   #21
adamjwilson

The LT1 engine LOVE E fuel... I normally run a blend 50% E85 and 50% 93 octane. You will see a HP boost running E for sure. King or CP can correct me if I am wrong here, but I think it is like a 25-45 HP gain over 93. MPG will suffer but the HP gains..
The easiest mods are a cold air intake, E85 kit, maybe aftermarket exhaust (Corsa or Borla), and a tune. You will need a tune after installing the E85 kit. Normally tuning your ECM will void your powertrain warranty, so if this is a concern, ask you local dealer to be sure. I have seen it both ways here. I voided my powertrain warranty long time ago with about 200 miles on the car...lol.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #22
adamjwilson

Quote:
Could just go with the MSD manifold instead of running plates. LT4 stuff isn't cheap and he would have more headroom in the future, we all say the next part is the last one and we're just going to enjoy the car. Plus with port injection you'll have fuel cleaning the intake valves.
Totally agree that LT4 fueling is crazy expensive at this time! As for cleaning the intake valves (and for cooling)... that is why I am running Meth
I do see port injection in my future though with drilling the rails on the Whipple, but that is next year at best. MSD is a cheaper option for sure.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:52 PM   #23
jstanton

Quote:
So are you saying if I installed a MSD Atomic Airforce intake I wouldn't need to upgrade to the LT4 HPFP and injectors to run a ProCharger? I would still install a flex fuel system and run E though.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:14 PM   #24
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanton View Post
So are you saying if I installed a MSD Atomic Airforce intake I wouldn't need to upgrade to the LT4 HPFP and injectors to run a ProCharger? I would still install a flex fuel system and run E though.
No if you install the MSD then you plumb the manifold for port injection as a fuel system upgrade. Either way you go the fuel system needs upgraded in order to run boost and especially any amount of Ethanol. The problem is DI fuel upgrades (LT4 fueling for example) have skyrocketed in the last 6 months which makes port injection a much more attractive option.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:39 PM   #25
jstanton

Thank you to everyone for the great advise! After much soul searching and personal reflection, I have decided to wait on a super charger or any mods that require a tune that could void my warranty. Being this car is my daily driver, I would really like to keep my warranty in tact as long as possible. So for the time being I think I will just keep it stock and add an axle back exhaust for better sound!

Again thank you everyone for the advise and education!
Old 03-27-2023, 11:14 PM   #26
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
Mastmotorsports.com also has an LT2 fitted for port with rails for a very reasonable price. When I called they said they had not been pressure tested for high boost such as 12-22 but are great for low boost.

Current build in progress 2016 GMC4x4 RCSB twin hair dryers ~1k whp fbe port inj 1/8 mi & stealth street terror
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:15 AM   #27
adamjwilson

@Jstanton- you have alot of advice here... you have provided us your HP goals (500-550 HP) but what is your budget? Alot of what you wanting depends on a budget you have for these mods... you will need to advise the forum here
But if you want to leave your warranty intact... then keep the car STOCK. Most/All the mods you are wanting will void the warranty after the required tune.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:24 PM   #28
jstanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjwilson View Post
@Jstanton- you have alot of advice here... you have provided us your HP goals (500-550 HP) but what is your budget? Alot of what you wanting depends on a budget you have for these mods... you will need to advise the forum here
But if you want to leave your warranty intact... then keep the car STOCK. Most/All the mods you are wanting will void the warranty after the required tune.
I have decided to avoid doing anything that will void my factory warranty for the time being. When I thought I wanted to go the procharger route, I had planned to spend about $12k but did not realize I would need to upgrade the fuel system and run ethanol to do it right. When I get outside my warranty, I will revisit this subject again, or I may be in a position to trade in on a ZL1.

Tags
1le, boost, procharger, super charger, supercharger